BBC NewsCopyright: BBC
The annual Beachy Head Marathon, which covers a challenging route through the South Downs National Park countryside, is taking place on Saturday.
New Covid safety management procedures will be in place, with the 1,500 runners setting off on the 26.2-mile route in staggered waves.
Social distancing measures include the introduction of a large holding area near the start line with distanced waiting pens, the wearing of mandatory face masks, and staggered times of arrival.
There will be a ban on overtaking on parts of the course, and volunteers will be wearing PPE.
Sealed plastic water bottles will also be provided on the course rather than water in paper cups.
Spectators are being discouraged from attending to help maintain social distancing and ensure the safety of those taking part.
The 10k marathon is being held on Sunday, while the half-marathon took place last weekend.
BBC Midlands Today
A man has completed a 350-mile walk from the south coast to Stoke-on-Trent in memory of his baby son who died from heart complications last year.Copyright: BBC
Chris Gibbs, from Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, set off from Eastbourne four weeks ago.
The walk raised £20,000 for the Royal Stoke University Hospital and Birmingham Children's Hospital, which both cared for his son, Thiago.
Mr Gibbs said his walk connected important places in his life.
"That meant my birthplace, Eastbourne. So I set off from there, went via Birmingham where we lost our little man in November last year and ending in Stoke-on-Trent at the hospital where my wife works and my son was born."
Local Democracy ReporterCopyright: BBC
Mental health services for children and young people in Sussex would benefit from a “radical redesign”, an independent review has suggested.
It found young people were waiting too long to access emotional health and wellbeing services, leading to feelings of "frustration and helplessness".
Its findings have been endorsed by the Clinical Commissioning Groups and Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (SPFT), as well as Brighton and Hove City Council, East Sussex County Council and West Sussex County Council.
In a joint statement to BBC Radio Sussex, a spokesman for these organisations said: “Feedback we have received… has highlighted the current system is not working as well as it should. This is something that needs to rapidly change."
The spokesman said an independently-led review was commissioned and an "oversight board" had been set up to take the recommendations forward.
The review has suggested improving the accuracy and availability of data; creating an effective single point of access for those looking for help, and greater investment in places with the highest need.
It also drew attention to comparatively high levels of self-harm among children and young people in Sussex.
However, it did not consider the service to be unsafe, saying it was not clear whether the current system had contributed to that.
Guy BellCopyright: BBC
Eastbourne's Congress Theatre will open its doors again, but as a cinema.
The theatre will use smoke and lights to add an eerie atmosphere to film screenings from October half term.
Many staff had been placed on furlough and some lost their jobs.
However, some have returned to take on the workload of transforming the theatre.
While it will not be showing new releases or blockbuster films, the Congress Theatre will play classics and Halloween favourites.
The theatre has lost millions in ticket sales and it is hoped some of that can be recovered by welcoming people back for the first time since March.
Sir Keir Starmer says no region is immune from Covid-19.
One of the last veterans of the Battle of Arnhem has received the Dutch government's highest honour.
Local Democracy Reporter
It could take the Greater Brighton economy eight years to recover from the coronavirus measures brought in by the government this year, experts have warned.
The warning is included in an impact assessment by consultants Hatch for the Greater Brighton Economic Board.
They found the lockdown and related restrictions had a “significant impact” on growth.
It estimated an 11% drop in economic growth this year in Greater Brighton – an area that stretches from Brighton and Hove to Gatwick and from Seaford to Bognor.
Hatch predicted that economic activity would not return to pre-covid levels until 2028.
The report says: "The Greater Brighton region has been impacted significantly by the Covid-19 pandemic, notably in the creative, arts, visitor economy, transport and education sectors."
According to the report, two thirds of Greater Brighton businesses used the government’s furlough scheme.
A new walk-through coronavirus testing facility has opened in Brighton.
It is located on the site of the former Portslade Aldridge Community Academy sixth form school in Portslade High Street and will offer self-administered tests.
Health minister Lord Bethell said the facility was part of the national testing network and urged people with symptoms to “book a test today”.
Baroness Dido Harding, interim executive chair of the National Institute for Health Protection, added: “This new site is part of our ongoing work to expand testing across the UK to deliver 500,000 tests a day by the end of October."
Police officers in a specially-designed van have begun a tour of Sussex communities to raise awareness of the dangers of carrying knives.
Children in schools and high street shoppers will be among those invited to hear "real life stories" of people who have been affected by knife crime and receive information and advice on where they can get help.
As the van made its first stop in Lewes, Chief Constable Jo Shiner said: "Carrying a knife can change your life forever. Not only does it put you and those around you at an increased risk of harm, but getting caught with one can result in serious personal and legal consequences."
Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne added: “It is vitally important that real-life stories are shared with young people so they can understand the life-changing consequences this could have on them."
Thousands of homes and businesses were devastated when floods swept through West Kent and East Sussex.
Kent Hunt Saboteurs have reported the incident to the police.