She said the public had "shown our appreciation" and it was now up to ministers to "reward" key workers.
The event originally began as a one-off to support NHS staff on 26 March - three days after the UK went into lockdown.
However, after proving very popular, it was expanded to cover all key workers and has continued every Thursday at 20:00, with people peering out of their windows or standing on their doorsteps to show their appreciation by clapping, cheering, banging saucepans and playing instruments.
Appeal following suspected indecent exposure in York
Police in York are looking for a man suspected of indecently exposing himself in front of two 19-year-old women, before going on to perform a sexual act on himself.
The incident is reported to have happened on the cycle path between the Nestle factory entrance on Wigginton Road and New Earswick, at about 20:40 on Monday.
The man is described as Asian, in his 20s, with thick black hair, of medium build and about 5ft 9ins tall.
He was wearing jeans and a dark coloured jacket at the time of the offence, police say.
Anyone who has any information about the incident is asked to contact the police.
Swifts conservation effort focuses on 'sound of summer'
People in the Yorkshire Dales are being asked to help the conservation of
swifts by recording the location of nest sites or where they see a "screaming party" this
Swifts are currently returning from Africa to breed and can be seen in many Dales villages and towns, according to the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority.
Ian McPherson, from the authority, said: “Screaming parties of swifts is the sound of summer in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, so please do take a minute or two to submit a record if you see swifts flying near you.
"The more we know about where swifts are spending their time in the Dales, the more we can do to protect this truly wonderful species," he added.
The forms for recording a nest site or a screaming party can be found here.
You can find out more about the project in the Yorkshire Dales National Park's latest blog post.
Stations rebranded in commercial radio network shake up
Radio stations across Yorkshire are to be rebranded in a move which will create "the largest commercial radio network in the UK", a media company has announced.
Yorkshire Coast Radio, Dearne FM, and Minster FM are just some of the stations that will be rebranded as Greatest Hits Radio from September.
It follows Bauer Media buying stations owned by Lincs FM, Celador Radio and UKRD last year.
The media giant says it will now be "providing the highest listening hours of any commercial radio brand".
As part of the changes, some job roles will be "put into consultation" as some locally-made shows will stop and others produced across the county.
Dearne FM, Trax FM, Ridings FM and Rother FM will also become Greatest Hits Radio, as will Minster FM, Stray FM and Yorkshire Coast Radio.
KCFM will also become Greatest Hits Radio after a licensing agreement with their owners.
Dee Ford, from Bauer Radio, said: "Expanding the Hits Radio Brand Network will ensure listeners to these acquired stations benefit from multi-platform digital distribution meaning they can continue to broadcast in an increasingly competitive, digital and voice-activated world.
"This ensures the provision of local news and information, traffic and travel as well as access for advertisers to highly valued audiences.
"These changes do unfortunately mean that some roles will be put into consultation and freelance contracts reviewed."
Sheep escape as trailer tips over on York ring road
A number of sheep have had to be rescued from people's gardens after a trailer carrying the animals tipped over in York.
The vehicle toppled over at the Strensall Road roundabout on the A1237 at Earswick.
The animals then "escaped" and ran off into people gardens nearby, a witness told the BBC.
There are no reported injuries, but the road has been closed as the sheep are rounded up.
York drugs raid aftermath caught on camera
Pictures have been released of the aftermath of drugs raids in York in which two men and a woman were arrested on suspicion of supplying illegal drugs.
Officers forced their way into four different properties in the city on Friday, say police.
During the raids, a 33-year-old man and a 34-year-old woman were arrested at a house in Dunnington.
Meanwhile, a 28-year-old man was arrested at an address on Melrosegate in Tang Hall.
An amount of suspected illegal drugs were seized from both properties, according to officers.
All three suspects were arrested on suspicion of possession of cocaine, abstracting electricity, possession with intent to supply Class A and Class B drugs, and being concerned in the production of cannabis.
They've been released under investigation while inquiries continue, officers add.
A number of cannabis grows were also found during simultaneous raids on a property in Clifton in York and at a storage facility in Stamford Bridge, according to North Yorkshire Police.
A Michelin-starred chef in North Yorkshire
has been sent a letter about child employment by a council officer after
he was filmed making meals with his children for frontline NHS staff.
Andrew Pern, who runs a number of award-winning
restaurants, including the The Star Inn at Harome and Mr P’s Curious Tavern in
York, was sent the letter by an officer at North Yorkshire County Council after
he appeared on BBC Look North with his family.
The letter said “it appeared
that there were children helping out in your commercial kitchen”.
It continued: “I wanted to take this
opportunity to offer you some guidance relating to child employment and have
enclosed an information leaflet for your perusal.”
Tweeting a picture of the letter he
received, Mr Pern said two of his children - aged 21 and 15 - were helping him to cook
the meals at his home and called for “common sense”.
A councillor responded to the tweet, saying the authority would be apologising.
Seaside resort 'forced' to reopen toilets
A seaside resort in North Yorkshire might be forced to reopen public toilets this bank holiday weekend.
The decision comes after some visitors
to Scarborough have been relieving themselves in the street
after facilities were closed during the lockdown.
Liz Colling, deputy leader of Scarborough Council, said the authority was reluctant to reopen the toilets, but said
she was left “shocked” by visitors’ behaviour during the week.
“We have had public urination and worse,”
Bosses of the Yorkshire Dales National Park say sweeping cutbacks will be needed “across the board” to balance its books following coronavirus and lockdown restrictions.
Just six weeks after the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority approved its budget for the coming year, promising what was described as an ambitious programme of initiatives, its chief executive David Butterworth said falling income had forced it to pull back on many of the goals.
