Phone-hacking trial: Andy Coulson due to be sentenced

Andy Coulson sentencing Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Andy Coulson was met by photographers at the Old Bailey

Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson is due to be sentenced after he was found guilty of conspiracy to hack phones.

Coulson, who went on to become director of communications for Prime Minister David Cameron, arrived at the Old Bailey where he will be sentenced with three other former NoW journalists.

Former private investigator Glenn Mulcaire is also due for sentencing.

Royals, celebrities and crime victims were among the hacking victims.

Coulson was one of seven defendants in the high-profile phone-hacking trial.

He denied the charges against him but was found guilty of plotting to intercept voicemails between 2000 and 2006. He faces a maximum of two years in prison.

The 46-year-old will be sentenced alongside former NoW news editor Greg Miskiw, the paper's former chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck and ex-reporter James Weatherup, who all admitted conspiring to hack phones.

Mulcaire, who they tasked with hacking, also pleaded guilty.

Former NoW reporter Dan Evans, who also admitted phone hacking, will be sentenced separately later this month.


Five defendants on trial at the Old Bailey, including former News International chief Rebekah Brooks, were cleared of all charges last week.

Meanwhile, Coulson and the newspaper's former royal editor Clive Goodman face a retrial on a charge of buying royal telephone directories from police officers after the jury failed to reach a verdict on these charges.

Following Coulson's phone-hacking conviction, David Cameron apologised for hiring him and said he would not have done so had he known about his actions at the tabloid.

Coulson was appointed Conservative Party director of communications in July 2007, six months after he stepped down as NoW editor. After Mr Cameron became prime minister in 2010, Coulson was appointed his director of communications.

Coulson maintained that he knew nothing about hacking at the paper while he was editor but was forced to quit No 10 in 2011 after allegations about it intensified.

Related Topics