By Mark Daly & Kieran Etoria-King
By Mark Daly & Kieran Etoria-King
Local Democracy Reporting Service
Tributes have been paid to a “much loved” east London health worker who has died after contracting coronavirus.
Vincent Lawler worked as an advisor in the sexual health service at the Royal London Hospital. He had worked with Barts Health Trust for 20 years.
He died on 28 December after a short battle with the virus.
A spokesman for the trust said: “He was a much loved, jovial and respected member of the team. He loved walking, swimming and sang opera in his spare time. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him.”
Mr Lawlor is one of seven Barts Health Trust workers whose deaths have been attributed to coronavirus.
The trust, which runs five hospitals including Whipps Cross and Royal London, has recorded 1,150 Covid-related deaths since the start of the pandemic.
By Thomas Mackintosh
BBC News, London
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge hear from emergency workers about how the pandemic has made them feel.
By Tim Stokes
Police have arrested two people after a man was stabbed to death in north-west London.
The 48-year-old victim was found fatally injured in Neasden Lane North, Neasden, soon after 21:30 on Monday following calls to police about a "disturbance".
He died at the scene and his next of kin has been informed.
The Met said a 47-year-old man who was found nearby suffering from non-life-threatening injuries had been arrested on suspicion of murder.
Another man, aged 33, was also held on suspicion of murder. He is in custody while the 47-year-old remains in hospital where he is being treated for his injuries.
Appealing for witnesses, Det Ch Insp Tom Williams said: “How events unfolded remains unclear at the moment and we are keeping an open mind as to motive.
“Our team is working hard to capture as much evidence as possible in these crucial first stages and they are here to take your call."
By Steve Swann
Dr Samantha Batt-Rawden says NHS staff are facing "devastating" abuse from coronavirus sceptics.
Twenty young Londoners are being offered the chance for a three-week paid internship with the Met Police as part of a work experience programme.
The Met Futures work experience scheme is aimed for 16 and 17-year-olds and intends to help them develop skills to give them a head start in their careers.
It will consist of a virtual employability skills training week over the February half term, a two-week work experience placement in April with two sections of the Met, and 10 months of mentoring.
Students will leave the scheme with a leadership (ILM) certificate qualification and will attend a virtual graduation ceremony.
The Met's chief of corporate services, Robin Wilkinson, said: "The Met is one of the largest employers in London and we want to be the employer of choice for young Londoners.
"This Corporate Services internship scheme is one of the ways in which the Met supports young people as they begin their careers."
The Met has released an image of a man they are trying to find after four supermarket workers were attacked during a robbery.
The suspect stole four bottles of champagne from a supermarket in Cranbrook Road, Barkingside, between 14:00 and 14:15 on 13 December last year.
As he left the store, he attacked three members of supermarket staff and a security guard, stabbing one of them and breaking the nose of another, the Met said.
Det Con Mohammed Abdullah said: "The CCTV images of the suspect are very clear and I would like help in identifying this man.
"The vicious and unprovoked attacked has had a profound impact on members of staff at the shop and shocked the local community.”