By Andrew Harding
That's all from BBC Africa Live for now. We're taking a break over the Easter weekend, so there'll be an automated service until Tuesday. You can still get the latest news from across the continent on the BBC News website and the Africa Today podcast.
A reminder of our wise words of the day:Quote Message: What can't kill a herder can never kill all his cows." from A Runyankore proverb sent by Geofrey Rurekyera in Mbarara, Uganda
And we leave you with this Angolan artist's shot:
BBC News, Lusaka
The Zambian government has revoked a licence for one of the country’s most popular TV stations - Prime Television.
The reason for revoking the licence wasn't given but it came after the channel refused to air free coronavirus-awareness ads.
The decision was announced by the Independent Broadcasting Authority Director-General Josephine Mapoma. This government body is responsible for issuing licences to television and radio stations.
Ms Mapoma said the move was "necessary in the interest of public safety, security, peace, welfare or good order".
Prime Television is owned by Gerald Shawa, who is also Zambia Independent Broadcasters Association (Ziba) chairperson.Last month, the Zambian government called for a meeting with owners of TV and radio stations where they appealed for free airing of the awareness campaign.
However, speaking in his capacity as Ziba chairperson, Mr Shawa said the media owners were not willing to air the ads because the state already owed them a lot of money from adverts that were previously not paid for.The government then singled him out and instructed all its agencies to stop advertising on the station, barred the organisation from covering their events and banned its officials from appearing on the station.Despite Mr Shawa apologising for his remarks, the state has now revoked the station's licence.Mr Shawa was not available for a comment.
The IBA says he is free to appeal against the decision to the minister of information.
BBC News, Dar es Salaam
The lawyer for the founder of the Tanzanian whistleblowing website Jamii Forums has said his client, Maxence Mello, will challenge a court judgement against him.
On Wednesday a magistrate's court in Dar es Salaam found Mr Mello guilty of obstructing police investigations in a case that spanned four years.
Subsequently, the court sentenced the Jamii Forums founder to one year in jail or payment of a fine of three million Tanzanian shillings ($1,300; £1,000).
In December 2016, Mr Mello was arrested for refusing to reveal to authorities the names of anonymous contributors to the whistleblowing website.
The next day, police searched his office and arrested two other employees before proceeding to carry out a search of Mr Melo’s house.
Its founders say that the website’s anonymity policy allows Tanzanians to expose corruption and push for political accountability in the country.
But protecting users’ identities has come at a cost. In the last three years, Mr Melo has appeared in court over 130 times.
Last year, rights organisation Committee to Protect Journalists recognised Mr Melo’s work with its International Press Freedom Award.
- Read more: Tanzania’s 'accidental journalist'
South Africa’s president, Cyril Ramaphosa, who is also the current head of the African Union (AU), has defended the World Health Organization (WHO) following President Trump’s criticism of the WHO's handling of coronavirus.
In a statement released on Wednesday night, President Ramaphosa reaffirmed the AU’s support for the WHO Chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and called for international co-operation in fighting the virus.
"As the world grapples with the challenge of the coronavirus there is a need for solidarity, unity of purpose and better coordination to ensure that we are able to overcome this common enemy”, the statement read.
Mr Ramaphosa went on to say that the AU extends its unwavering support to the WHO, and added that "we should avoid the temptation to apportion blame".
President Ramaphosa's support of Dr Tedros and the WHO comes after US President Donald Trump's criticism of the organisation.
In a briefing on Tuesday, Mr Trump – who's been accused of acting too slowly against the virus - accused the WHO of providing bad advice when the outbreak started.
He also said the organisation is "China-centric" and threatened to cut down funding.
The WHO's $2.5bn (£2bn) annual budget comes from member nations, as well as non-profit organisations, foundations, companies and universities.
Contrary to Mr Trump's comments, the US does not provide the majority of the funding for the WHO but it is the largest single contributor.
Beninese singer Zeynab Abib shows us the essentials she has in her bag, and shares her fashion formula for nailing that queen look.
Lerato Mbele visits the Four Cousins vineyard, which is hoping to reach a new generation of wine drinkers.
Senegalese food firm Patisen has ambitions to expand to 14 other African countries.
Africa editor, BBC World Service
Chad says it has killed 1,000 jihadists in an operation in the Lake Chad area against the Islamist militant group Boko Haram.
Army spokesman Col Azem Agouna said 52 Chadian soldiers were killed during the six-day battle, known as Bohoma’s Anger.
President Idriss Deby has visited Lake Chad. He said not a single Boko Haram fighter remains on the islands where the jihadists had their hideouts.
He said it was regrettable that Chad had been left on its own to fight on the lake, a vast marshy area where the borders of Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon and Chad converge.
The offensive was launched after suspected Islamists last month killed nearly 100 Chadian troops during a seven-hour attack on an island base.
There has been no independent confirmation and Boko Haram has not commented on the claims.
