We're closing our live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic for the day.
The news story that has dominated 2020 shows no sign of winding down as we move towards 2021.
In today's main developments:
- Finland became the latest country to confirm a case of the new Covid-19 variant that was first identified in the UK
- South Korea also confirmed cases of the new variant as a family tested positive after returning from the UK
- In the UK, a further 41,385 Covid cases and 357 deaths were reported
- England's "very high" Covid infection level is a "growing concern" as hospitals struggle to cope with rising demand, a health official has said
- Russia extended its suspension of flights to and from the UK until 12 January, Russian news agencies report
- A Chinese citizen journalist who covered Wuhan's coronavirus outbreak was jailed for four years for "picking quarrels and provoking trouble"
- The English Premier League football match between Everton and Manchester City has been postponed amid positive tests among the City squad
- More than 200 British skiers reportedly fled coronavirus quarantine in the Swiss resort of Verbier.
Today's live page was brought to you by Sarah Collerton, Victoria Bisset, Adrian Dalingwater, Vanessa Buschschluter and Laurence Peter.
Thanks for joining us.