HM Revenue and Customs has released a list of the strangest expense claims and excuses it has received from people who haven't filed their tax returns.
Top odd excuses:
- My mother-in-law is a witch and put a curse on me
- I’m too short to reach the post box
- I was just too busy – my first maid left, my second maid stole from me, and my third maid was very slow to learn
- Our junior member of staff registered our client in Self Assessment by mistake because they were not wearing their glasses
- My boiler had broken and my fingers were too cold to type
Top weird expense claims:
- A carpenter claiming £900 for a 55-inch TV and sound bar to help him price his jobs
- £40 on extra woolly underwear, for ﬁve years
- £756 for my pet dog insurance
- A music subscription so I can listen to music while I work
- A family holiday to Nigeria
Sadly, HMRC says that all of these excuses and expense claims were unsuccessful.