Emergency response teams in Surrey say they have improved how they deal with flooding disasters.
Councillors were assured lessons had been learnt from the devastating floods of 2014.
A progress report on the partnership response to flooding along the Thames was presented to members of Surrey County Council (SCC) and Runnymede Borough Council Joint Committee on Monday.
The report laid out the work of the Surrey Flood Risk Partnership Board and the role of the Surrey Local Resilience Forum identifying the need for “improved cross border working” and “clarity” of roles played by residents, emergency services and volunteer groups.
Criticism of the action taken during the 2014 floods included residents being confused by the different roles of all the organisations and agencies, vulnerable people lists not being shared effectively and valuable local knowledge not being harnessed.
About 1,000 homes were flooded near the Thames in Surrey and almost 600 properties had to be evacuated in 2014.
Ian Good, county emergency planning officer, said lists of vulnerable residents were now digitised to “help with evacuation” and lines of communication had been set up to give people warnings of flooding.
Temporary flood defence schemes have been identified for Chertsey and Egham Hythe.
Yvonna Lay, councillor for Egham, said: “I’m thrilled to see what we have done with the vulnerable. Our area was particularly badly flooded and the biggest problem we had was identifying those in need and the vulnerable. We didn’t know where to send them.”
But Mark Nuti, who represents Chertsey, said: “I’m still concerned locally that there will still be some confusion when it all kicks off.”