- Our live coverage has now ended
- Live updates on Tuesday 7 February 2017
BBC Live reporter
Thanks for joining us for our live coverage of the county council budget meeting.
Here's a quick recap of today's events:
- Council tax payers in Surrey will have to pay 4.99% more this year
- But plans for a 15% rise were scrapped at the eleventh hour
- Council leader David Hodge had proposed the 15% hike to deal with the rising cost of social care
- The Conservative-led council said government cuts were to blame for its planned increase
- The Liberal Democrats described the process as a "disaster" and "shambolic"
- The Residents' Association group suggested the alternative budget would lead to cuts in services, such as libraries
And you can see David Hodge answering questions from journalists straight after the meeting by heading over to our Facebook page.
Councillor Ian Beardsmore shares his views with the chamber.
Staines councillor Denise Saliagopoulos urges the council to follow Oxford's lead.
The Lib Dem councillor Will Forster now addresses the chamber with his response.
Councillor Steve Cosser accuses opposition of failing to offer solutions.
Councillor Jonathan Essex says he won't support the alternative budget.
Councillor Evans accuses council leader David Hodge of 'dodging the question'.
Councillor Helena Windsor accuses the Conservatives of "bottling" the referendum.
Lib Dem leader Hazel Watson criticises the council's leader and claims the change is about saving seats at elections.
Councillor Nick Harrison tells the chamber there will need to be a review of staff numbers.
and the discussions are ongoing.
Our political reporter Jack Fiehn explains the latest developments.
The new option will now be discussed by councillors.
BBC Live reporter
It was a bumpy start to the Surrey County Council meeting this morning.
Bill got in touch with us to vent his frustration.
Email Message: Two delays, over an hour of councillors' time wasted. It demonstrates the poor efficiency of this administration that requires additional funding for inefficiency. What a farce.from Bill Markey