Rwandan genocide

  1. Judges named for Rwanda genocide suspect's trial

    Samba Cyuzuzo

    BBC Great Lakes

    Félicien Kabuga
    Image caption: Félicien Kabuga was once one of Rwanda's richest men

    The UN tribunal in Arusha, Tanzania, has appointed three judges to conduct the trial of Rwandan genocide suspect Félicien Kabuga.

    Scottish Judge Iain Bonomy will preside the chamber assisted by Uruguayan Judge Graciela Susana Gatti Santana and Ugandan Judge Elizabeth Ibanda-Nahamya, the UN court said in a statement.

    On Wednesday French top court backed Mr Kabuga extradition to the UN court. But his lawyer wants him to be tried in The Hague, citing the coronavirus pandemic and his client's health and age.

    France's extradition law says that Mr Kabuga needs to be transferred to Arusha within a month.

    Mr Kabuga is alleged to have backed and armed ethnic Hutu militias who slaughtered about 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus. In May, he described the accusations as "lies".

    He was arrested near Paris in May after evading capture for 26 years

    Read more:

  2. BreakingCourt rules Rwanda genocide suspect will be tried in Arusha court

    Interpol handout photos of Félicien Kabuga
    Image caption: Félicien Kabuga was once one of Rwanda's richest men

    France's top civil court has ruled that Rwandan genocide suspect Félicien Kabuga can be handed over to a United Nations tribunal in Tanzania for trial.

    Mr Kabuga was arrested in May at his home outside Paris after 26 years on the run.

    Once one of Rwanda's richest men, Mr Kabuga is accused of financing the 1994 genocide.

    He is alleged to have backed and armed ethnic Hutu militias who slaughtered about 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus.

    He set up the notorious Radio Télévision Libre des Mille Collines (RTLM), a Rwandan broadcaster that actively encouraged people to search out and kill ethnic Tutsis.

    In 1997 he was indicted by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR), based in the northern Tanzanian town of Arusha, on seven counts including genocide and crimes against humanity.

    He denies all the charges, describing the accusations as "lies" during a court appearance in May.

    Read more:

  3. Paul Rusesabagina trial: The Rwandan authorities' view

    Video content

    Video caption: Why is Rwanda putting the hero of the film Hotel Rwanda on trial?

    Why is Rwanda putting the hero of the film Hotel Rwanda on trial? We hear from the spokesperson for the National Public Prosecution Authority about his controversial arrest

  4. Rwanda genocide suspect 'freed after arrest in Netherlands'

    Samba Cyuzuzo

    BBC Great Lakes

    The remains of nearly 85,000 people murdered in Rwanda's genocide
    Image caption: Newly discovered remains victims of the 1994 genocide were buried last year

    Rwanda genocide suspect Charles Ndereyehe has been released after he was arrested on Tuesday evening at his house near Netherlands capital, Amsterdam, his political party has said.

    The Rwandan government had in 2010 issued an international arrest warrant for Mr Ndereyehe on charges of organising killings in the genocide.

    His release has been confirmed by leader of the foreign-based opposition party FDU-Inkingi, Justin Bahunga.

    Mr Ndereyehe, 70, is an active member of FDU and a critic of the Rwandan government. He has been living in the Netherlands for more than 15 years.

    During the genocide he was the head of the government’s agricultural research institution located in south Rwanda.

    Rwanda’s commission for the fight against genocide had tweeted asking the Netherlands to “urgently extradite Mr Ndereyehe to Rwanda”.

    Dutch police have yet to comment on his arrest and release.

    In 2016, the Netherlands extradited to Rwanda Jean Baptiste Mugimba and Jean Claude Iyamuremye who were accused of playing roles in the genocide.

    An estimated 800,000 Rwandans were killed in the space of 100 days between April and June 1994.

    Read:

  5. Rwanda's Paul Rusesabagina under arrest

    Video content

    Video caption: His daughter says the family has not been able to speak to him yet

    His daughter says the family has not been able to speak to him yet.

  6. Rwanda issues arrest warrant for genocide suspect in France

    Will Ross

    Africa editor, BBC World Service

    Prisoners walk past prison sign
    Image caption: Many people who took part in the 1994 genocide went to prison

    Rwanda has issued an international arrest warrant for a former senior Rwandan military official, Aloys Ntiwiragabo, who is under investigation in France for his alleged role in the country's 1994 genocide.

