Timeline: Jo Yeates killing

Key dates in the disappearance of Jo Yeates and the following police investigation into her death.

17 December 2010

Landscape architect Jo Yeates, 25, is last seen by colleagues at the Bristol Ram pub in Park Street, Bristol, at 20:00 GMT.

She leaves the Ram and on her way home visits Waitrose, where she is seen on CCTV.

At 20:30 GMT she uses her mobile phone to ring her best friend Rebecca Scott and arranges to meet on Christmas Eve.

She visits a nearby Bargain Booze off-licence to pick up some cider and then buys a pizza from a Tesco Express before returning to her nearby flat on Canynge Road.

Then she disappears.

19 December

Boyfriend Greg Reardon reports her missing after he returns home from a weekend away.

21 December

Police search the area around Avon Gorge while Miss Yeates's parents, Teresa and David, appeal for her to come home.

22 December

From her parents' home in Ampfield, Hampshire, Mr Reardon speaks of his distress at the disappearance of his girlfriend.

Meanwhile, specialist officers search the couple's flat, as well as the snowy Bristol Downs and Avon Gorge.

They also take a phone and laptop computer from Mr Reardon as part of the inquiry.

23 December

Miss Yeates's parents say they fear she has been abducted.

Police say a missing pizza she had bought shortly before she disappeared could be a vital clue.

The receipt for it was found inside her flat, but there is no sign of the pizza itself or its packaging.

24 December

Police release CCTV footage of Miss Yeates buying the pizza in Tesco Express.

25 December

A couple walking their dog at 09:00 GMT find a woman's body in Longwood Lane in Failand.

Miss Yeates's family say they assume it is her.

26 December

Police say they are "satisfied" the woman is Miss Yeates, but the body's frozen condition means the results of a post-mortem examination will take some time.

27 December

Miss Yeates's family visit the scene where her body was found.

28 December

Police say Miss Yeates was strangled.

29 December

Police confirm Miss Yeates's landlord Chris Jefferies has told them he believes he saw her leave her flat in the Clifton area on 17 December with two people.

30 December

Police arrest Mr Jefferies at his flat on suspicion of murdering Miss Yeates and he is taken to a police station for questioning.

Forensic officers in white overalls are seen going in and out of the building in which they lived.

A silver Chrysler car is removed by police from the road outside the property.

31 December

Detectives are granted more time to question Mr Jefferies.

Attorney General Dominic Grieve warns newspapers to be mindful of the Contempt of Court laws in their coverage of Mr Jefferies' arrest.

1 January 2011

Miss Yeates's family issue a statement expressing grief that a "beautiful and talented young lady" has been "stolen" from them, but say they are confident her killer will be caught.

Mr Reardon also pays tribute to Miss Yeates, saying he will always love her and calling her "a beautiful woman, beautiful in mind, body and soul".

Mr Jefferies is released on police bail pending further inquiries.

2 January

Police warn women not to walk home alone after dark as Miss Yeates's killer remains at large. Patrols are stepped up in the Clifton area.

3 January

Police appeal for information about a light-coloured 4x4 vehicle seen near the area where Miss Yeates's body was found.

Det Ch Insp Phil Jones says there is no sign that she was sexually assaulted.

He adds that he is unable to speculate as to whether she let somebody into her flat, whether somebody was already in there or whether someone broke in.

4 January

Police launch a campaign on Facebook to find Miss Yeates's killer. An advert on the social networking site allows people with information to contact the incident room online instead of calling in.

5 January

Detectives say Miss Yeates's body was missing one grey ski sock when she was found and are "keeping an open mind" about whether she was strangled with it, or whether it is being kept as a trophy by her killer or killers.

ITV journalists are banned from the press conference at which the appeal is made.

Avon and Somerset Police say they have made a complaint to broadcast regulator Ofcom about a "naive, unfair and irresponsible" ITV News report criticising the Yeates investigation.

ITV news said it stood by its story.

The force later overturned a press conference ban on ITV journalists, but warned it would adopt "similar tactics" if the media hampered its investigation.

6 January

Detectives ask for patience, saying it "will take time" to find Miss Yeates's killer.

Police search drains close to the flat in Clifton and search Clifton College's rifle range as part of the investigation.

7 January

A national newspaper says it is offering a £50,000 reward for information leading to a conviction.

Police investigating the murder question customers at the Bristol Ram and speak to motorists on Canynge Road and Longwood Lane.

