Tunisia survivor 'tried to save fiancee Carly Lovett'

Liam Moore and his fiance Carly Lovett
Image caption Liam Moore told the inquest that he tried to save his fiancee Carly Lovett during the attack

The fiance of a woman killed in the Tunisia terror attack has told an inquest how he tried to save her life.

The inquest heard that Liam Moore and Carly Lovett, 24, said they loved each other before he began CPR on her.

Ms Lovett, from Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, was among 38 people killed in the attack in Sousse in 2015.

The inquest also heard from other survivors, including those who described coming face-to-face with gunman Seifeddine Rezgui.

The inquests into the deaths of 30 British victims heard how Ms Lovett and Mr Moore ran from the pool area of the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel after hearing gunshots on the beach on 26 June 2015.

In a statement to the inquest at the Royal Courts of Justice, Mr Moore described the couple comforting each other in a staff area at the hotel before an "explosion".

'Massive bang'

Mr Moore said: "We were standing close to each other, just hugging each other and holding each other's hands.

"Carly was saying that she was scared and I said I was too, but that we would get out of there."

He said he heard a "massive bang" and thought there must have been an explosion very close to where they were standing.

The inquest heard that he then saw his fiancee lying on her front in the doorway of one of the offices.

Image copyright PA
Image caption Ms Lovett, from Lincolnshire, was among 38 people killed in the attack in Sousse in 2015

He said he turned her on her back and she was surrounded by blood.

"She told me she loved me and I told her I loved her too," said Mr Moore, who described seeing a wound on her inner arm.

The inquest heard that Ms Lovett and Mr Moore had been together for 10 years.

Image copyright PA
Image caption John Stollery ran towards the Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel with his wife Cheryl after hearing gunshots, the inquest heard

The inquest also heard from Cheryl Stollery, from Walesby, Nottinghamshire, who described how she and her husband heard gunshots about 11:50 local time when they started running towards the hotel.

She said that as they were running she saw a gunman dressed in black trousers and a black shirt run past her.

"The gunman went past me," she said.

"I expected him [John] to be at the side of me or just behind me. And when I turned around John was on the floor.

"I screamed 'No' very loudly and 'John, John'. I went back up to him, stood over him and I could see from that moment he had already died."

She decided to hide in a phone booth after hearing men speaking in Arabic, the inquest heard.

But as she entered, the light came on, so she climbed in a chair and covered it with one hand, while holding the door closed with her other hand.

Mrs Stollery told the hearing that while in the booth she saw two men with guns walk past, so she stayed in the booth for about seven minutes.

She then was led to a laundry room by a man she recognised as the site gardener, who helped to hide her.

Image caption Gina Van Dort and her husband Chris Dyer tried to hide from the gunman

Another survivor, Gina Van Dort, described how she and her husband Chris Dyer, 32, were shot as they crouched behind a car, trying to hide.

In a statement, she said: "I realised I was still alive.

"I closed my eyes, I stopped breathing - I was pretending to be dead. I remember counting three breaths, and it was over.

"When I couldn't hold my breath any longer, I opened my eyes."

Her husband, Chris, from Watford, Hertfordshire, died.

Image copyright Suffolk Police
Image caption Stuart Cullen died in the attack

Christine Cullen, the wife of Stuart Cullen, who died in the attack, said she saw the gunman throw a bomb towards them.

The inquest heard Mrs Cullen felt a pain in her leg and she dropped to the floor.

She saw her husband lying on the floor and she tried to stop the blood flow from his neck, she said.

"I told him I could not stop the surge of blood. I told him I loved him and he told me he loved me. I knew he was dying," she said.

The inquest was told that Rezgui then walked towards the couple, from Lowestoft, Suffolk, and despite Mrs Cullen's cries of "No, No", shot Mr Cullen.

Mrs Cullen told the court her life and happiness died the day her husband did.

More on this story