Man jailed for Kent murder after man's throat was cut

Baljinder Singh Kooner
Image caption Baljinder Kooner will be deported to India on his release from jail

The brother of a woman having an affair with a married man has been jailed for life for his part in murdering him.

Kamaljit Kalon, also known as Bobby, 31, drowned in his own blood after his throat was slit on a busy riverside promenade in Gravesend, in July 2003.

Baljinder Singh Kooner, 35, of no fixed address, was told he would serve a minimum of 12 years after he was convicted of murder at the Old Bailey.

The court heard how he held down Mr Kalon while his cousin cut his throat.

Guijinder Singh Gurewal, 33, of no fixed address, previously pleaded guilty to murder and was jailed for life in September 2008.

Both killers fled overseas following the murder.

'Tempestuous relationship'

Kooner was brought back to Britain after being detained in France under a European arrest warrant in October 2009.

The failed asylum seeker, who arrived in Britain in 2002, faces deportation to India upon his eventual release.

The Old Bailey heard Mr Kalon was killed in front of teenagers beside an ice cream kiosk during a "showdown" with the woman's relatives, who celebrated as he lay dying before running off.

He was bitten and beaten and suffered more than 30 stab wounds.

John Price QC, prosecuting, said: "This was a comparatively short, extremely violent, no doubt very distressing incident to witness, all the more shocking for it taking place in public in a place where people were enjoying themselves."

Mr Kalon, from Sidcup in south-east London, was married with stepchildren.

Image caption Kamaljit Kalon was stabbed to death on the busy riverside promenade in Gravesend in July 2003

The court heard there had been a series of "unpleasant incidents" over his close friendship with Kooner's married sister, Pindi, which was described by the judge as a "tempestuous relationship".

Mr Price said it "engendered strong feelings" both in her husband and the wider family on both sides and matters "came to a head".

He said: "The promenade area of Gravesend which runs alongside the south bank of the River Thames was thronging with people.

"Suddenly, amongst them all, there broke out a violent struggle between three men.

"Within a matter of minutes one of those men was left dying on the ground, the victim of multiple stab wounds and his throat having been cut across its width."

Mr Price said Mr Kalon "literally drowned in his own blood".

He also suffered three bite marks to his arm, which tests matched to Kooner.

Judge Brian Barker, the Common Serjeant of London, said: "It was some sort of showdown. This was a vicious attack and Bobby was shown no mercy."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites