An cannabis farm with a street value of tens of thousands of pounds has been
seized by Northumbria Police following a search.
During the morning raid at an address on Hudson Street in South Shields,
officers found a large cannabis farm with an estimated value of up to £90,000.
The plants have been seized and will be destroyed.
The electric had been illegally bypassed at the address to avoid a big energy bell.
A 51-year-old man was
yesterday arrested on suspicion of producing a controlled drug. He has since
been released while investigations continue.
These kind of operations can be sophisticated in nature and often have links to organised crime. It is therefore important that these illegal drugs are found, destroyed and taken off the streets of South Tyneside. Nobody wants to live near a potential death-trap, as these cannabis farms can so often be."
Metro line between South Shields and Chichester to close for four weeks
Metro line between South Shields and Chichester is to close for four weeks for the
completion of the town’s new £21m bus and Metro interchange.
will be out of service from Monday 9 July until 4 August, when South Shields
town centre’s new terminus opens.
frequent replacement bus service, 900, will run during the line closure.
current Metro station on King Street will be demolished.
'Police don't realise the impact'
Violent offenders are being handed informal punishments by the police, despite guidance restricting their use to low-level offences, the BBC's Shared Data Unit found.
County Durham student Ben Matthews, 18, was attacked by a prison guard. When the offence was committed, the attacker could have received a community resolution if he completed Durham Constabulary's Checkpoint scheme.
Since a legal change in April, the case will now be classed as a deferred prosecution, which also does not involve the attacker going to court.
Ben's mother, Jo Law, said: "We're petrified he'll walk away without a record.
"I would have liked him to go to court, for Ben's sake, and to show that they're taking it seriously.
"People who commit violent offences shouldn't be put on to such schemes, police don't realise the impact it's having on victims.
"I could have been going to Ben's funeral - I can't stop that going through my mind."
Durham Constabulary Chief Constable Jo Farrell said quality assurance methods were used to "ensure that at all times, we have done the right thing for the victim".
Violent offences 'dealt with informally' by police forces
More than 20,000 crimes have been committed in the North East which will not appear on a criminal records check.
Research from the BBC Shared Data unit shows that since 2014, forces across England and Wales have resolved more than 400,000 crimes with community resolutions - for offences ranging from theft and criminal damage through to sex offences and violent crimes.
The out-of-court disposals were used to resolve 8% of the total number of crimes recorded by Durham Police - the highest proportion of every force.
Durham's Chief Constable Jo Farrell said quality assurance methods were used to "ensure that at all times, we have done the right thing for the victim".
Mum, Chloe Clark, said: “She started holding it up to her face and said ‘I can see you mammy’ then the next thing I knew it was round her neck."
Two held after trouble flares outside Chinese takeaway
Two men have been arrested after a fight broke out outside a takeaway, police said. Officers were called to Gateshead High Street just after 22:40 on Sunday after reports a 44-year-old man was attacked with a bottle. The victim had been in the takeaway when he got
into an altercation with two men and trouble continued outside, a Northumbria Police spokesman said. The victim was taken to hospital with non life-threatening injuries to his stomach and police are trying to trace other men involved in the fight.
Date set for police and crime commissioner by-election
A date's been confirmed for when voters will go to the polls to choose the next Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner.
Northumbria Police is warning the public to be aware of TV Licensing phishing emails that are currently circulating.
Officers have had reports that members of the public are receiving emails with links to a convincing-looking website.
It then requests that people enter their personal details. They are then contacted by fraudsters who claim to be from a department of the bank people are registered with.
Trevor Birney and Barry McCaffrey were arrested in August 2018 over the suspected theft of files from the Police Ombudsman's office.
They had been involved in a documentary on the Loughinisland attack in 1994 in which six Catholic men were shot dead by the loyalist Ulster Volunteer Force.
The Durham police chief was brought in by the PSNI to investigate the leaking of documents.
On Monday, police confirmed the case against the journalists had been dropped, following a court ruling that the search warrants issued against them had been "inappropriate".
Speaking today at a meeting of the Northern Ireland Policing Board, Mr Barton said: "I absolutely respect press freedom.
"But I do not - in my view and I have been corrected by the lord chief justice - I do not think it appropriate that secret documents that put people's lives at risk are put out there in the public domain - I think those discretions should be fettered."
Events licence to expand outdoor live entertainment withdrawn
She will take over the role from the current Chief Constable Mike Barton when he retires at the end of this week.
Lucy Hovvels, chair of the panel, said: “The panel was impressed with the quality of the answers provided by Deputy Chief Constabulary Jo Farrell and the breadth of her experience and was, therefore, pleased to endorse her appointment.”
Assistant Chief Constable Rachel
Bacon, Northumbria Police’s safeguarding lead, said: "We have apologised to the
family for failing to share information with the Probation Service and I do so
“This was an extremely tragic
case in which Ms Nguyen was murdered by two manipulative and callous
individuals, who are now in prison serving whole-life terms.
“We acknowledge the findings of
the inquest and following this case we carried out a review of how we share
information with the Probation Service.
"As a result, improvements have already
been made, which includes introducing an enhanced electronic flagging system –
with additional measures – to ensure all relevant information is identified and
“I want to reassure the coroner,
our partner agencies and the communities we serve that Northumbria Police is
committed to ensuring we have systems in place to manage offenders through
effective risk assessment and information sharing.”
Social media trespassers arrest warning
People who break into derelict or abandoned buildings to take photos for social media could be arrested, police warn.
A number of dedicated social media pages have been sharing pictures taken on private property.
Photos from inside the former General Hospital on Westgate Road in Newcastle were posted online last week.
Intruders also took pictures inside old nursing accommodation on the same site.
These buildings are closed to the public for a reason and many are structurally unsafe or contain hazardous materials, including asbestos. Those who force entry to these sites could be putting themselves at risk and so we are urging people to stop.
We are aware of some groups on social media that have been set up to show people inside these buildings. This could inspire other people to follow their lead but we want to make it clear that trespassing on these sites is illegal.
'Nothing can bring my sister back now'
Outside court following the conclusion of the inquest, Quyen Ngoc Nguyen's sister Quynh said the police and probation service "should have carried out procedures more strictly and earlier" to prevent her sibling's death.
She said: "It's too late for my family now. At least a better system can help other families to prevent other such tragedies.
"Nothing can bring my sister back now, the suffering from her death is unbearable and has hugely affected our family members physically and mentally.
"I was hoping that there would be some support for victims of crime, because we have to carry on with our lives, but we have had no support from anywhere over the last two years".
Chief Constable's drug law disappointment
Durham Police's Chief Constable Mike Barton says he is disappointed there hasn't been more change in laws relating to drugs offences.
Mr Barton, who will retire this week after seven years, says he hopes legislation can be changed in the coming years.
He joined Durham Constabulary in 2008 as assistant chief constable and was promoted to deputy chief constable the following year.
Since taking up the role he has repeatedly called for debate over the approach to tackling drug addiction.