Essex music festivalgoer's death linked to amphetamine

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionFestival organisers say they have a zero tolerance policy over drugs

A man has died and his girlfriend is ill after attending a music festival in Essex where they are thought to have taken an amphetamine substance.

They were at the Brownstock festival at Stow Maries near South Woodham Ferrers and took 5-EAPB, police said.

The man, in his 30s, died at Basildon Hospital on Sunday. His girlfriend's condition was said to be stable.

A second man, a friend of the couple, is also undergoing tests. All three who were taken ill are from central Essex.

The substance was bought over the internet to be used at the music festival, police said.

Police warnings about the drug were circulated to people attending the last night of the festival.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites