Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Live Reporting

Edited by Helier Cheung and John Hand

All times stated are UK

Get involved

  1. That's it from us today

    Thanks for following our live coverage today.

    We'll be back again tomorrow with all the latest coronavirus news from the UK and around the world. Today's live page was edited by Helier Cheung, John Hand and Lauren Turner and written by Joshua Nevett, Alice Evans, George Wright, Becky Morton and Ritu Prasad.

  2. Thank you for joining us...

    People wear protective face and nose masks as they stroll along a street in Locronan, western France on August 10, 2020

    We're about to pause our live coverage for the day - thank you for joining us. Here is a round-up of the day's biggest developments from across the globe:

    • The World Health Organization says global Covid-19 cases will reach 20 million this week
    • Australia has recorded its deadliest day of the pandemic with a further 19 deaths, but the number of daily infections are falling
  3. Florida sees lowest new cases since June

    Florida on Monday reported just over 4,200 new cases - the lowest new case count in the state since 23 June. The Sunshine State also reported 91 additional deaths.

    Last month, Florida was one of several US states seeing a spike in Covid-19 cases, at one point seeing consecutive days with over 10,000 new cases. Critics blamed a hasty reopening and lack of statewide regulations for the rise.

    While this signals a positive trend, Florida isn't out of the woods yet - there are still more than 30,000 residents in hospital for Covid-19, though emergency department visits have also been on the decline in the last two weeks. In all, more than 530,000 Floridians have tested positive for the virus and more than 8,000 have died.

    The state's positive test rate is also dropping, but remains high.

    Florida Senator Marco Rubio said the numbers were "good news" but cautioned: "We need to stay on this track and not let complacency put us back in another surge."

  4. Theatre boss says woman removed mask to cough in son's face

    The artistic director of London's Young Vic Theatre, Kwame Kwei-Armah, has said a woman removed her mask to cough in the face of his 15-year-old son on public transport.

    The director and playwright, who is black, tweeted about the incident, saying the white women then ran off the train shouting, "this is what you people do".

    He added that he was "relieved" his son had subsequently tested negative for coronavirus.

    View more on twitter
  5. Cuba sees biggest daily spike in cases

    Will Grant

    BBC News, Havana

    People queue to buy products with US dollars at a store in Havana on July 20, 2020

    Cuba has registered its highest daily number of coronavirus cases after a recent rise in local transmission.

    The health ministry reported 93 cases just as the capital Havana re-entered a period of tighter restrictions.

    The recent spike in numbers comes after Cuba appeared to have successfully controlled the outbreak.

    While just 93 positive cases in 24 hours might be considered an enviable figure by countries where the pandemic is at its most fierce, in Cuba it represents a step backwards.

    Having recently registered no cases and no deaths from Covid-19 on one day a few weeks back, the island has gradually slid back to a situation where it has recorded its highest daily figure.

    Havana is facing a tightening of controls. Under the government’s phased system of restrictions, public transport has been suspended, inter-provincial travel prohibited, bars and restaurants ordered shut and the beaches closed.

    Fortunately, for the time being, deaths have not risen from the 88 people who had died from the virus by the beginning of the month.

    However, the effort to see tourism pick up has suffered a setback, further worsening the island’s dire economic outlook for this year.

  6. Beirut Covid-19 hospital 'close to capacity', director says

    Joshua Nevett

    BBC News

    Director of the Rafic Hariri University Hospital, Firass Abiad
    Image caption: Dr Firass Abiad said his hospital was "close to capacity"

    Lebanon’s main Covid-19 hospital in Beirut is “close to capacity” after a spike in infections and last week’s explosion led to an influx of patients, its director has said.

    Dr Firass Abiad, chief executive of Rafic Hariri University Hospital, told the BBC there has been an exponential rise in the number of coronavirus cases in Lebanon recently.

    A further 294 virus infections were recorded on Sunday, the biggest increase yet over a 24-hour period, according to Lebanon’s health ministry.

    More than 100 new infections have been recorded every day since 21 July, placing strain on Lebanon’s healthcare system.

