Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Summary

  1. Updates for Wednesday 14 December 2016
  2. The commissioner who represents victims of the Troubles says they have been let down by politicians
  3. The police are continuing to question a 25-year-old man in connection with the death of a man in Coleraine
  4. Picture: Newcastle, County Down (by Mervyn Robb)

Live Reporting

By Fiona Murray and Sharon Ferguson

All times stated are UK

Get involved

  1. Good night

    That's it from BBC News NI Live on a dark and wet Wednesday. We'll be back from 07:00 tomorrow with more updates on news, sport, travel and weather.

    A number of you have been sending in pictures of the spectacular sunset this afternoon. We'll leave you with a selection from Coleraine, Londonderry and Ringsend. Good night. 

    Sunsets
  2. Ulster Unionist raises RHI scheme in parliament

    Ulster Unionist MP Danny Kinahan raised the issue of the Renewable Heating Incentive (RHI) scheme during Cabinet Office questions today.

    RHI

    "I was disappointed to receive the usual response from the Cabinet Office minister that it was inappropriate to comment on devolved matters," he said. "It's important that the scale of the Renewable Heat Incentive scandal is understood in Parliament."

  3. RHI: Attempt to blame Foster scurrilous, says Dodds

    DUP deputy leader Nigel Dodds has publicly supported Arlene Foster's handling of the Renewable Heat Incentive scheme

    Nigel Dodds

    Mr Dodds said there has been a quite scurrilous attempt to blame Arlene Foster for the RHI saga. He said a 2013 email from a 'whistleblower' raised "no concerns about RHI."

  4. Petrol bomb attack 'linked to drugs dispute'

    A petrol bomb attack on a flat in County Armagh is linked to a long-running dispute over drugs, the High Court heard today. 

    High Court

    Prosecutors said the victim had already been targeted up to four times before masked men launched the device at his home in Tandragee last week. Details emerged as one of three men accused of the attack was granted bail.  

  5. Trade body calls for bus lanes to be scrapped

    Belfast Chamber of Trade and Commerce has called for bus lanes to be scrapped in certain areas of the city.

    Bus lane

    They proposed to remove the "non-Belfast Rapid Transit system (BRT) related bus lanes as an experiment." Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard said he would meet anybody who can show bus lanes were bad for business.

  6. Budget announcement put back

    The executive has postponed the presentation of its 2017/18 budget until early in the new year. 

    Máirtín Ó Muilleoir

    Finance Minister Máirtín Ó Muilleoir had been expected to bring the budget to the assembly on Monday. However, he told the BBC "we haven't made enough progress to bring the budget to the assembly".  

  7. Eastwood calls on SF to back Foster motion

    View more on twitter

    "I am calling on Sinn Féin to support our stance and sign up to these motions which will begin to restore confidence in politics here," he said. 

  8. Coleraine death no longer suspicious

    Police say they are no longer treating the death of a 56-year-old man in Silverthorn Avenue, Coleraine, as suspicious.

    Coleraine death

    However, a 25-year-old man arrested after the death on Tuesday remains in custody "in relation to an earlier incident".

  9. SDLP to table Foster no confidence motion

    SDLP leader Colum Eastwood says the party will table a Motion of No Confidence to exclude Arlene Foster as first minister while questions remain about her handling of the Renewable Heat Incentive scheme.  

    Colum Eastwood

    "In light of the first minister's continued failure to answer the most serious questions about the biggest public finance scandal in the history of devolution, it's clear that the matter has to be forced," he said. 

  10. Ballymurphy families can seek judicial review

    The families of 10 people shot dead by soldiers in west Belfast 45 years ago have won High Court permission to challenge the withholding of funding for inquests into the deaths. 

    Ballymurphy families

    Lawyers for the Ballymurphy families were granted leave to seek a judicial review against the NI Executive and the British government.