BBC News, NairobiCopyright: BBC
Rwanda's courts have started to conduct trials through video link-up in an effort to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
In a room at Kigali metropolitan police station suspects sat separated, in masks and handcuffed.
Everyone waited their turn in front of a TV screen to face the prosecution and judges, who were in different rooms across the capital.
It is week three of the lockdown in Rwanda, where 110 people were infected by the virus.
Courts had closed during the lockdown but crimes continued to be committed so people kept being added to the list of those awaiting trial.
The spokesperson for Rwanda's courts, Harrison Mutabazi, told journalists that they want to reduce the backlog.
When it's their turn, a suspect is freed from handcuffs and goes in front of the unusual trial.
Mr Mutabazi said this technology would be used in other courts in Rwanda during the lockdown.
Last week, the prosecution service started releasing those suspected of petty crimes to avoid holding too many people and risk speeding up the spread of Covid-19.
BBC News, Kampala
Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni has released a video of himself working out in his office, to encourage citizens to exercise at home during the coronavirus pandemic.
In the video, the president, barefoot, starts off by jogging around the room to warm up. He then gets down to do 21 press-ups in one go, as his press team counts along. He does 30 press ups in total.
On Wednesday, the president banned exercise in public as a control measure against coronavirus, after videos and photos of people working out in groups around the capital Kampala were posted on social media, despite the country being in a lockdown.
This is not the first time the president has brought his own health into focus.
The 75-year old told the nation last year that he had lost 30kg (five stone) because he had started to focus on his health and fitness.
In January Mr Museveni walked 200 km (125 miles) through the Luweero triangle, where he had his bases as he fought the war that brought him to power.
Uganda has so far registered 53 cases of coronavirus.
BBC News, Hong Kong
Scores of African students and businessmen remain on the streets of China's southern city of Guangzhou for a second night following the mass eviction of African nationals from hotels and apartment blocks.
Online rumours that the coronavirus was spreading among the thousands of Africans in the city led to door-to-door testing, evictions and accusations of forced quarantine.
"We have no house, no food, no hotel," one student from Nigeria told the BBC.
"There are up to 100 people still on the streets. People want to go back to our countries. I don’t know what the problem is with China. Everywhere that Africans live they are pushing us away.”
In an open letter penned by the All African Association of Guangzhou, community leaders called on the authorities to end the "the inhuman treatment, hatred, and outright discrimination of Africans that is currently going on in Guangzhou".
“About 10 African community leaders in Guangzhou are technically under house arrest using the term quarantine. These actions are difficult to comprehend when you consider the fact that these are people whose official test results came back negative just one or two days ago.”
In a written statement, the Nigerian embassy in Beijing said the federal government was now prepared to evacuate its citizens from China.
Thousands of Africans have been stranded in Wuhan and nearby cities close to the original Covid-19 outbreak since late January. Wednesday saw the official lifting of the lockdown in Wuhan. But this does not apply to many international students who still remain confined to their apartments.
Guangzhou is home to one of China’s largest African communities and has become a hub for African traders buying and selling goods to the continent.
BBC News, Maputo
Rioting broke out in the Mozambican port city of Nacala on Wednesday after the authorities tried to ban motorcycle taxis, according to a report in Thursday’s issue of the newspaper Noticias.
The justification for the ban is that the close proximity between the cyclist and his passenger facilitates transmission of coronavirus.
On Wednesday morning, the police seized two motorbikes. Motorbike taxi drivers reacted with protests, erecting barricades and blocking the main road through the city, the newspaper reports.
Some of the rioters looted market stalls and shops, it adds.
The police reportedly used tear gas and fired into the air to disperse the protesters.
The spokesperson for the Nacala District Police Command is quoted as saying that 11 people, believed to be ringleaders in the rioting, had been arrested.
On Wednesday afternoon the government lifted the ban on the taxis, provided the driver and passenger wear face masks.
BBC News, Kampala
Four officials in the Ugandan prime minister's office have been arrested for alleged corruption over the purchasing of food aid to be distributed during the coronavirus lockdown.
The officials include the permanent secretary - the most senior technocrat in the office.
According to the presidential Anti-Corruption Unit, they flouted procurement procedures by rejecting lower price offers from suppliers of beans and maize flour.
The government launched a food-distribution initiative for 1.4 million residents of the capital, Kampala, and nearby districts last Saturday.
The scheme is to help the most vulnerable communities cope with restrictions put in place to control the spread of coronavirus.
The food is being distributed door-to-door to avoid overcrowding.
President Yoweri Museveni gave the unit powers to investigate any corruption in the handling of funds and logistics meant for the pandemic response.
BBC Great Lakes
Burundi has released 2,261 people who were quarantined in facilities around the country for observation.
Health Minister Thaddée Ndikumana said those released had shown no known symptoms of Covid-19, the respiratory illness caused by coronavirus.
It is unclear if they were tested for the disease.
The minister said 675 people will continue being quarantined.
Burundi has so far confirmed three cases of coronavirus, the second least in East Africa after South Sudan which has reported two cases.