    “Obviously we’re extremely close to capacity, especially when it comes to ICU beds. We’re working within the 90% plus occupancy rate,” Dr Abiad said.

    “This is worrisome because we have to factor in what happened after the explosion.”

    The explosion, which killed more than 200 people and caused widespread destruction, made it difficult for people to abide by coronavirus regulations, like social distancing, Dr Abiad said.

    This will probably “augment the rise in Covid-19 cases we’re already seeing”, Dr Abiad added.

    Read more: Beirut explosion: Before-and-after images

  7. What are the options to fix Scottish exam results system?

    Pupils protesting exam results
    Image caption: Some pupils joined a protest over the way results were graded last week

    First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has admitted her government "did not get it right" with the system used to produce grades for Scottish school pupils, after exams were cancelled because of the pandemic.

    Education Secretary John Swinney will announce his plans to tackle the problem on Tuesday - but what are his options?

    From using teachers' predicted grades to letting students sit exams, our explainer runs through the possibilities our explainer runs through the possibilities.

  8. Berlin pupils start school with hand-cleansing

    Video content

    Video caption: Berlin pupils start school with hand-cleansing

    Children have begun the new school year in Berlin with hand hygiene and wearing masks.

    But the coronavirus rules vary from school to school across Germany, as education is a matter for each federal state.

    At Graues Kloster, a private school in Berlin, masks are worn in the classroom, as well as in corridors and other communal areas.

    Masks and social distancing are being hotly debated in Germany, even as classes resume.

  9. Contact tracers to be reduced by 6,000 in England

    Pallab Ghosh

    Science correspondent, BBC News

    The government will be reducing the number of people employed to track down contacts of those who have tested positive for coronavirus from 18,000 to 12,000.

    NHS Test and Trace, working with Public Health England, will put greater emphasis on contact tracing at a local level, with local authorities getting their own dedicated teams.

    In May, Health Secretary Matt Hancock announced that an “army” of contact tracers would be recruited for England's test and trace service. Early on, there were reports that new recruits were sitting idle – with one telling the BBC that she spent her time watching Netflix.

    Some 6,000 of them are now being stood down in England. More of their work will be conducted by local staff with knowledge of their area. The Department of Health has said that this is to provide a “more tailored approach” which has been successfully trialled in Blackburn, Luton and Leicester.

    But critics will see it as the latest example of the government departing from its centralised approach to tackling the outbreak.

    Plans to launch a national app to identify potentially infected people have been repeatedly delayed.

    Now the top-down high-tech strategy for contact tracing is making way for what seasoned local public health officials describe as old fashioned “shoe leather epidemiology”.

    This relies on people with local knowledge collecting information by going door-to-door on foot.

    Read the full story here.

  10. US millennials hit hardest by Covid-19 job losses

    Young people in the US continue to be most affected by the economic crash caused by Covid-19, with one new report putting the figure for unemployed millennials on par with the number of Americans who have been infected.

    The Wall Street Journal reports that 4.8m millenials have lost their job due to the shutdown, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of St Louis. More than 5m Americans have tested positive for Covid-19., more than a quarter of all the cases in the world.

    Millennials are less likely to have savings, and more likely to lose their job amid the pandemic, experts say.

  11. Further 21 coronavirus deaths in the UK

    A further 21 coronavirus deaths have been reported in the UK, taking the total number of people who have died after testing positive for the virus to 46,526.

    Public Health England said 69 historical deaths had been removed from the total because the individuals were later found not to have been positive for Covid-19.

    Graph showing daily coronavirus deaths in the UK

    The latest government figures also showed 816 new cases had been recorded.

    Earlier we reported there had been eight deaths recorded today, due to partially updated information on the government's coronavirus data dashboard.

    Graph showing daily confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK
  12. Boy guilty over Oxford Street 'coronavirus attack'

    Jonathan Mok
    Image caption: Jonathan Mok posted a selfie and another photo of his injuries on Facebook

    A 15-year-old boy has admitted attacking a student from Singapore who was told "we don't want your coronavirus in our country".