    France opened a probe after a French publication, Mediapart, found Mr Ntiwiragabo in the city of Orleans.

    He had been identified by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) as one of the architects of the genocide.

    Neither the ICTR, Interpol, France nor Rwanda were actively seeking him, having dropped arrest warrants years earlier.

    The revelation of Mr Ntiwiragabo's whereabouts came barely two months after another suspected genocide architect, Felicien Kabuga, was arrested on the fringes of Paris.

  7. France rejects new probe into Rwanda plane shooting

    Samba Cyuzuzo

    BBC Great Lakes

    Armed Rwanda Patriotic Front soldiers investigate the site of the plane crash that killed President JuvTnal Habyarimana May 26, 1994 in Kigali,
    Image caption: The downing of the plane triggered the 1994 Rwandan genocide

    A French appeals court has rejected a request to reopen an investigation into the shooting down in 1994 of a plane carrying the then-Rwandan President Juvenal Habyarima.

    The incident sparked the Rwandan genocide in which 800,000 people were killed.

    The inquiry was dropped in 2018, but Habyarimana's widow, Agathe, and the families of other victims had appealed against the decision.

    But it may not be the end of the case, as civil parties have already said they will move to a higher court, the AFP news agency reports.

    Relations between the France and Rwanda have been turbulent ever since a French judge in 2006 accused several close associates of current Rwandan President Paul Kagame of being behind the assassination of Habyarimana.

    At the time Mr Kagame was the leader of a Tutsi rebel force which was fighting the Hutu-dominated government.

    He has always said that Hutu extremists shot the missiles that brought down the president's plane.

    Under current French President Emmanuel Macron, political relations have improved.

  8. Ex-mayor sentenced to life over Rwandan genocide

    BBC World Service

    Ladislas Ntaganzwa (C) is escorted by police officers upon his arrival at the airport of Kigali, on March 20, 2016
    Image caption: Ladislas Ntaganzwa was arrested in DR Congo five years ago

    Rwanda's High Court has sentenced a former mayor to life in prison for his role in the 1994 genocide.

    Ladislas Ntaganzwa - who was arrested in the Democratic Republic of Congo five years ago - was found guilty of personally leading a series of massacres of Tutsi civilians, including an attack on a church where thousands had taken shelter.

    The former mayor of southern Nyakizu was also accused of orchestrating the rape of many women.

    Earlier this month, investigators tracking genocide suspects had a major breakthrough when the alleged financier of the genocide, Félicien Kabuga, was arrested in France.

    He is due to be tried at a tribunal in Tanzania.

    It emerged last week that another top suspect, former Defence Minister Augustin Bizimana, had actually been dead for several years.

    You may also be interested in:

  9. Rwanda ex-fugitive calls genocide accusation 'lies'

    Samba Cyuzuzo

    BBC Great Lakes

    A composite photo showing Félicien Kabuga
    Image caption: Félicien Kabuga was on the run for years before being arrested in Paris

    Félicien Kabuga, who was detained earlier this month on charges relating to the 1994 genocide in Rwanda, has called the accusations against him "lies", the Reuters news agency reports.

    Mr Kabuga was one of the most wanted people accused of being involved in the slaughter.

    He is alleged to have been one of the main financiers of ethnic Hutu extremists who killed 800,000 people. They were targeting members of the minority Tutsi community, as well as their political opponents.

    Mr Kabuga has been on the run since 1994, and his comments in a Paris courtroom on Wednesday are the first he's made in public on the accusations for 26 years.

    He was arrested in Paris where he was living under a false identity. The UN prosecutors who aim to put him on trial want him to be transferred to UN custody in The Hague.

    French judges are being asked to decide if that transfer should go ahead.

    Reuters reports that when he was asked if he understood the charges, Mr Kabuga replied, via an interpreter: "All of this is lies. I have not killed any Tutsis. I was working with them."

    His lawyer, Laurent Bayon said the results of a DNA test used to identify him should be annulled as he had not given consent.

    Mr Bayon insisted his client is “old and sick" and said his health should be considered. He argued that Mr Kabuga should be tried in France.

    His request for bail was refused, Reuters reports.

    Read more: