Afghanistan explosions result in deaths of two soldiers
A British soldier has died in a UK hospital of injuries he received in an explosion in Afghanistan nine days ago.
He was from 2nd Battalion, The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment, part of the 1st Battalion the Royal Gurkha Rifles Battle Group.
Earlier, the MoD said another soldier had been killed in an explosion in the Nad Ali district of Helmand province.
He was from The Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Battalion the Royal Regiment of Scotland. Both families have been told.
A total of 334 UK service personnel have been killed in Afghanistan since the start of operations in 2001.
The second soldier was caught in the blast in the Nahr-e Saraj District on 24 August.
He was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, where he died Sunday morning.
Lt Col James Carr-Smith, spokesman for the UK's Afghanistan operation Task Force Helmand, said: "The soldier was part of a patrol that was preventing insurgents from disrupting the building of an important road that will allow local Afghans to travel more freely.
"His loss is a bitter blow but his bravery and selfless commitment to his men and the mission will never be forgotten."
The other soldier, whose death was announced earlier on Sunday was serving as part of the Brigade Reconnaissance Force when he was killed.
Lt Col Carr-Smith said: "The soldier was part of an operation that was disrupting insurgents in northern Nad Ali when he was killed by a rocket-propelled grenade.
"Selfless in the course of his duty he will be missed by his many friends. He was an inspirational soldier."
Lt Col Carr-Smith said both men would be remembered. Neither has been officially named by the MoD.