The minister said 34 contacts of three confirmed cases had all tested negative.
The government has not restricted movement in and out of the country although arriving travellers must undergo a 14-day mandatory quarantine.
Botswana's 57 MPs will be put in mandatory quarantine for 14 days after a parliamentary nurse tested positive for Covid-19, the respiratory illness caused by coronavirus.
The order to quarantine the lawmakers was made by Director of Health Services Malaki Tshipayagae, according to a tweet from the government.
The country on Thursday confirmed seven new coronavirus cases, including a health worker who was on duty during parliament's session on Wednesday.
President Mokgweetsi Masisi also attended the session in which lawmakers debated on extending the state of emergency to to six months.
The president recently concluded his 14 days in quarantine after he returned from Namibia in March.
Botswana now has a total of 13 confirmed coronavirus cases.
The country is on a 28-day lockdown to prevent the spread of the virus.
The Portuguese hacker who was the source for the Luanda Leaks revelations has been transferred to house arrest after leaving the prison in Lisbon where he's been held for more than a year.
Rui Pinto leaked documents which revealed how Africa's richest woman, Isabel dos Santos, made her fortune.
The documents show how the daughter of former Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos and her husband were allowed to buy valuable state assets in a series of suspicious deals and build a $2bn (£1.6bn) fortune.
Ms Dos Santos denies the allegations, and has called them a politically motivated witch hunt.
The revelation triggered a major criminal investigation in Angola.
Mr Pinto has been in prison awaiting trial on a different count - relating to the football world.
He founded the Football Leaks website to uncover alleged corruption in the sport and provided millions of documents to the media.
He faces 90 criminal charges including computer fraud and attempted extortion.
But his lawyers argue that information he released has helped in the fight against serious economic crimes.
Chi Chi Izundu
BBC News, Lagos
A Cameroonian mother who gave birth after testing positive for coronavirus says she is yet to meet her daughter.
Marie Youri said after her daughter, Foraya, was born, doctors told her she couldn’t see her.
Doctors confirmed to the BBC that they rushed the child to the neonatal ward to prevent her catching the coronavirus.
Miss Youri said medical staff had reassured her; “I felt very alone. I was really surprised and I was crying. The doctors supported me, they told me it would be all right.”
The 19-year-old is said to be doing well with oxygen treatment in an isolation ward in Cameroon's capital, Yaoundé and will be tested again in 10 days time to see if she is positive or negative for the virus.
The baby was born prematurely weighing 2.1kg (4.6lb) and is in the neonatal unit.
Dr Kemme Kemme Marileine, who was part of the team who helped deliver Foraya, said that the baby is doing very well and has not displayed any coronavirus symptoms.
“It’s true that we did a further investigation to find out if there is a chance that the virus could have entered the baby, but based on the literature there is no mother-to-child infection.
“Nowadays the baby is fine. She’s added 2kg and is a healthy baby even though she was born earlier than the term. But she’s very fine. So, no temperature, no signs that could mean its Covid-19 infection.”
Dr Marileine also said that even though Marie was in her own isolation room, the birth was “one of the scariest things” she’d encountered since the pandemic outbreak.
“Because I was thinking about that young lady, I was thinking about her having her very first pregnancy, and I was like I want this baby to be alive, so I was very, very emotional with that special case.
“I was very happy that everything went very good. That was a big responsibility and a big challenge for me to manage the situation to make sure everything is ok. Our big, big fear was to lose the baby, so it was a very, very big challenge for us.”
The West African country has confirmed 677 coronavirus cases and nine deaths to date.
Malawi's Vice-President Saulos Chilima has urged President Peter Mutharika to move back the capital, Lilongwe, as opposed to the commercial city of Blantyre to reduce costs.
Mr Chilima said the money used by cabinet ministers and the president's staff to pay for hotels should be redirected to the fight against coronavirus.
He also proposed that five state lodges, which are the president's official residents spread across the country, be turned into isolation centres.
Relations between President Mutharika and the vice-president soured after an alliance of their parties collapsed last year in the run up to the general elections.
The vice-president challenged President Mutharika in the presidential election and finished third. But the vote was annulled by a court in February this year, citing irregularities, and a new election ordered. The court allowed Mr Chilima to retain his vice-president position until the election is held.
Mr Chilima's United Transformation Movement (UTM) has since formed an alliance with the Malawi Congress Party (MCP) ahead of the repeat election.
On Wednesday, he told a media briefing that he would donate his entire salary to the fight against the virus and termed the president's 10% wage cut as "insignificant".
"I sincerely request the president and cabinet members to at least donate 50% of their salaries and fuel allocations to go toward the Covid-19 response," he said.
Malawi reported its first coronavirus on 2 April - one of the last countries to do so. It has confirmed eight cases so far.
The country, among the world's poorest, has declared a state of emergency.
All social gatherings of more than 100 people, such as funerals, church services and political rallies, have been banned.