    Jonathan Mok, 23, was beaten up on Oxford Street near Tottenham Court Road Tube station in London on 24 February.

    The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court to wounding or grievous bodily harm without intent.

    He will be sentenced at the same court next month.

    Prosecutor Beata Murphy said the teenager had been with a group of friends when they saw UCL student Mr Mok walking along Oxford Street just after 21:00 GMT.

    She added: "He [the victim] heard someone say something about coronavirus and he turned around and was told 'don't you look at me'.

    "He was then punched in the face... until a passerby said to stop assaulting Mr Mok.

    "He believes he was targeted because of ethnicity."

    Read more here.

  13. What do NI shoppers make of mandatory face coverings?

    From today face coverings are compulsory in shops and other enclosed spaces in Northern Ireland.

    The move was broadly welcomed by both shoppers and retailers in east Belfast.

    One customer said she found wearing a face covering "difficult" but felt it was something she would have to get used to.

    Shopper in east Belfast wearing a mask

    Mark Thompson, whose partner is a health worker, said he has been wearing a face covering since the start of the pandemic and is glad that more people will doing the same.

    "I think it's a bit irresponsible if you don't wear a mask, specifically in shops," he said.

    Stephen Bradley, who is a business owner in Belfast city centre, said: "We are leaving the onus on the individual."

    "We have masks on ourselves when we are in the shop to make people feel as safe as possible," he added.

    However, the Police Service of Northern Ireland has said the primary responsibility for enforcement will lie with shops owners - and the force would only use enforcement "as a last resort", with fines of up to £60 for those who don't comply.

    Read more here.

  14. North Korean Red Cross 'deploys 43,000 in virus prevention'

    Passengers wearing protective facemasks (face mask) inside a trolley bus in Pyongyang, North Korea, February 2020
    Image caption: Passengers wearing face masks in Pyongyang

    North Korea's Red Cross has deployed 43,000 volunteers to assist in preventing the spread of the pandemic, the International Red Cross says.

    It comes after North Korean leader Kim Jong- un declared an emergency in July, and imposed a lockdown on the city of Kaesong. State media said that a man who defected to South Korea in 2017 had returned and was showing symptoms of Covid-19.

    The secretive state had previously not reported any virus cases and Kim Jong-un hailed his country's "shining success" in dealing with Covid-19.

    However, experts say that it is unlikely the country had zero virus cases.

    There have been rumours of Covid-19 cases in North Korea for months, but the country's tightly-controlled society and state media have made them impossible to confirm, analysts say.

  15. Angry Lebanese 'not listening to Covid rules', hospital director says

    Joshua Nevett

    Journalist, BBC World Online

    Aftermath of Beirut explosion
    Image caption: More than 200 people are believed to have been killed by Tuesday's explosion

    The director of Lebanon's main Covid-19 hospital has told the BBC that he believes people angered by last week's blast are not listening to government coronavirus rules.

    "We’re seeing is that people are becoming very tired and very angry," said Dr Firass Abiad, director of Rafic Hariri University Hospital.

    "This is not conducive to asking them to follow certain rules. Whatever the government comes out and says, I don’t think the people will follow those rules."

    A lot of staff that could have been allocated to fighting Covid-19 are now being required to take care of people injured in the explosion, he added.

    "Because we’re a Covid hospital, we had to take care of Covid patients from another hospital that was damaged. So at the same time we were receiving Covid patients from that hospital and casualties from the blast," Dr Abiad said.

    "If that explosion did not happen, we might have had more staff available," he added.

  16. Eligibility for fertility treatment to be extended in NI

    Louise Cullen

    BBC News NI

    Baby

    Eligibility for anyone currently on the waiting list for fertility treatment in Northern Ireland is to be extended by a year, as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

    A phased return of services began at the Regional Fertility Centre earlier, after being suspended in March.

    Staff will contact patients when their appointments can resume, with opening hours extended to provide as many safe appointments as possible.

