Live updates from Merseyside and west Cheshire have finished for the day, but we'll be back from 08:00 on Thursday with more of the latest news, sport, weather and travel updates.
- More news, sport, weather and travel updates from 08:00 on Thursday
Outbreaks of light rain and low cloud will slowly move south-eastwards through the night to affect most areas by dawn. Winds will remain light and it will stay mild. Lows of 8C
Chester Fire Station could be knocked down to make way for student housing.Copyright: Google
- A worker has been injured after masked robbers broke into a restaurant in South Liverpool last night
- A bagpiper accused of fraudulently collecting for a Hillsborough charity has denied "trying to pull the wool" over people who gave him money
- Liverpool students have been providing the city's homeless with clothes and supplies in an open day at the Alima Centre
A bagpiper accused of fraudulently collecting for Hillsborough families has denied 'trying to pull the wool' over people who gave him money.
Angus Carpenter, 60, is accused of using a Justice for the 96 banner to give the impression he was collecting for charity while busking in April last year.
He told Liverpool Crown Court that the Justice for the 96 banner was only ever intended to be a tribute to the victims of Hillsborough.
When asked by his barrister: "Were you trying to pull the wool?" Mr Carpenter said: "No. Never."
Asked why his collecting bucket had a cover similar to a charity collection bucket he insisted it was to stop people taking his money.
Mr Carpenter denies trying to deceive anyone.
Tranmere Rovers striker James Norwood has agreed a new two-and-a-half year deal with the National League side.Copyright: Rex Features
The 26-year-old was out of contract at the end of the season but his new deal ties him to the club until 2019.
Rough sleepers in Liverpool are being welcomed into the Alima Centre in Liverpool today where apprentices from Mode Training are offering free haircuts, hot food and a festive performance.
There are delays of up to one hour on Virgin Trains West Coast between Rhyl and Chester due to a safety inspection of the track between Prestatyn and Flint.
Everton manager Ronald Koeman mocks Arsene Wenger for questioning referee Mark Clattenburg's decision-making after the Toffees beat Arsenal 2-1.
Brighter afternoon, dry with some sunny spells. Highs of 11C.Copyright: BBC
BBC Radio 4
The MP for Wirral South is urging the government to put pressure on Russia over the crisis in Syria - as thousands of civilians remain trapped in Aleppo.
Alison McGovern, the Labour chair of the all party parliamentary group on Syria, says the government "isn't doing enough" to prevent the situation getting worse.
Runcorn and Widnes World
A man has been jailed for nine years for committing hundreds of sexual assaults against a girl in Widnes who was aged as young as seven during years of abuse.
- A bagpipe player, accused of falsely collecting money for Hillsborough victims, is appearing in court in Liverpool
- A five-year-old girl remains in hospital with serious injuries after being attacked by a family dog in Liverpool
- Transport bosses on Merseyside are urging people who use the Wirral loopline to have alternative travel plans in place, ahead of essential track works which start in January
This is the River Dee this morning - taken buy our Cheshire reporter Phil McCann.
It is a particularly high tide today which mean the weir next to the Old Dee Bridge is underwater - this only happens a few times each year.Copyright: BBCCopyright: BBC
Everton manager Ronald Koeman mocked Arsene Wenger for questioning referee Mark Clattenburg's decision-making after the Toffees beat Arsenal 2-1.Copyright: Rex Features
Gunners boss Wenger felt a corner was incorrectly awarded in the lead-up to Ashley Williams' winner.
Koeman said: "I'm not surprised because it's the third [home game] in a row I won against Arsenal and three times in a row it was about the referee.
"I'm sorry Arsenal, we won through the referee," added the Dutchman.
A bagpipe player, accused of falsely collecting money for Hillsborough victims, is appearing in court in Liverpool.
Angus Carpenter, 60, is accused of wearing a military uniform and using a banner for the 96 to pose as a charity collector in April last year.
He denies three counts of fraud - the trial is expected to last two days.
Skelmersdale can become “the heart of the Northern Powerhouse” West Lancashire Borough Council leader Ian Moran says as he reveals his ambition for the town.
Students at a training college in Liverpool are putting their skills to use today to help the city's homeless.Copyright: BBC
Rough sleepers will be picked up and taken to the Alima Centre - where they can get haircuts, hot food and see a festive performance by apprentices from Mode Training.
The scrutiny on Everton boss Ronald Koeman had increased during a run of just one win in the 10 Premier League games prior to Arsenal's visit.
He says Everton showed "unbelievable spirit" as they came from a goal down to beat Arsenal 2-1 at Goodison Park.
- Police are looking for five men who forced their way into a house in Liverpool, armed with a shotgun and iron bar
- The Managing Director of Merseyrail is asking commuters who use the Wirral loopline to continue to use public transport when essential track works begin in January
- Liverpool will assess the fitness of Dejan Lovren ahead of tonight's game at Middlesbrough