England, United Kingdom

Latest Stories

Dagenham hit-and-run victim formally identified

John Avers
Met Police

A 47-year-old man who was killed in a hit-and-run in Dagenham has been formally identified.

John Avers was found fatally injured in a car park in Whalebone Lane South at about 23:45 on Sunday.

He was treated by paramedics but died at the scene. A post-mortem examination gave the cause of hi death as multiple injuries.

Scotland Yard believe he was hit by a car which then left the area.

Det Ch Insp Mark Wrigley said: "I and my officers believe John was deliberately harmed and we are treating this incident as a murder inquiry.

"We are using every available tactic to trace who was responsible for John’s death."

Fly-tipper fined for dumping rubbish in Chingford street

Local Democracy Reporting Service

A fly tipper was fined hundreds of pounds for dumping rubbish in the street – and then people sent to remove it were fined hundreds more because they did not have a licence to do so.

Waltham Forest Council officers investigated the enormous mound of rubbish containing mattresses, armchairs and other bulky pieces of furniture in Russell Road, Chingford, yesterday morning.

The officers gave the “guilty party” responsible for the fly tip a fixed penalty notice of £400, according to a tweet posted by Waltham Forest Council.

A van hired to remove the items arrived while officers were there and those inside were also fined £300 because they did not have a waste carrier licence.

Businesses that transport and dispose of waste need to have a waste carrier licence and can be fined up to £5,000 if they do not.

The licence costs £154 and may need to be renewed every three years, at a cost of £105 each time.

All the items have since been cleared from the street.

The council encourages residents to report fly-tipping on its website and aims to remove the rubbish within 24 hours of each report.

Man stabbed to death in Islington named by police

Kamal Nuur
Met Police

A man who was stabbed to death in Islington on Monday evening has been named by police.

Kamal Nuur was found fatally wounded when the Met were called to North Road at about 20:00.

No arrests have been made but detectives believe the 18-year-old had been chased and attacked in Goodinge Close, just off North Road, by two males who then fled in the direction of York Way.

Det Ch Insp Andy Partridge said: “Another senseless knife attack has left a family mourning the loss of their loved one...

“I am confident there are people out there who would have seen something which could well assist with our investigation. I would appeal to those individuals to please come forward and help us find those responsible.”

Grenfell files 'lost forever' after being 'wiped from laptop and server'

Daniel Anketell-Jones
PA Media
Daniel Anketell-Jones worked for cladding specialists Harley Facades

Some emails, documents and design drawings relating to the Grenfell Tower refurbishment appear to have been lost forever after being wiped from a laptop, the inquiry into the fire has heard.

Design manager Daniel Anketell-Jones, who worked for cladding specialists Harley Facades until March 2016, told the hearing he erased his work computer of all files when he kept the device when he left the firm.

The electrical and mechanical engineering graduate told the inquiry he made the "assumption" his work would remain on the Harley Facades server, which it did not, and denied a claim he arranged for his email file to be deleted from the firm's internal systems.

"I believed everything would be kept on the company server because all the laptops just attached into the server and all the emails were retained on there," he said.

Ray Bailey, managing director of cladding subcontractor Harley Facades
PA Media
Ray Bailey, managing director of cladding subcontractor Harley Facades, gave evidence to the inquiry

In his witness statement, Harley managing director Ray Bailey said he believed every Harley employee who worked on the revamp was able to pass on emails in the days following the June 2017 fire - except Mr Anketell-Jones, who he said had arranged to have his email file removed from its systems.

Asked about this by inquiry lawyer Kate Grange QC, Mr Anketell-Jones said: "I don't know what he means by that.

"I didn't arrange for that to happen. I don't think I would have the authority or the security to do that."

Mr Anketell-Jones, who worked for Harley for almost nine years, told the inquiry: "The material that was deleted would have related to all Harley projects I had worked on during my time at the company including the Grenfell Tower refurbishment project.

"This would have included emails, documents, design drawings, calculations."

He added: "Most of the information on the laptop would probably have related to 10 Trinity Square as I spent a lot of time working from site where access to the server wasn't as easy, so I would have kept offline files on the laptop for easy access.

"I doubt there would have been any files relating to Grenfell as these would have been on the server."

The inquiry continues.

Met Police make 680 Extinction Rebellion arrests

Police say they have arrested 680 people in connection with Extinction Rebellion (XR) protests in London so far this month.

Thursday marked the final day of advertised protests for XR, which began on 1 September.

The Metropolitan Police Service said that the arrests covered a range of offences, including obstructing the highway, criminal damage and breaching the conditions set under Section 14 of the Public Order Act (1986).

Extinction rebellion protests

Commander Jane Connors, from the Met, said: "At the beginning of this period of protests we warned demonstrators that if they failed to comply with conditions in place that they may be liable to arrest."The public have a right to protest, but they do not have a right to cause disruption to the communities and businesses across London. That is why we took swift action to make a number of arrests.

