Baby dies after choking at Ramillies Hall School nursery

Ramillies Hall School
Image caption Ramillies Hall School, in Cheadle Hulme, said it was a "devastating tragedy"

A nine-month-old girl has died after choking at a school nursery in Greater Manchester.

Police were called to Ramillies Hall School, in Cheadle Hulme, to reports of a child choking on food shortly after 12:20 BST on Tuesday.

The baby girl was taken to Stepping Hill Hospital but died a short time later.

School principal Anne Poole said their deepest sympathies were with the child's family.

She said: "It is with immense sadness that I can confirm that a child attending our nursery died yesterday.

"Clearly this is a devastating tragedy, and our deepest sympathies are with the child's family.

'Co-operating fully'

"As is right and proper, the police are now investigating this matter and we are co-operating fully with officers' inquiries."

She added: "The health, safety and welfare of all children at Ramillies Hall School are taken very seriously, and we have robust policies in place.

"Our most recent inspection was in 2010 which found us to be compliant in all such areas. Due to the police investigation, we are unable to make any further comment and other questions should be directed to Greater Manchester Police."

Greater Manchester Police said inquiries were continuing.

A spokesman for North West Ambulance Service said: "We received a 999 call at 11:52 BST with reports of a child choking on food."

He added that a crew arrived at the school 10 minutes later.

The school, which is privately run, cares for and educates children aged from six months to 16 years.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites