Buckinghamshire County Council
Election 2017 Results
|Party||Seats 2013||Seats 2017||Change|
|Seats 201336||Seats 201741||Change+5|
|Seats 20135||Seats 20174||Change−1|
|Seats 20131||Seats 20173||Change+2|
|Seats 20131||Seats 20171||Change-|
|Seats 20136||Seats 2017-||Change−6|
|Change compared with|
Local Democracy Reporting Service
Merging five councils into one new local authority has cost about £10m.
Last year, Wycombe, South Bucks, Chiltern and Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire County Council became defunct, when Buckinghamshire Council was created.
A cabinet meeting heard £9.939m was spent in 2019/20, an underspend of £2.9m against the council's orginal budget.
Councillor Katrina Brown said this saving was achieved through the use of the authority’s “excellent in-house expertise” which meant it could “avoid expensive external designers.”
Another £9.5m is expected to be spent on completing the transition this financial year.
A warning is being issued for people to be careful they do not fall for a new track and trace scam.
Buckinghamshire trading standards said there has been a 40% increase in scams - and the latest involves scammers posing as NHS test and trace contact workers.
The real system was launched last month to track those who have been in close contact with people who have tested positive for coronavirus.Copyright: Getty Images
Lee Ormandy, its trading standards deputy manager, said only respond to calls from 0300 013 500, or via the official NHS website or a text from NHS.
"If you get a message from any other number then be very suspicious. If you receive anything like this, stop, think and then look at it again."
It is believed the scammers are attempting to gain access to people's data or personal details.
Chesham household recycling centre will reopen on Friday.
It will be open from 09:00 to 18:00, but will be closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
You will need to have proof that you are a Bucks resident to be able to use the centre and should check the Buckinghamshire Council website for waiting times.Copyright: Google
Weekly food waste collections are resuming in parts of Buckinghamshire from today.
Buckinghamshire County Council has thanked residents for their "patience and understanding" whilst the service was disrupted due to Covid-19 but now says people in the Chiltern and Wycombe areas can put their separate food waste out on their next collection day.Copyright: Buckinghamshire County Council
Another batch of household waste recycling centres is due to reopen.
Buckinghamshire Council's four sites that remain closed in Chesham, Aylesbury, Langley and Burnham are due to open their gates again next Friday, but with strict rules.
Some of the sites are closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays, check here for details.
Unlike some councils, such as Suffolk County Council, there is no advance booking available.
There will be traffic management in place to ensure residents can access the site safely with minimum disruption to surrounding roads.
Before visiting, Bucks Council says please consider the following:
- Is your trip essential? Only visit if you cannot store your waste or use another disposal method
- Bring proof of address. Only Buckinghamshire residents will be allowed to use the sites
- Check waiting times online and do not arrive before the sites open
- Social distancing measures apply, so no assistance for unloading can be provided
- Do not bring a trailer, the permit system is still in place, but trailers will not be accepted at sites
- Only allow one person out of the vehicle while on site
More recycling centres are being opened across the country and in Buckinghamshire the disposal of "essential waste only" resumes.Copyright: Press Association
Five recycling centres at Amersham, Aston Clinton, Buckingham, Beaconsfield and High Wycombe will be open seven days a week.
The county council said residents will be asked for identification to prove their address.
"You should only visit the site if you cannot safely store your waste at home," its website said.
Limits will also be imposed on the number of vehicles allowed on sites.
BBC Three Counties Radio political reporter
Councils across Beds, Herts and Bucks have received details of their latest round of emergency funding from the government to help deal with the pandemic.
In the second £1.6bn handout, Luton Council, which has said the shutdown at Luton Airport will leave them with a £45m shortfall, will get a further £5.8m, which is a slight increase.
Hertfordshire County Council is getting less this time around and the government has said this payment is not ring-fenced for adult social care like the first round of funding, so the council could spend it on whatever it wants.
After the first allocation, there were concerns from district councils that they had missed out, having arguably lost more since the start of the pandemic because they get a lot of funds from car park charges and revenue from leisure centres that are currently closed.
This time, the districts have got a much larger share, some having gone from thousands to more than £1m.
- Bedford Borough: £4.7m - up £600,000
- Broxbourne Borough: £958,000 - up £917,000
- Bucks Unitary Authority*: £14.9m - up £4.5m
- Central Beds: £7.9m - up £2.4m
- Dacorum District: £1.5m - up £1,447,000
- East Herts District: £1.4m - up £1,353,000
- Herts County Council: £21.7m - down £4.4m
- Hertsmere Borough: £1m - up £953,000
- Luton Borough: £5.8m - up £400,000
- Milton Keynes Borough: £7.4m - up £1.4m
- North Herts District: £1.3m - up £1,252,000
- St Albans City and District: £1.4m - up £1,356,000
- Stevenage Borough: £871,000 - up £826,000
- Three Rivers District: £920,000 - up £885,000
- Watford Borough: £959,000 - up £909,000
- Welwyn Hatfield Borough: £1.2m - £1,149,000
* the Bucks Unitary Authority replaced Bucks County Council, Aylesbury Vale DC, Chiltern DC, South Bucks DC and Wycombe DC on 1 April.