"This has been a large policing operation and we will continue to investigate those who we suspect to have committed offences, so the number of arrests is likely to rise."

Mural divides Leyton residents

Local Democracy Reporting Service

Leyton high street mural

Waltham Forest residents are divided on whether the new mural on Leyton High Road is cheerful and unique or a distracting waste of money.

The colourful design above shop fronts in Leyton High Road, between Sedgewick Road and Murchison Road, was designed by artist Camille Walala.

The project cost £40,000 in total, of which £25,000 was provided by the Mayor of London while the remainder came from crowdfunding.

Responding to a call for opinions from local residents, Shah Ahmed said: “They are very gimmicky, all these shops need is a clean up and regular cleaning.

“The council should be spending time and money on the public realm.”

Jo Eliana added: “I like modernism but this is too loud and busy for me. It’s too high contrast and uncomfortable to look at; visual sensory overload.”

Donna East said: “It’s a no for me, I liked what they did when it was the Olympics but this is a bit too much.”

However, others appreciated the pop of colour on the High Street, created using recycled paint from the Forest Recycling Project.

Helen O’Brien said: “I love it. It brightens up what was a drab series of shop fronts. More of this please.”

The project was completed with the help of local businesses such as Deeney’s and Wood Street Walls.

Black Cyclists Network: 'Why I thought this group was needed'
Mani Arthur was stopped and searched by the police last year during a ride to promote diversity.
Terminally ill 83-year-old gets dying wish
An 83-year-old terminally ill woman had her bucket list wish fulfilled when a group of bikers turned up on her doorstep.

Reward offered a year on from mistaken identity shooting

Wilson Alexandre Garcia Varela
Met Police

A £10,000 reward is being offered for help to find the killer of a man who was gunned down in a drive-by shooting a year ago.

Wilson Alexandre Garcia Varela, 24, was killed in Malden Road, Kentish Town, on 8 September in what police believe was a case of mistaken identity.

Det Ch Insp Simon Stancombe said: "This was a senseless killing, and one which has shattered the lives of Wilson’s family and partner. A year on, they are still searching for answers. The pain is still there.

"We know there are people out there who know who did this. We want to hear from anyone who might know anything – no detail is too small. It is not too late to do the right thing."

He added that: “Wilson was a young man with a bright future ahead, but it was brutally snatched from him. Why would anyone protect someone capable of such cruelty?... Help us get justice for Wilson and his family.”

Man stabbed to death in Brent named

Anthony Adekola
Met Police handout

A man stabbed to death in Barnet has been named as Anthony Adekola.

The 22-year-old was found by emergency service workers on Martlesham Walk just after 23:00 BST on Saturday.

Despite efforts by medics to save him, he was pronounced dead at the scene at 23:45 BST.

A special post-mortem examination is currently ongoing at Northwick Park Hospital. No arrests have been made.

Det Ch Insp Neil John, of Specialist Crime, said: “Another life has been tragically lost to knife crime, and our thoughts and sympathies are with Anthony’s friends and family at this difficult time.

"We continue to piece together the events of Saturday night and I would appeal to anyone who was in the area at the time and saw or heard anything suspicious to please contact us.”

‘The most important year of my life so far’
Many students are returning to school having missed months of classroom teaching because of coronavirus.

E-fit image released after attempted rape in Walthamstow

E-fit of attempted rapist
Met Police

An e-fit image of a man wanted in connection with the attempted rape of a woman in Walthamstow has been issued by police.

The incident happened at approximately 02:44 on 25 July when the woman was walking along Church Hill.

As she reached the zebra crossing near Folkestone Road she became aware of a man who followed her towards a small park in East Avenue.

A struggle ensued and the woman managed to fight off the attacker who is reported to have touched her inappropriately. The man then ran away and the woman called police.

Murder arrest on victim's birthday

Salem Koudou
Met Police

A teenager has been arrested over the murder of a man on what would have been his 21st birthday.

Salem Koudou, who was aged 20, was stabbed to death in Brixton on 20 August - four days before his birthday.

A post-mortem examination took place at Greenwich Mortuary gave the cause of death as multiple stab wounds.

Yesterday an 18-year-old man was arrested in Harlow, Essex, in connection with the murder.

A 26-year-old man has also been arrested in connection with the murder after being found with multiple stab wounds close to the scene of the murder.

A 19-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and grievous bodily harm.

An overturned car was found in nearby Marcella Road, SW9 and is being linked to this incident. At this stage, it is believed it may have collided with another car before overturning; there were no reports of any injuries directly as a result of this collision.

Det Ch Insp Richard Vandenberg said: "It should have been Salem’s birthday, but instead of celebrating, his family are suffering the pain and anguish of his loss.

"We need to understand the chain of events that led to this young man’s death, and for that we need the public’s help."