DJ Dave Lee Travis says arrest not linked to children
DJ Dave Lee Travis has said his arrest on suspicion of sexual offences is "nothing to do with kids" and denies any wrongdoing.
The 67-year-old ex-Radio 1 DJ, of Mentmore, Buckinghamshire, spoke after he was taken off air with immediate effect by radio station Magic AM.
He said he was "sad and disappointed" by the decision to take him off air.
Mr Travis was arrested and bailed as part of the police probe arising from the Jimmy Savile scandal.
He is due to return to answer police bail in early January, police said.
Speaking to reporters on Friday outside his home, Mr Travis said his arrest was nothing to do with child abuse.
"This is nothing to do with kids, all right? That's the first thing. Because that to me is the most important thing in the world and I do not wish to have my name sullied around something that bloody evil, to be honest.
"Yes, there's an ongoing police investigation about me and two grown women, all right? And this has to be completely clear with all of you.
"Any talk about children is, it's just incensing, all right? I am and always have been completely abhorred by anything to do with children and anything to do with child molestation and anything like that.
"I don't really want to be in a headline where people look and see Savile's name and see my name and think 'Oh God, is he at it as well?' Not true, all right? You have a categorical denial about children. That is absolutely set in concrete, I promise you."
He also denied all the unspecified allegations against him, but said he would not be able to do anything to prove or disprove them.
"It's just too easy to make allegations. I'm an easy target," he added. "Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?"
Earlier, Magic AM said that it would be "inappropriate" for Mr Travis to broadcast until the investigation was resolved.
A spokeswoman for Bauer Media, which owns Magic AM, said: "Following the arrest and release on police bail of Dave Lee Travis, Bauer Media has decided to take him off air with immediate effect from his Magic AM weekend shows, which broadcast across the north of England.
"We understand that the allegations about which he was questioned by police pre-date his time as a freelance contributor to Magic AM.
"While we can make no judgement on the matters under investigation, we believe it would be inappropriate for him to broadcast until they are resolved."
The Metropolitan Police say their investigation - Operation Yewtree - into alleged abuse by Savile and others has so far recorded 200 allegations of sexual assault.
They have also identified about 450 potential victims of sexual abuse.
The arrest of Mr Travis is the fourth so far in connection with the Savile investigation.
However, in a statement on Thursday, the Met, who did not name Mr Travis, said their latest arrest "falls under the strand of the investigation we have termed 'Others'", meaning the allegations are unrelated to Savile.
But the force said that the "vast majority" of the 450 possible victims were alleging sexual abuse by former BBC TV presenter and DJ Savile, who died last year aged 84.
Mr Travis - known by the nicknames DLT and the Hairy Cornflake - is best known for his 25-year stint on Radio 1 which ended in 1993.
Mr Travis also presented editions of Top of the Pops in the 1970s and 1980s.
The BBC postponed the transmission of an edition of Top of the Pops from 1977 hosted by Mr Travis that was due to be shown on BBC Four on Thursday.