Westminster attack

Ex-Met Police officer on duty at Parliament recalls 2017 terror attacks

Steve Marsh was on the same gate when PC Keith Palmer was killed by a terrorist in 2017.
Retired Metropolitan policeman Steve Marsh, from Llantwit Major, talks for the first time about his involvement in a horrific terrorist incident and discusses what, if anything, can be done to stop them happening in the first place.  Steve Marsh from Llantwit Major is a recently retired Metropolitan Police Officer. He served in the 2011 London riots, and was on the same gate at the House of Commons when PC Keith Palmer was attacked and killed by a terrorist in 2017. 
He spoke to Gareth Lewis on the BBC Radio Wales Drive programme.

Retiring cop's charity ride for fallen colleague

PC Carlisle
Metropolitan Police

On the eve of his retirement, PC Nick Carlisle has taken part in the annual UK Police Unity Tour in memory of his fallen colleague PC Keith Palmer.

He witnessed his friend's murder when PC Palmer was stabbed by Khalid Masood within metres of him during the Westminster Bridge attack in 2017.

Unarmed, PC Carlisle tackled Masood so his colleague could get away but PC Palmer died later of his injuries.

The UK Police Unity Tour sees officers and staff cycle 180 miles in memory of their fallen colleagues and raises money to support the families of officers who have died on duty.

After presenting his fallen friend's family with a red rose at the end of the ride, PC Carlisle said he was leaving the force with "thoughts of colleagues who have sadly not made it to retirement”.

Criticism of police chief who hid during attack 'ignorant'

Cressida Dick

Attacks on the Met Police's Deputy Commissioner for locking himself in his car during the Westminster attack have been criticised as "confused, unpleasant, personalised and ignorant" by London's most senior police officer.

Sir Craig Mackey, the Met Police's acting chief at the time, witnessed the murder of PC Keith Palmer in Westminster from a locked car.

He told an inquest into the attack his instinct to get out of the car when he saw Khalid Masood attack, but he stayed because he had no protective equipment.

"For obvious reasons, whilst the inquest has been underway I have not made any comments on the extraordinary amount of confused, unpleasant, personalised and ignorant commentary by some on the actions of the Deputy Commissioner" Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, Cressida Dick, said

Speaking at the conclusion of the inquest,Ms Dick said: "These criticisms are simply not supported by the evidence. As the Chief Coroner has made clear there was nothing he could have done to stop Masood.

"PC Palmer was under attack practically as soon as Sir Craig saw the attacker. What Sir Craig did was sensible and proper, and was intended to protect others in the car with him."

"I welcome the Inquest conclusion that our officers acted lawfully in shooting a terrorist and murderer.

"The professionalism, bravery and compassion shown by the plain clothed officers in stopping a terrorist and then immediately trying to save his life are in the best traditions of policing. They, and so many other Met officers that terrible day, did an incredible job responding in very difficult circumstances.