Three rescued after speedboat crashes in Walney Channel

Three people were taken to hospital after a speedboat hit a sandbank and turned over in the Walney Channel, off Barrow.

Emergency services including the RNLI, the coastguard, fire and ambulance were called and spent up to two hours at the scene yesterday afternoon.

Two women and a man were on board, and although details released by the authorities are sketchy, it is though the two women were thrown into the water while the men remained, injured in the boat, which came to rest the right way up.

Fire crews trained in water rescue worked with paramedics to rescue the casualty from the boat, and all the injured were taken to the Furness General Hospital in Barrow.

Walney Channel

Pembrokeshire boat rescue skipper on moment they started taking on water

Skipper Joanne Ayris tells Radio Wales Breakfast about Tuesday night's rescue.
Twenty-three people have been rescued from a sinking boat which hit a submerged tree off the Welsh coast.
The coastguard said it received a mayday message from a small pleasure boat off the coast of Pembrokeshire at about 19:00 BST on Tuesday.  Skipper Joanne Ayris, of Thousand Island Expeditions, told BBC Radio Wales's Breakfast programme what happened next.

New RNLI inshore lifeboat for St Peter Port harbour

Hayley Westcott

BBC News Online


Guernsey has welcomed a new RNLI inshore lifeboat to St Peter Port harbour.

The Elizabeth and Margaret Milligan B-class Atlantic lifeboat joins the all-weather boat in the harbour for a two-year trial period.

The volunteer crew of 13 has been training on the boat for the last six months and took part in their final exercise on Wednesday night before the boat was declared on service.

Guernsey RNLI’s volunteer lifeboat operations manager, Chris Harvey said the crew are a "credit to the station".

"We look forward to the challenge of using the vessel to its best advantage during the two-year trial," he added.

Lifeboats search Solway after paraglider crash report

Lifeboats from Workington (pictured), Silloth and Kippford, Nith Rescue and coastguard rescue teams from around the Solway Firth were called out last night after reports that a paraglider had been seen to crash into the sea.

Workington lifeboat
RNLI Adrian Walker

The search was stood down when nothing had been found by 02:00 and no one had been reported missing, but several boats are back out today checking the area as a precaution.

Rescued pleasure cruiser crew 'not properly equipped'

Four lifeboats were involved in the search and rescue of a pleasure cruiser off the Teesside coast which RNLI bosses said was without proper navigational equipment.

Two men on board the craft only had a mobile phone to call for help when it lost power and began drifting in fog off the coast of Saltburn last on Monday.

In the call to the coastguard the men were only able to report they could see "a small village with a pier" through the fog.


The boat was eventually towed to Hartlepool Marina.

Dave Cocks, Lifeboat Operations Manager at Redcar RNLI said: "Unfortunately the crew were not adequately equipped or experienced for the conditions they found themselves in.

"They only had a mobile telephone to raise the alarm with, which meant our lifeboat crews were unable to use radio direction-finding equipment to locate them.

‘It seems their navigation skills were only basic which meant that they ended up in a perilous position in the surf at Saltburn, very close to the pier.

‘I would encourage anyone who plans to go to sea on a boat to seek advice on what equipment and training they should have to enjoy their time at sea while staying safe."