Sussex become the first team to win a Bob Willis Trophy game as they beat Hampshire by 94 runs at Hove.Read more
Two teenagers suffered "abhorrent" injuries when they were attacked by suspects wearing balaclavas, police have said.
The boys were part of a group that was set upon in the woods near Swanbourne Lake, Arundel, at about 01:00 BST on Wednesday.
One of the victims suffered a broken jaw and back injuries, while a second was left with a cheek injury and a burn to his leg, Sussex Police said. Both have been discharged from hospital.
Supt Miles Ockwell said: “The level of injuries involved in this assault are abhorrent and the behaviour from the suspect group is completely unacceptable."
NHS England has announced there were no deaths from coronavirus in hospitals in the South East in the 24-hour period up to 16:00 BST on Tuesday.
Cases are only included when the positive Covid-19 test result is received, or death certificate confirmed with Covid-19 mentioned, NHS England said.
These figures do not include deaths outside hospital, including those in care homes.
Across England's hospitals 14 deaths were linked to positive coronavirus tests, with the Midlands seeing nine deaths and the North East and Yorkshire three.
Local Democracy Reporter
Parents who do not send their children back to school in September will only be fined as a last resort, West Sussex County Council has said.
At a meeting of the full council, Nigel Jupp, cabinet member for education and skills, was asked what would happen if parents who were worried about the pandemic kept children away from lessons.
In a written answer, Mr Jupp said the council understood that parents and children might be anxious about going back and would work with schools to help prepare them "for safe and managed return".
He added: “The education and skills service will continue to work with schools to engage with and support parents in getting their children back into school before considering issuing penalties for poor attendance.
“Issuing fines for non-attendance is always a last resort.”
He said confidence was the key word, especially when it came to convincing parents that schools were doing all they could to "minimise health risks" for the children – many of whom would be returning after almost six months away.
Vishal Mehrotra, 8, was was murdered in 1981 and Sussex Police have never found his killer.
The hospitality and leisure sector has been shut since mid-March, but social distancing measures are still in force.
Public services across Sussex are preparing for a surge in demand this weekend with the combination of the relaxation of social distancing measures and warmer weather.
Officials at the Sussex Resilience Forum, an umbrella organisation which includes emergency services, health organisations and local authorities, urged people to “stay alert” to Covid-19 and avoid placing strain on the NHS and other public services.
The message came after huge numbers of vehicles last week gridlocked roads leading to beaches at Camber Sands near Rye and police were left dealing with large gatherings in Brighton and Hove.
Chair of the Sussex Resilience Forum, Assistant Chief Constable, Dave Miller, said: “Our businesses and communities are understandably welcoming the further easing of restrictions planned.
“We want everyone to be able to enjoy the additional freedom this will bring but our plea is to do this safely and to avoid placing additional strain on emergency services and the health service that have all worked so hard to prevent the public during this pandemic.
“The fact that the re-opening coincides with the 72nd anniversary of our health service, which has demonstrated its incredible resilience and relentless care throughout this pandemic, makes our message even more important.”
Local Democracy Reporter
Police “can’t stop people coming to the coast”, Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne has said.
Mrs Bourne’s comments came as she answered councillors’ questions at a virtual meeting of the Sussex Police and Crime Panel.
The questions came after police issued dispersal orders to a mass gathering at Hove Lawns last Wednesday.
Those to speak included Crawley Borough councillor Michael Jones (Labour), who said: “The emergency dispersal orders issued in Brighton filled me with very deep concern.
“But we have got a lot of seaside towns in Sussex clearly; Bognor Regis, Littlehampton, Worthing, Lancing, Shoreham beach, Brighton and Hove, Eastbourne, St Leonards, Hastings. The list goes on.
“Not only is there clearly a threat to public health for those going to the beach if they are not socially distancing, but it seems to me to be serious increased risks for residents of those towns as well.
In response, Mrs Bourne said: “You raised some really important points and I don’t think any of us disagree with your concerns around our residents and our coastal areas.
“We have got over 100 miles of coastline in Sussex and, with the best will in the world, police can’t stop people coming to the coast.
“All along the police response to this – as we have eased out of lockdown – was the Four E approach. It was to engage with the public, to explain to them why we are doing the social distancing and to encourage them to go home and only to use enforcement as a last measure, as you would expect.
“I think actually Sussex Police has been really good around this and where they have had to issue fixed penalty notices, they have."
Police in Sussex have issued dispersal orders across the county following reports of gatherings and anti-social behaviour.
One of the dispersal orders put in place was at Hove Lawns on Wednesday evening when hundreds of people gathered on the seafront.
Sussex Police said they understood "it has been a difficult time for everyone, particularly young people" but officers warned "the virus is still here" and urged people to help protect others.
A Sussex hotel which has housed homeless people during the pandemic will no longer be able to do so as the lockdown eases, a council has said.
Leader of Worthing Borough Council Daniel Humphreys said that as the hospitality industry prepared to reopen on 4 July, the hotel “has been informed by their insurance underwriter that this agreement can no longer continue”.
Mr Humphries said the council was doing everything it could to support those who had been living in the hotel.
However, he called on the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government to recognise the costs to councils during lockdown, and said the estimated budgetary loss for Worthing stood at about £1.5m.
He said: “We have been left with a significant hole in our budget and an ongoing problem with those we have housed above and beyond our statutory, and funded duty, which continues to put an even greater strain on council finances.”
Goodwood Motor Circuit in West Sussex is to start drive-in movie screenings, beginning with the racing film Rush.
The drama between motor racing rivals James Hunt and Niki Lauda will be the first movie attendees can see from their cars.
Moana, The Incredibles, Cars, Mary Poppins Returns, Zootropolis, Toy Story, The Hunger Games, Knives Out, Moulin Rouge, Star Wars, Dirty Dancing, Reservoir Dogs, Pretty Woman, Fight Club and American Psycho also on the bill.
Secret Cinema will also be putting on pre-screen performances recreating scenes from the movies.
The Duke of Richmond, who owns the Goodwood estate, said: "Our reaction to the current pandemic is to try and do what we're best at - which is bringing people together through shared passions.
"This represents a step towards the new normal, allowing us to help get things going again in a safe and socially distanced way."
The drive-in opens on 5 July.
Pupils and teachers reflect on life back in school, which involves plenty of hand washing.