We're pausing our live coverage, but it won't be long before our colleagues in Asia take over from us in London.
Although some countries are easing their lockdowns, the pandemic is still growing at a fast rate globally. The World Health Organization has reported the biggest rise in new coronavirus infections in a single day.
The other top stories on Wednesday are:
- A super cyclone has made violent landfall in eastern India and Bangladesh, but coronavirus restrictions are making mass evacuations very difficult and hampering relief efforts
- From Thursday, it will be compulsory to wear a mask in Spain inside and outside where social distancing is not possible
- The World Bank warns 60m more people could be pushed into "extreme poverty"
- All 50 US states have now partially lifted lockdown, and guidelines on how to re-open have been released by the CDC
- Brazil's health ministry has approved two controversial anti-malarial drugs to treat Covid-19 despite a lack of evidence for their efficacy; the country has the fourth largest number of cases in the world
- Sweden will review its medical treatment in care homes, after it was revealed patients were not being given oxygen
- And, if you have a couple of minutes, watch this video looking at how Britain’s Jewish community has been disproportionately affected - it lost "beacon of light" 20-year-old Yechiel Yosef Rothschild last week
Our team of journalists based around the world and in different timezones write this live coverage.
Today they have been: Claudia Allen, Claire Heald, Joel Gunter, Patrick Jackson, David Walker, Georgina Rannard, Joshua Nevett, Tom Gerken, Yaroslav Lukov, Ben Collins, Emlyn Begley, Francis Keogh, Gavin Stamp, Joseph Lee, Paul Seddon, Robin Levinson-King, Aparna Alluri, Yvette Tan, Saira Asher, Andreas Illmer.
Thanks for reading!