Snow disruption: Your stories

Further snow and freezing temperatures are causing major problems for road, rail and air services in much of the UK - with thousands of schools also shut.

BBC News website readers from around the country have been sharing their stories of frozen Britain.

Tony Scott from Tonbridge in Kent - trying to get home

Image caption David Stuart took this photo of the snow covered roads in Cleethorpes where traffic was still moving.

My journey started yesterday at 1730 at Cannon Street station.

I missed a train by seconds and decided I'd go one stop on the tube to London Bridge and pick up a train there. Unfortunately all the trains arriving at London Bridge were full, and it was impossible to get on.

The trains were all delayed and there were no announcements giving information.

I decided to grab a meal with the friend I was travelling with. When we returned to the station there was still no information on when trains may come.

We asked station staff if the trains were cancelled and if it would be wisest to find a hotel for the night. The staff didn't have any information and kept telling us the trains were delayed, we assumed that meant trains were coming.

A train finally arrived at 0130. We left, but the train stopped at Orpington and got stuck.

All through the night we were promised buses, none came.

We were finally offered free hot food and hot drinks, but we had to queue for half an hour and then had to pay £6.50 for the supposedly free food.

At 1030 this morning the train started to travel back to London.

We were told it was re-routed back to London Bridge where it arrived at 1050.

So after ten hours, I was back where I started.

Ashley Quinsey from Australia - stuck at Edinburgh Airport

Image caption Dave Gittins spotted some passengers sleeping at Geneva airport, while waiting for a flight to Gatwick.

I was supposed to fly out to Dublin on Monday but my flight was cancelled.

Ryanair kept saying the flight was still open so I went to the airport, but by the time I arrived it had been cancelled, and I was given a telephone number to book another flight.

I rebooked onto a flight that was supposed to leave on Tuesday.

I went to the airport to find the flight delayed. It was delayed until 1600, and then delayed again and then again.

We finally boarded the plane at 2345, then we sat on the tarmac for three hours.

The plane was eventually de-iced, then we reversed to get into position for take-off, but we reversed into a pile of snow.

The plane then had to be pulled out of the snow and we had to disembark.

By 0930 on Wednesday the flight still wasn't coming up as cancelled but we were told to rebook.

I phoned Ryanair to rebook but they told me my flight was in the air travelling between Edinburgh and Dublin - even though Edinburgh airport is closed and I'm still stuck here!

Alex Gradwell-Spencer in the Peak District - about to have a baby

I'm not completely stranded at the moment as I have a 4x4 vehicle, but the rest of my street is stuck.

I'm about to have a baby, and am eight days overdue at the moment, and this will be my second baby. We've had snow for the past two days. It started again last night at 2300 and has only just stopped at 1300.

I live in a semi-rural area on the edge of the Peak District, all the roads over the Pennines are closed.

I'm about 12 miles away from Manchester and the hospital where I'm due to have my baby is 12 miles away in Stockport.

There's not a lot I can really do about things.

In this area Mountain Rescue will bring the midwife in if I'm not able to get out. I have all the necessary numbers and my midwife is well aware of the situation!

I went out this morning in my 4x4 to take my son to school, as his school is still open, unbelievably. But no one else in the street has been able to get out.

Ben MacPhee from Canterbury in Kent, working at home

Image caption Lorries form a line on the A1. Anita Marquina's brother was one of the lorry drivers in the queue.

I live in Canterbury and work in New Cross, London.

It took me two hours to get in yesterday which is double the normal time, so I left at 1500 to try and beat the traffic to get home.

Every main road out of East London was gridlocked and covered in inch thick ice and snow piled up to a foot deep either side of the road.

Cars and lorries were getting stuck, unable to make it up hill and breaking down all along the A20 and M20.

It was scary seeing cars drifting uncontrollably over the road (including my own).

I thought I would have to abandon my car at one point when I became stuck but some kind people helped me shift it.

I eventually got home at midnight - not an experience I want to repeat - so I am working from home today!

More on this story