We're pausing our coverage for today, but our teams in the UK and abroad will be back with more coronavirus news early on Saturday. Here's a reminder of Friday's biggest international stories:
- Cases have increased across the US, as the country prepares to celebrate Independence Day on Saturday. The US recorded its highest number of infections on a single day on Thursday, with states including Florida and North Carolina also reporting record case numbers
- The US surgeon general has urged people to wear face masks during the holiday, but President Donald Trump is due to attend a celebration at Mount Rushmore National Memorial with up to 7,500 people on Friday where social distancing won't be enforced and face coverings are optional
- India has reported more than 20,000 new cases in a single day for the first time since the outbreak began and could overtake Russia in the coming days to become the third-most affected country
- Palestinian authorities have reimposed a full lockdown in the West Bank after a rise in cases, while cases in Israel have reached their highest peak since April
- Restrictions have also been reintroduced in the Serbian capital Belgrade after infections rose
- The EU has approved the use of the anti-viral drug remdesivir. Earlier this week, the US announced it had secured the vast majority of the drug's supply for the next three months
Today's coverage was brought to you by: Saira Asher, Andreas Illmer, Krutika Pathi, Yvette Tan, Jasmine Taylor-Coleman, Ashitha Nagesh, Victoria Bisset, Joseph Lee, Robin Levinson King, Lauren Turner, Verity Wilde and Jennifer Scott.