    Health Minister Robin Swann said the extension to eligibility would remove the pressure for women who would otherwise breach the upper age limit before receiving treatment.

    Fertility clinics in the rest of the UK were given the go ahead to open again from 11 May.

  17. 'Artificial office noise helps me concentrate'

    Simon Read

    Business Reporter

    Paul Hewson
    Image caption: Paul Hewson finds background noise helps him concentrate

    Being forced to work from home during lockdown has been isolating for many.

    Some, like statistician Paul Hewson, have turned to websites providing artificial office noise for help.

    The sites, which provide background noises of things like printers and coffee machines, as well as people chatting, have attracted millions of hits during the crisis.

    "Having the background office chatter means when I really need to concentrate I can," Mr Hewson told the BBC.

    "I don't know whether it's the office sound that works or just having a feeling of human contact."

    Mr Hewson has worked in a wide variety of settings in the past, from open plan offices to his own private office in academia.

    However, lockdown has been his first "extended experience of isolated working" and he has found it harder to concentrate being in the same environment all the time.

  18. Bar closes because of 'irresponsible' customer

    Rock Salt Cafe Bar
    Image caption: All of Rock Salt's staff who were on duty are now awaiting coronavirus test results

    A bar owner has said his "heart went to my shoes" when he was told he would have to shut because an "irresponsible" drinker with Covid-19 had visited.

    Jason Brotherton said he closed the Rock Salt Cafe Bar in Stockport, north-west England, after being told a man who visited on Saturday had received a positive test result on Sunday morning.

    He said his staff were now waiting for test results.

    The nearby Moortop pub has also closed after being visited by the same man.

    Read the full story here.

  19. Four of London's biggest pantos postponed to 2021

    Gemma Sutton, Clive Rowe and Tameka Empson in Aladdin at the Hackney Empire in 2018

    Four of the biggest pantomimes in London will not go ahead this year because of continued uncertainty over when indoor performances can restart without social distancing.

    Hackney Empire, Lyric Hammersmith Theatre, Queen's Theatre Hornchurch and Theatre Royal Stratford East have all announced they are postponing their annual Christmas pantomime until 2021.

    Last year's shows were attended by more than 145,000 people in total and they usually employ 285 freelance artists, including writers, directors, designers, actors, technicians and stage management.

    The production process for such performances would normally have begun at the start of August. But the theatres have said that without a confirmed date from the government for when indoor performances can resume without social distancing to make the shows economically viable, they will have to postpone.

    The government has announced a £1.5bn support package for the arts industry - but last month the return of socially-distanced indoor performances in England was delayed because of a rise in coronavirus cases.

    A number of other pantomimes across the country, including at the Birmingham Hippodrome and the Blackpool Grand Theatre, have already been cancelled.

  20. Tourists and locals on holidaying in the UK

    BBC Radio 5 Live

    Rod and Helen

    BBC Radio 5 Live's Your Call programme asked listeners whether holidaying at home is good for the UK, as people head to traditional British tourist spots. In some places, local residents have complained about littering and poor social distancing.

    Rod and Helen Chatfield run the Varley House guest house in Ilfracombe. They have brought in extra measures to make sure they are able to offer eight rooms to guests.

    Rod told 5 Live that it’s meant a lot more work, including offering table service, but said they are getting plenty of bookings.

    “It is definitely more of a thing for us, but I think the guests what we’re doing and are very receptive to what we’re doing.”

    Rod chairs Ilfracombe’s District Tourism Association and says businesses are adapting.

    “There is a pub in this town here which only opens until 16:00 because [the landlord] is worried about social distancing within his property."

    Jason is on holiday in Newquay. He said he and his wife are “astonished” by the lack of space people are giving and how people are “blatantly ignoring” one-way systems on beaches.

    “I’m seeing lots of people take their mess away from the beaches… but still we’re seeing people walking through towns… Padstow for example, lovely place to visit, absolutely rammed. Any chance of social distancing? Not a chance.”

    Click here to listen back to the programme on BBC Sounds.