Timeline: Murders of Betty Yates and Rev John Suddards

Betty Yates and the Reverend John Suddards
Image caption Betty Yates and the Rev John Suddards were both found stabbed to death in their homes

Separate murder investigations were begun in Worcestershire and Thornbury, near Bristol, in early 2012.

Retired teacher Betty Yates and parish priest John Suddards had both been stabbed to death in their homes, within days of each other.

Drifter Stephen Farrow was later charged with killing them both.

A jury at Bristol Crown Court has now convicted the 48-year-old of murdering Mr Suddards, 59, from Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, and Mrs Yates, 77, from Bewdley in Worcestershire.

The following shows the key events in the investigations in the case against Farrow:

4 January 2012

A murder investigation begins after the body of an elderly woman is found by police at a cottage in Bewdley, Worcestershire.

6 January 2012

The victim is named as 77-year-old retired teacher Betty Yates. A post-mortem examination reveals she died of a stab wound after she was attacked with a knife.

9 January 2012

Police say a knife found near Mrs Yates's cottage is believed to be the murder weapon.

12 January 2012

An inquest is opened into Mrs Yates's death and it is revealed she had been stabbed in the neck.

16 January 2012

Detectives investigating the murder say they think Mrs Yates was assaulted with her walking stick before she was stabbed.

20 January 2012

Two anonymous letters are sent to police investigating the murder, giving them two new lines of inquiry. Officers appeal for the authors to come forward.

23 January 2012

Crimestoppers offers a £10,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of Mrs Yates's killer.

26 January 2012

Police receive "a handful" of calls after an appeal on BBC One's Crimewatch. Officers say they are now looking for the owner of a silver Audi estate seen nearby on 2 January.

30 January 2012

The family of Betty Yates appeal for help to find her killer.

4 February 2012

Police arrest a man in connection with the murder of Mrs Yates. He is later released on bail.

8 February 2012

Police release descriptions of two men they want to speak to who were seen separately on 2 January between Riverside Caravan Park and the cottage where Mrs Yates lived.

14 February 2012

Police say they are treating the death of a vicar, the Reverend John Suddards, at his vicarage in Thornbury, near Bristol, as suspicious.

15 February 2012

A 43-year-old man is arrested on suspicion of the murder of Mr Suddards. A post-mortem examination reveals he died from multiple stab wounds.

17 February 2012

Police appeal to trace a man seen sat outside Mr Suddards' church between 18:00 GMT and 20:00 GMT on 13 February. Hundreds of people take part in a church service to mark the death of the vicar.

18 February 2012

Stephen Farrow, 47, is named as a suspect in the murder of Mr Suddards. A 43-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder is released on police bail.

19 February 2012

Farrow is arrested in Folkestone, Kent. Avon and Somerset Police say they are working with West Mercia Police to explore any links to the murder of Mrs Yates.

22 February 2012

Farrow is charged with murdering both Mr Suddards and Mrs Yates. He is also charged with the burglary of a property in Thornbury between 21 December and 3 January.

29 February 2012

The first man to be arrested on suspicion of the murder of Mr Suddards is eliminated from the police investigation.

29 June 2012

Farrow pleads not guilty to murdering Mr Suddards and Mrs Yates. He admits the burglary charge.

4 October 2012

Farrow goes on trial at Bristol Crown Court for the murder of Mr Suddards and Mrs Yates. The jury is told he has admitted the manslaughter of Mr Suddards.

2 November 2012

Farrow found guilty of murdering both Mr Suddards, 59, from Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, and Mrs Yates, 77, from Bewdley in Worcestershire.

More on this story