Max Clifford: PR guru vows to clear name after charges

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionMax Clifford: "The allegations are completely false"

PR guru Max Clifford has vowed to clear his name in court after being charged with 11 indecent assaults allegedly committed between 1966 and 1985.

The alleged offences relate to seven different women and girls ranging in age from 14 to 19.

Mr Clifford, 70, from Hersham, Surrey says the claims are "completely false".

He was arrested in December under Operation Yewtree - set up following allegations about Jimmy Savile - but his arrest was unrelated to Savile.

Mr Clifford will appear in court next month.

Operation Yewtree has three strands. One concerns Savile's crimes exclusively, while another relates to allegations against Savile and others.

The third strand, under which Mr Clifford was arrested, concentrates on accusations unconnected to the Savile investigations but which emerged as a result of the publicity surrounding Savile.

Mr Clifford was not charged over three further allegations as there was "insufficient evidence to authorise charges", the Crown Prosecution Service said.

Mr Clifford denied the allegations against him.

He said: "The allegations in respect of which I have been charged are completely false and I have made this clear to the police during many, many hours of interviews.

"Nevertheless a decision has been taken to charge me with 11 offences involving seven women, the most recent of which is 28 years ago and the oldest 47 years ago.

"I have never indecently assaulted anyone in my life and this will become clear during the course of the proceedings."

Mr Clifford, who was first arrested on 6 December 2012, described the situation as "living a 24/7 nightmare".

Later speaking to Sky News, he added that since the charges had emerged he had received hundreds of calls from people wishing to express their support for himself and his family.

"This has made it so much easier to cope with," he said.

Scotland Yard said he was charged after answering bail at a London police station following advice from the CPS.

Mr Clifford was later released on bail and is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 28 May.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites