Chester

England, United Kingdom

Latest Stories

Cumberland Infirmary helipad lights proposal

A planning application for lights to be installed around the perimeter of the Helipad at the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle has been submitted.

32 LED landing lights- 3 meters apart- would be installed.

The helipad, at Newton Road, is used by a number of organisations, most notably the Great North Air Ambulance Service.

First-time buyers: 'Mortgages are so inaccessible now'
As lenders ask for higher deposits, first-time buyers say how difficult it is to get a mortgage now.
The Olympic cycling champion opened a branch where his wife Sarra is a volunteer listener.
The Olympic cycling champion opened a branch where his wife Sarra is a listener volunteer.

Severe disruption: A51 Cheshire eastbound

BBC News Travel

A51 Cheshire eastbound severe disruption, from A5268 Grosvenor Park Road to Hoole Lane.

A51 Cheshire - A51 Boughton in Chester closed and it's heavy outbound from Bars Roundabout to the Hoole Lane junction, because of a burst water pipe. Diversion in operation - for bus service 5 and 7.

To report traffic and travel incidents dial 0330 123 0184 at any time

Police in drugs inquiry appeal for sightings of man

Police investigating drug-dealing in Barrow say they are trying to trace a man called Jack Murphy, 25.

Jack Murphy
Cumbria Police

Officers say he has connections in Cheshire and Merseyside as well as Barrow, and he was featured in the BBC programme Crimewatch today.

🎂 Back to school for birthday twins 🎈

Jennifer Meierhans

BBC News

Twins Evie and Grace are starting senior school on their birthday.

Their dad Martin Waring said the girls, who live near Nantwich in Cheshire, had some fun posing for a picture with long faces.

View more on twitter

He said: "They are actually excited believe it or not... they have been looking forward to seeing their friends and making new ones."

Happy birthday girls, I hope you have a good first day back and get some celebrations in too.

Cheshire theatre postpones pantomime

BBC Radio Stoke

A theatre in Cheshire's become the latest venue to postpone this year's pantomime.

Crewe Lyceum
BBC

Crewe Lyceum, which is owned by Cheshire East Council, said it wasn't possible to successfully put on shows while following social distancing guidelines.

In a statement on Facebook the theatre said the pantomime was being put back to 2021 and all performances were suspended until at least 31 January.

Earlier this month, the UK's biggest pantomime producer started cancelling its 2020 shows amid ongoing uncertainty about when theatres will be able to reopen fully.

A man who has lived with Parkinson’s disease since a child is nominated for national award
Matt Eagles, who has had Parkinson's since he was seven, is dedicated to helping people be positive.

Investigation after death of utility worker

BBC Radio Stoke

A utility worker has died while he was working at a housing estate.

The 32-year-old man, from Runcorn, died at the Bishops Wood estate on Bridle Hey, Nantwich, yesterday afternoon, Cheshire Police said.

The Health and Safety Executive said the death had been referred to it and was investigating.

Venues signal 'red alert' for live events

Theatres across the West Midlands and Cheshire joined a day of action around the UK to highlight the crisis facing the live events scene.

Crewe Lyceum lit up
Crewe Lyceum

Venues including the Crewe Lyceum, Lichfield Garrick, Bedworth Civic Hall and Rugby Theatre turned their lights red as part of the Red Alert campaign.

The Red Alert movement and #WeMakeEvents marches aimed to raise awareness about the threat of job losses in the sector.

View more on twitter

Last month, the government announced a £1.57bn support package aimed at protecting theatres, galleries and museums.

The government has previously said that will lead to more work for freelancers. The furlough scheme and support for self-employed people are due to end in the coming months - and many freelancers were not eligible for them at all.

Couple 'incredibly lucky' e-cigarette fire wasn't worse

Allen Cook

BBC News

A couple who ended up in hospital after a fire started by a charging e-cigarette said they were "incredibly lucky" it wasn't worse.

Damaged carpet after fire
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service

Jennifer Brown, 35, and Scot Washington, 34, were at home on Barthomley Crescent, Crewe, on the morning of Friday 31 July when they heard a popping noise from an upstairs bedroom, Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said.

When Mr Washington opened the bedroom door, smoke flooded out and they put the blaze out with nearby bottles of water after their children got out of the house.

The fire service said the pair felt they were lucky only to need hospital treatment after breathing in smoke.

Miss Brown said: "I shudder to think what would have happened had the e-cigarette been put on charge at night when we were all asleep."

The couple with their children
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service