Mandatory Covid-19 vaccinations would deter people from getting vaccinated, says WHO special envoy.
World Health Organization (WHO)
Classic 'We are Family' soul song is relaunched to support Covid-19 carers.
- Copyright: Getty Images
The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Sunday he was self-quarantining after someone he had been in contact with tested positive for Covid-19.
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said he had no symptoms.
"I have been identified as a contact of someone who has tested positive for Covid-19. I am well and without symptoms but will self-quarantine over the coming days, in line with WHO protocols, and work from home," he said in a tweet.
"My WHO colleagues and I will continue to engage with partners in solidarity to save lives and protect the vulnerable," he added.
The 55-year-old former Ethiopian health minister said "it is critically important that we all comply with health guidance".
"This is how we will break chains of Covid-19 transmission, suppress the virus, and protect health systems."
Dr Tedros, as he likes to be known, is the first African head of the WHO.
He has weathered bitter criticism - most notably from the US - of his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, which the WHO declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) on 30 January.
By Imogen Foulkes
BBC News, Geneva
BBC Africa Health, Nairobi
The World Health Organization's regional director for Africa, Matshidiso Moeti, has said allegations that aid workers sexually abused women while tackling an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo are "heartbreaking".
She said she will ensure a "timely, fair and transparent investigation" and that those found to have been involved will face serious consequences.
Dr Moeti said she would ensure mechanisms of reporting such acts are corrected:
A year-long investigation by two agencies revealed that aid workers who identified themselves as WHO staff sexually abused women in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The New Humanitarian and the Thomson Reuters Foundation spoke to 50 local women who were allegedly plied with drinks, "ambushed" in hospitals, forced to have sex, and two became pregnant.
The allegations cover the period between 2018 and March this year.