Cheshire

Couple 'incredibly lucky' e-cigarette fire wasn't worse

Allen Cook

BBC News

A couple who ended up in hospital after a fire started by a charging e-cigarette said they were "incredibly lucky" it wasn't worse.

Damaged carpet after fire
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service

Jennifer Brown, 35, and Scot Washington, 34, were at home on Barthomley Crescent, Crewe, on the morning of Friday 31 July when they heard a popping noise from an upstairs bedroom, Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said.

When Mr Washington opened the bedroom door, smoke flooded out and they put the blaze out with nearby bottles of water after their children got out of the house.

The fire service said the pair felt they were lucky only to need hospital treatment after breathing in smoke.

Miss Brown said: "I shudder to think what would have happened had the e-cigarette been put on charge at night when we were all asleep."

The couple with their children
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service

Attempted murder arrest after man found badly hurt

Lee Thomas

Newsreader, BBC Radio Stoke

A man's been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after police found another man with "horrific" head injuries in a flat.

Arnold Street
Google

They made the discovery on Sunday evening in Arnold Street, Nantwich, Cheshire.

The victim is in a critical but stable condition in hospital, police said.

The 42-year-old man they arrested remains in custody.