UK

Moonpig apologises for delayed Mother's Day deliveries

Moonpig logo Image copyright Moonpig

Moonpig has apologised after dozens of customers complained about deliveries of cards and flowers for Mother's Day.

The greeting card company's Twitter and Facebook feeds were inundated with complaints from people who said gifts had either not arrived or had turned up damaged.

Moonpig said there had been "an issue" with a supplier which had delayed the delivery of flowers to some customers.

The company apologised and said it had compensated those who were affected.

Moonpig had previously advertised on television that gifts ordered by 14:00 GMT on 4 March and flowers ordered by 16:00 on 5 March would be delivered in time for Mother's Day, with couriers delivering on Sunday.

'Dumped in garden'

One of those customers affected was Donna Shiell, from Farnham in Surrey, who bought flowers from Moonpig as a surprise for her mother.

Donna said she had hoped her mother would receive a knock on the door and be handed the flowers in person.

But instead she found the "freezing", damaged flowers at the bottom of her garden, outside of their protective wrapping, on Sunday afternoon.

Donna, 34, said: "They look awful. They look like they were dumped in the garden and have been blown around all day and are now looking dead. Some of the heads are broken.

"They looked so nice in the photo on the website, but honestly I would have got better flowers from the garage."

Image copyright Twitter
Image caption Customers took to Twitter and Facebook to complain about their deliveries
Image copyright Matt Hunter
Image copyright Facebook
Image caption Customers complained on both Moonpig's Facebook and Twitter feeds

Alison Arnold, from Thetford in Norfolk, was spending her first Mother's Day away from her son, Jack, who is in his first year at Hull University.

Jack ordered a card for his mother on Tuesday but asked for it to be dispatched first class on Thursday - so that it would arrive on Friday or Saturday - but the card did not arrive in time.

Alison, 43, said: "It was my first Mother's Day without him being there.

"He knew it was a big deal for me, which was why he ordered the card early. I'm upset."

Moonpig says that 90% of first class deliveries arrive the following day, but the remaining 10% can arrive up to three days later.

Image copyright Twitter

Siobhan Reilly, from Willesden Green, north-west London, ordered two sets of gifts for her mother from Moonpig, but while one arrived the other, containing roses, did not.

Siobhan, 39, said she was told the missing parcel had been delivered to her mother's porch. But she says her mother does not have a porch and the parcel was not outside her front door.

She added: "They've been advertising on TV that they could deliver to the nation on Mother's Day. They've over-promised and under-delivered."

A spokesman for Moonpig said: "We can confirm that an issue with one of our suppliers has delayed the delivery of flowers to some of our customers this weekend.

"We know how important Mother's Day is and we have apologised to and compensated all customers who have experienced a delay.

"We've been working hard to put things right and by the end of Mother's Day almost all orders have been delivered. We hope our customers accept our sincere apologies."

More on this story