- Copyright: Met Police
Two 16-year-old boys have been arrested on suspicion of murder after a "kind" and "humble" teenager was stabbed to death in north London.
Anas Mezenner was discovered fatally wounded in West Green Road near Turnpike Lane at about 21:10 on Tuesday. He was taken to hospital but was pronounced dead the following morning.
Speaking about the 17-year-old's death, Anas' family said he "was never, never about this knife crime stupidity, he always kept himself humble, he was always kind and always put others first”.
The Met said the two arrested teenagers had both been taken to a north London police station where they remain in custody.
"My deepest sympathy is with Anas’ family. This is a tragic loss of a young man who was known to be kind and thoughtful, who was enrolled in a local college with a bright future," Det Ch Insp Jane Topping said.
By Ben Hunte
By Tom Symonds
Home Affairs correspondent
By Mark Daly & Kieran Etoria-King
Local Democracy Reporting ServiceCopyright: Barts Health Trust
Tributes have been paid to a “much loved” east London health worker who has died after contracting coronavirus.
Vincent Lawler worked as an advisor in the sexual health service at the Royal London Hospital. He had worked with Barts Health Trust for 20 years.
He died on 28 December after a short battle with the virus.
A spokesman for the trust said: “He was a much loved, jovial and respected member of the team. He loved walking, swimming and sang opera in his spare time. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him.”
Mr Lawlor is one of seven Barts Health Trust workers whose deaths have been attributed to coronavirus.
The trust, which runs five hospitals including Whipps Cross and Royal London, has recorded 1,150 Covid-related deaths since the start of the pandemic.
By Thomas Mackintosh
BBC News, London
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge hear from emergency workers about how the pandemic has made them feel.
By Tim Stokes
Police have arrested two people after a man was stabbed to death in north-west London.
The 48-year-old victim was found fatally injured in Neasden Lane North, Neasden, soon after 21:30 on Monday following calls to police about a "disturbance".
He died at the scene and his next of kin has been informed.
The Met said a 47-year-old man who was found nearby suffering from non-life-threatening injuries had been arrested on suspicion of murder.
Another man, aged 33, was also held on suspicion of murder. He is in custody while the 47-year-old remains in hospital where he is being treated for his injuries.
Appealing for witnesses, Det Ch Insp Tom Williams said: “How events unfolded remains unclear at the moment and we are keeping an open mind as to motive.
“Our team is working hard to capture as much evidence as possible in these crucial first stages and they are here to take your call."