UK
Home
World
UK
England
N. Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Business
Politics
Health
Education
Sci/Environment
Technology
Entertainment & Arts
7 August 2011
Last updated at
11:57
In pictures: Riot in Tottenham, north London
A shop and double-decker bus, along with two police cars, were set on fire during disturbances in Tottenham, north London.
The trouble began after a protest over the fatal shooting of a 29-year-old father-of-four turned violent. The man was shot in a minicab after it was stopped by police from Operation Trident, which investigates gun crime in London's African and Caribbean communities.
The London Ambulance Service said a total of 10 people had been treated by medics and nine had been taken to hospital.
Riot police and mounted police were called in after the protest deteriorated into violence about 20:20 BST on Saturday.
As riot police attempted to contain people in Tottenham, local MP David Lammy appealed for calm. In a statement on his website, the Labour MP said: "Those who remember the destructive conflicts of the past will be determined not to go back to them."
Parts of Tottenham bear signs of the disorder, including burnt police cars and other debris.
Riot police on foot and on horses tried to bring the situation under control.
Amid the disturbance, looters broke into shops - with reports some were wheeling away goods in supermarket trollies.
Downing Street said there was "no justification" for protesters' aggression or the damage done to property in Tottenham.
On Sunday morning, some fires were still smouldering, but most had been brought under control.
The debris was visible on Sunday morning, with the remains of the bus on the high street.
Share this page
Delicious
Digg
Facebook
reddit
StumbleUpon
Twitter
Email
Print
Services
Mobile
Connected TV
News feeds
Alerts
E-mail news
About BBC News
Editors' blog
BBC College of Journalism
News sources
Editorial Guidelines