Avon and Somerset Police retracts its complaint to watchdog Ofcom about coverage of the investigation by ITV news.

8 January

The parents of Miss Yeates speak of the events which took her from a "happy, carefree young lady" to a body "dumped like a piece of garbage".

A book of condolence is opened at Christ Church Clifton close to her Canynge Road flat.

Miss Yeates's brother Chris releases a statement saying she was a "personal inspiration" to him and her death has created a "a "surreal hole of despair" in his life.

9 January

MP Kerry McCarthy backs calls for all men in Bristol to be DNA tested - if police think the exercise is worthwhile.

10 January

A letter containing a pizza label is sent to the pub Miss Yeates visited before she was murdered.

12 January

Rebecca Scott, Miss Yeates's best friend, describes plans the pair had been making for Christmas Eve.

18 January

Miss Yeates's parents urge anyone shielding her killer to come forward.

The final steps of Miss Yeates are reconstructed for the BBC's Crimewatch programme in a bid to find her killer.

Avon and Somerset Police say tests conclude she did not eat the pizza she bought from a Tesco Express store on 17 December.

20 January

A 32-year-old man is arrested on suspicion of murder.

Det Ch Insp Phil Jones, the senior investigating officer, thanks the public and Miss Yeates's family for their support.

The force says since filming the reconstruction, more than 300 people have got in touch with information.

21 January

Police are granted extra time to question a 32-year-old man arrested on suspicion of the murder of Miss Yeates.

22 January

Police charge 32-year-old Dutch national Vincent Tabak with Miss Yeates's murder.

24 January

Engineer Vincent Tabak appears before Bristol Magistrates Court.

During the three-minute hearing, Tabak speaks only to confirm his name and date of birth. No plea is entered.

He is remanded in custody.

25 January

MTabak appears before Bristol Crown Court.

Lawyers for the 32-year-old Dutch national decline to make a bail application.

31 January

MTabak appears at Bristol Crown Court via a video link from HMP Long Lartin in Worcestershire.

No application for bail is made and he is remanded to appear before the same court on 4 May.

It emerges Miss Yeates's body was released to her family by the coroner on 28 January.

3 February

A garden of remembrance is to be built outside the Bristol office where Miss Yeates worked.

4 February

The manager of the design company where Miss Yeates worked as a landscape architect pays tribute to a "talented designer".

10 February

On the eve of Miss Yeates's funeral her former university lecturer describes her as an "exceptional and model student".

11 February

The funeral of Jo Yeates takes place in St Mark's Church, Ampfield, Hampshire.

Miss Yeates's body was carried into the church in a wicker coffin in front of her parents. The coffin was adorned with daffodils, small sunflowers and assorted other spring flowers.

4 March

Mr Jefferies is released from police bail without charge.

21 April

Mr Jefferies' lawyer says his client has launched libel and privacy claims against several newspapers.

Mr Jefferies is "seeking vindication of his reputation for the terrible treatment he received" at the hands of the press, his lawyer Louis Charalambous says.

5 May

Tabak admits the manslaughter of Jo Yeates but denies murdering her at a hearing at the Old Bailey.

29 July

Mr Jefferies accepts "substantial damages" from eight newspapers over libel claims.

The High Court fines the Daily Mirror £50,000 and the Sun £18,000 for being in contempt of court by "vilifying" Mr Jefferies.

20 September

Tabak appears at a Bristol Crown Court hearing to finalise arrangements for his trial.

4 October

The trial of Vincent Tabak for the alleged murder of Jo Yeates gets under way.

10 October

The court is told that Tabak drove to the Asda supermarket in Bedminster, Bristol, with Miss Yeates's body in his car.

11 October

The court is told Jo Yeates suffered 43 separate injuries during a violent struggle.

12 October

The jury visits the flat where Miss Yeates lived and where prosecutors say she was murdered.

17 October

Tabak says he strangled Miss Yeates for 20 seconds after she screamed when he put his arm around her, the court is told.

19 October

The court hears Tabak killed Miss Yeates after she screamed when he went to kiss her.

20 October

Tabak apologises for putting Miss Yeates's parents through "a week of hell" after strangling their daughter.

21 October

Tabak denies that Miss Yeates's killing was sexually motivated.

28 October

Tabak is convicted of murder after three days of deliberations by the jury and sentenced to life in prison, with a minimum term of 20 years.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites