UK

Ex-MP Harvey Proctor calls abuse inquiry 'homosexual witch hunt'

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionHarvey Proctor: "I'm completely innocent of all these allegations''

A former MP has accused police of a "homosexual witch hunt" over claims he was involved in child abuse and murder.

Harvey Proctor said "false" claims had "wrecked" his life.

Speaking a day after being interviewed by police for a second time, he said he was "completely innocent" and called for senior police officers to resign.

He was interviewed under caution as part of Operation Midland, an inquiry into claims powerful men abused children in the 1970s and 1980s.

"I'm a homosexual. I'm not a murderer or a paedophile," said Mr Proctor.

He held a press conference, saying he wanted to end the "drip, drip, drip" of information in the media.

'Gang' claim

Mr Proctor said police had asked him if he knew his "eight alleged co-conspirators, whose homes it was alleged I had visited".

He said this list of names included former Home Secretary Leon Brittan, former chief of the defence staff Lord Bramall and former Prime Minister Sir Edward Heath.

Lord Bramall has previously categorically denied any involvement with child sexual abuse and said he had an "unblemished record".

Mr Proctor said: "The list comprised a number of people I knew, some who I had heard of but not met, and some I did not know.

"None of the allegations were alleged to have taken place at my home, and I have not visited the homes of any of the 'gang'."

Mr Proctor, a Conservative MP from 1979 to 1987 for the Essex constituencies of Basildon then Billericay, said he met Metropolitan Police officers voluntarily on Monday, following a similar interview in June.

'Nothing to hide'

During the press conference in central London, Mr Proctor said he believed all the claims against him came from one complainant - protected by legal anonymity and known only as "Nick".

The Met said it would not be commenting following Mr Proctor's press conference.

The former MP said:

  • the claims - including "multiple murder of children, their torture, grievous bodily harm, rape and sexual child abuse" - amount to "just about the worst allegations anyone can make against a person"
  • he was "completely innocent of all these allegations"
  • he had "nothing to hide" and appealed to "any witness who can truthfully say I committed any of these horrible crimes" to come forward
  • Det Supt Kenny McDonald - who leads Operation Midland - should "resign or be sacked"
  • Met Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe should also resign

Mr Proctor added: "I should be arrested, charged and prosecuted for murder and these awful crimes immediately so I can start the process of ridiculing these preposterous allegations in open court - or 'Nick' should be stripped of his anonymity and prosecuted for wasting police time and money, making the most foul of false allegations and seeking to pervert the course of justice."

He also said that "Nick" should be "medically examined to ensure he is of sound mind".

'Bewilderment'

Speaking about the list of names in the alleged "gang" of child abusers, Mr Proctor said he and Sir Edward "despised" each other.

He said he had never been to Sir Edward's home - which he pointed out would have had CCTV and numerous security and household staff.

"It is so far-fetched as to be unbelievable. It is unbelievable because it is not true," he said.

"My situation has transformed from Kafkaesque bewilderment to black farce incredulity."


Have you been affected by the issues raised in this story? Let us know about your experiences. Email haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk with your stories.

Your name and comment will not be published without your permission.

Or use the form below:

Your contact details

If you are happy to be contacted by a BBC journalist please leave a telephone number that we can contact you on. In some cases a selection of your comments will be published, displaying your name as you provide it and location, unless you state otherwise. Your contact details will never be published. When sending us pictures, video or eyewitness accounts at no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. Please ensure you have read the terms and conditions.

Terms and conditions

The BBC's Privacy Policy

More on this story