Lockdown in April alone saw the authority lose £90,000 due to the closure of car parks, and, with national park centres and the Dales Countryside Museum having to remain closed, its earned income could drop by an estimated £737,000.
The government has advised national park authorities not to expect a handout and instead make use of the furlough scheme, cut programmes planned for this year and use their reserves.
Ahead of a meeting next week, Mr Butterworth said: “We've tried to protect the authority’s priority programmes, but there's had to be cuts across the board in terms of what we are doing.”
He added he would be surprised if making redundancies became necessary this year, but due to the rapidly changing situation, expected a need for at least one more revised budget.
North Yorkshire County Council says it's operating a relief service for anyone who needs help with getting essentials such as shopping and prescriptions ahead of the long weekend.
In a video message (above), Gary Fielding, Director of Strategic Resources, said: “We have staff and extra volunteers to meet any additional demand, but people are encouraged to think ahead about what they might need.
"Our staff and extra volunteers are going the extra mile to plug the gap and make sure everybody has what they need this weekend.
"I want people to feel reassured we are here to help,” he added.
Residents are also being urged to check on their neighbours, particularly if they have helped somebody in the first few weeks of lockdown and haven’t been in contact since.
Since lockdown measures began, North Yorkshire Police officers have recorded drivers at speeds of up to 132mph.
Roads Policing Insp Dave Barf (pictured) said: “In the last week, significantly more traffic is sharing the roads, with cyclists and pedestrians using the roads for exercise.
“Also, many motorists have made fewer journeys and our traffic officers have noticed driving skills appear to have become rusty."
He added: “Speed's under the spotlight, but we’re also reminding motorists to give themselves extra time at junctions, check mirrors, concentrate on road position and never use a mobile phone while driving.
“There’s no doubt speed kills and anyone who disagrees has no idea of the collisions we deal with, so next time you use the road, please remember to 'slow down and save lives'."
Capt Tom Moore fund gives £1.7m to Yorkshire NHS charities
More than £1.7m raised by Capt Tom Moore is being handed out to NHS charities in Yorkshire.
The war veteran raised more than £32m for NHS charities by walking 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday.
Police in North Yorkshire are warning motorists not to break the speed limit after one driver was estimated to be doing 70mph in York city centre.
Traffic police in the county say they've also witnessed some motorists driving at more than 100mph.
Concerns were raised by the county's Chief Constable, Lisa Winward, at a virtual North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner meeting.
She told the meeting one report estimated a driver was doing up to 70mph and encouraged people to report any speeding incidents to police.
The Chief Constable said: "Officers have dealt with people driving in excess of 100mph on our roads and putting others at risk and they will be stopped and prosecuted for that irresponsible behaviour.
"I'm urging people taking advantage of our quieter roads to use them as a race track to just stop and think about the impact that could have on themselves, their families and other members of the community."
Speaking at the same meeting, Jon Foster from the fire and rescue service, said crews have seen a steep increase in callouts to road accidents since lockdown was relaxed a week ago.
He said that between 1 April and 12 May crews had been called to just eight crashes, but that in the past week they had attended the same amount.
Investigation into 'arson' attack on York home
An investigation's begun into a suspected arson attack on a home in York city centre in the early hours of this morning.
Police and fire crews were alerted to the blaze in a three-storey residential building on Gillygate at about 04:15.
The fire service says: "Crews extinguished the fire which started in bedroom. The cause of the fire is believed to be deliberate."
There was no one in the property and the road was reopened at 05:15, the fire service added.
Airbags have been stolen from four vans in the last two days in the Redcar and Cleveland area, police have said.
Three Vauxhall Vivaros in the Eston area were targeted – two in Woodcock Close and one in Clive Road – overnight from Sunday into Monday and another in Skippers Lane, Normanby, was attacked last night into this morning.
The latest vehicle also had wheel trims stolen.Other items stolen in the series of raids included tools and a bike and in the majority of the cases, a window was smashed to gain access.
"We’d ask vehicle owners to be aware of this and where possible to park securely in a locked garage or behind closed or locked gates if you have a driveway," a Cleveland Police spokeswoman said.
Officers are appealing for information including CCTV footage.
Man remanded over Thornaby murder charge
A man accused of murdering a motorist in his car has appeared before a crown court judge for the first time.
Alexander Layton is accused of fatally stabbing 40-year-old James Stokoe in his BMW in Thornaby, Teesside, on Friday afternoon.
The 33-year-old from Shackleton Close in Thornaby appeared before Judge Stephen Ashurst via a video-link to Teesside Crown Court.
He was remanded in custody to appear again on 14 August to enter pleas to charges of murder and possession of an offensive weapon.
The judge said any trial, scheduled to last for four to five days, would be listed at a future date.
Over the weekend, Mr Stokoe's family paid tribute to him, saying: "James was a much loved husband, father, son and son-in-law. He was a treasured friend to so many people. James was a wonderfully kind and gentle person. There are no words to express our sadness."
Council plea for extra funding to weather Covid-19 storm
The City of York Council is warning the coronavirus outbreak could have a "deeply troubling" impact on services in the city.
Council leader, Keith Aspden, says he's written to the government saying the authority needs £24m on top of the £10m it's already received, to weather the Covid-19 storm.
The move comes after Labour members said more than 600 York residents could lose adult or child social care support without extra funding for councils from the government.
Councillor Nigel Ayre said: “The potential impact of a funding crisis on social care and front-line services is deeply troubling, but I can assure residents we'll do all we can to protect services for the most vulnerable in our communities.
“It's vital the government sticks to its promise and supports local authorities to cover the cost of the Covid-19 pandemic."
A Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government spokesperson has previously said £3.2bn of emergency funding has been given to councils to to tackle coronavirus pressures.