Rob da Bank: Bestival fatal coach crash fund planned

Scene of the coach crash on the A3 in Surrey
Image caption Police said the crash was not thought to have been caused by the road conditions or the weather

The music festival Bestival plans to set up a fund for those affected by a coach crash in which three people died.

The vehicle was returning to Merseyside from the event on the Isle of Wight when it hit a tree on the A3 at Hindhead in Surrey on 10 September.

Surrey Police have now formally identified the third victim as Kerry Lynne Ogden, 23, of Maghull, Liverpool.

Driver Colin Daulby, 63, from Merseyside and Michael Molloy, 18, from Woolton, south Liverpool, also died.

Bestival promoter Robert Gorham - better known as Rob da Bank - confirmed the plans on Twitter to set up the fund.

Mr Gorham, who is also a BBC Radio 1 DJ, tweeted: "We will be launching a @Bestival fund for those affected by the crash in next 24 hours...and appreciate how many people wanna help/donate :)"

He also wrote: "Sendin out positive vibes from the @bestival family to all those affected and recovering from the a3 crash..especially Zach Washington-young."

Fifty injured

A total of 50 passengers, aged between 22 and 28, were injured and three people remain in hospital.

A 21-year-old man is described as having life-changing injuries and two other people remain in a serious condition.

Post-mortem examinations have been carried out on the three people who died and an inquest has been opened and adjourned.

Ms Ogden's father Rob paid tribute to his daughter.

He said: "She was doing what she loved most - she loved her music that's why she was at the festival.

"She had a very kind, understanding nature and we're devastated.

"I would just like to say that the family has been overwhelmed by the support and sympathy shown to us by Kerry's friends and those of the family and it has been much appreciated.

"It is a traumatic time for us but we are aware of those who are similarly suffering and I would like to pass on my condolences to them."

The 52-seater coach was travelling north on the A3 when it hit a tree between the Hindhead Tunnel and Thursley exit.

Surrey Police said neither the road conditions nor the weather were thought to be factors in the crash.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites