A resident has questioned whether a
trial of two temporary bus gates to stop cars driving through Oxford city
centre will be necessary.
A bus gate will be introduced in August by
Oxfordshire County Council on Hythe Bridge Street or Worcester Street, with the
other on St Cross Road or South Parks Road.
There are already bus gates in High
Street, George Street and Castle Street.
Resident Richard Parnham said: “[The
county council] has sprung these proposals under the cover of Covid. They
previously said they would consult and model but they’re rushing them through
so it’s a rush job and I’m not sure why it’s so urgent.”
But Oxford City Council’s deputy
leader Tom Hayes, who supports the trial, said: “They’re temporary, they could be
pulled out. So when the consultation gets underway after the bus gates have
been launched, we want to hear from people.”
The date the trial will be launched has not been confirmed.
Coronavirus: Cases confirmed in Oxfordshire
The latest number of cases of Covid-19 has been confirmed as 3,098 in Oxfordshire.
The figure is up by three cases since Tuesday.
The breakdown of figures by local authority area is: