The comment, by John Major's private secretary is revealed in newly-released cabinet papers.Read more
Merthyr Tydfil & RhymneyParliamentary constituency
|Party||Votes||%||Net percentage change in seats|
|Gerald Jones||Votes 22,407||header_vote_share 66.8||Net percentage change in seats +12.9|
|Pauline Jorgensen||Votes 6,073||header_vote_share 18.1||Net percentage change in seats +8.0|
|Amy Kitcher||Votes 2,740||header_vote_share 8.2||Net percentage change in seats -1.3|
|David Rowlands||Votes 1,484||header_vote_share 4.4||Net percentage change in seats -14.2|
|Bob Griffin||Votes 841||header_vote_share 2.5||Net percentage change in seats -1.6|
Change compared with 2015
Turnout and LAB majority
Labour supporters are all smiles in south east Wales.
Gerald Jones has been re-elected as Merthyr Tydfil and Rhymney MP.
Turnouts for some seats in Wales are up compared to 2015.
Our reporters at the counts are saying:
- In Vale of Glamorgan, the turnout was 72.2% - up from 71% in 2015
- Torfaen 62.2% up from 61.4% in 2015
- Ogmore turnout 65.26%, up from 64%
- Merthyr Tydfil and Rhymney 61%, a big jump from 2015 when it was 53%
- Vale of Clwyd 68% up from the last general election when it was 63%
- Wrexham turnout 70% up from 64.2 % in 2015
UKIP are a little downbeat in Merthyr Tydfil.
The party secured its third largest share of the vote across Wales in the constituency at the last general election in 2015.
But what does tonight have in store for the party?
Pace yourself Gareth! - and don't tell your colleague Rhys Williams who is parched in Islwyn.
Don't get left outside on polling day. Here are details of what you need and where you need to go to register for the general election on 8 June:
- 17,619 total votes taken.
- 53.9% share of the total vote
- +10.2% change in share of the votes
- 6,106 total votes taken.
- 18.7% share of the total vote
- +15.9% change in share of the votes
- 3,292 total votes taken.
- 10.1% share of the total vote
- +2.5% change in share of the votes
- 3,099 total votes taken.
- 9.5% share of the total vote
- +4.4% change in share of the votes
- 1,351 total votes taken.
- 4.1% share of the total vote
- -26.9% change in share of the votes
- 603 total votes taken.
- 1.8% share of the total vote
- +1.8% change in share of the votes
- 459 total votes taken.
- 1.4% share of the total vote
- +1.4% change in share of the votes
- 186 total votes taken.
- 0.6% share of the total vote
- +0.6% change in share of the votes
Change compared with 2010