UK

Dave Lee Travis loses appeal against indecent assault conviction

Dave Lee Travis Image copyright PA
Image caption Dave Lee Travis arriving at the Court of Appeal hearing on Tuesday

Former Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis has lost an appeal against his indecent assault conviction.

The 70-year-old was found guilty last year of assaulting a researcher who was working on TV's Mrs Merton Show in 1995 and given a suspended sentence.

A judge at the Court of Appeal in London said there were "no arguable grounds of appeal".

Speaking outside court, Travis said he was "disappointed" and that he had "lost a lot of respect for the law".

At his trial, Southwark Crown Court heard Travis cornered the woman in the corridor of a television studio, where she was smoking, and commented on her "poor little lungs" before squeezing her breasts for 10 to 15 seconds.

In a statement, his victim said she had been "subjected to an unprovoked and terrifying physical assault" at her place of work.

After being given a three-month sentence, suspended for two years, former Top of the Pops presenter Travis said he was "mortified" and "really disappointed" over his conviction.

Application 'must be refused'

Travis was in court for the hearing before Lady Justice Hallett, Mrs Justice McGowan and Mrs Justice May.

Lady Justice Hallett said: "We are driven to the conclusion that there are no arguable grounds of appeal and accordingly the application for leave to appeal must be refused."

After the hearing, Travis said: "Obviously I am really, really disappointed - which is probably the understatement of the year."

He said the litigation had cost him his living, his house and his wife's health.

"I agree with the law, but I have lost a lot of respect for the law now," he added.

Career 'devastated'

Travis, of Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, was first arrested in October 2012 under Operation Yewtree, which was set up after abuse allegations against late DJ Jimmy Savile emerged.

Stephen Vullo QC had told the appeal judges events after the arrest had "devastated his career, ruined his reputation, and damaged his finances beyond repair".

Two trials lasting "many weeks", and involving two separate juries, "resulted in a single conviction", he added.

Travis had been cleared of 12 indecent assault allegations at his first trial, but the jury was unable to reach verdicts on two other charges - an indecent assault and a sexual assault.

At the subsequent trial, he was found not guilty of the indecent assault, alleged to have taken place when he was appearing in a production of Aladdin, and cleared of the charge of sexually assaulting a journalist after the jury failed to reach a verdict.

But the jury found him guilty of the 1995 indecent assault for which he received the suspended sentence.

More on this story