Live updates from Merseyside and west Cheshire have finished for the day, but we'll be back from 08:00 on Friday with the latest news, sport, weather and travel from across the region.
- Updates on Thursday 28 July
- More news, sport, weather and travel updates from 08:00 on Friday 29 July
Northern parts will be cloudy with rain or drizzle this evening. Elsewhere, we should see bright spells with isolated showers, but clouding over with drizzle overnight.
Presenter, BBC North West Tonight
On tonight's programme we'll bring you more on the three hopefuls bidding to represent Labour in the Liverpool City Region mayoral contest, as they go head to head in a hustings later.Copyright: BBC
A member of the cabinet at Sefton Council has defended the authority after a recent meeting lasted less than a minute.Copyright: Sue Adair/Geograph
Councillors took just 48 seconds to approve the £2.9m Southport Town Centre Heritage Lottery bid, and the Sefton borough sports field strategy.
The Liberal Democrats have called for "more transparency", but Paul Cummins, cabinet member for adult social services, said opposition councillors had plenty of opportunity to voice concerns before the plans were rubber-stamped.
More than 200 films and TV projects used Merseyside as their background, last year, making 2015 a record breaking year.
- South Yorkshire's Police and Crime Commissioner confirms outgoing Chief Constable David Crompton will not be sacked after being suspended following the Hillsborough inquests
- A member of the cabinet at Sefton Council defends the authority after a recent meeting lasted less than a minute
- A 66-year-old man is recovering after being stabbed in Wirral
A 66-year-old man has been taken to hospital after he was stabbed in Wallasey.Copyright: Google
The victim was found with a knife wound to his abdomen in Crosfield Road last night, Merseyside Police said.
His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.
A tattooist who bungled a tribute to the Hillsborough victims has said his “head was not in the right place”.
Very slow traffic on M6 southbound between J19, A556 (Knutsford) and J18, A54 (Middlewich) due to an accident.
Congestion to J20, M56 (Lymm Interchange).
- South Yorkshire's Police and Crime Commissioner confirms out-going Chief Constable David Crompton will not be sacked
- A pensioner is recovering after being stabbed in his Wirral home
- Police discover a cannabis farm with an estimated street value of £2m per year at a Liverpool property
A cannabis farm with an estimated street value of £2m a year has been found by police in Tuebrook.
Officers found nearly 500 plants after being called to a property on Knoclaid Road following a report of suspicious behaviour.
Liverpool’s waterfront dazzled at its best yesterday as two luxury cruise liners docked in the city.
The Europa 2 is the latest ship to arrive, with a relatively small 500 guests on board.
Labour's Liverpool City Region Mayoral candidates will debate in public again in Huyton tonight. It's the latest in a series of hustings for Labour Party members.
The three candidates, Joe Anderson, Luciana Berger MP and Steve Rotheram MP will present their vision for the area and take questions to help party members choose their candidate for May's election.
Calls have been made for South Yorkshire Police's chief constable to be fired after it emerged he was not facing dismissal for misconduct.Copyright: PA
David Crompton was suspended after the Hillsborough Inquests due to "eroding trust and confidence" in the force.
Police and Crime Commissioner Dr Alan Billings said Mr Crompton would be required to either retire or resign.
But Liberal Democrat peer Lord Scriven said he should be sacked and accused the PCC of lacking "backbone".
Rain will ease through the afternoon, but persist in the north. However, drier and brighter conditions likely developing in the south with isolated heavy, possibly thundery, showers later.
The Liverpool Pilotage Service has been guiding ships in the River Mersey for 250 years, working in all sorts of dangerous conditions.
Captain Chris Booker explains their fascinating work and the pride the pilots feel at being awarded the Freedom of the City today.
Three buses will be turning heads in Liverpool after being given an eye-catching new look.Copyright: HMG Paints
The Arriva double decker city buses have been re-designed by artists for Liverpool Biennial - the largest festival of contemporary art in the UK - which is running until 16 October.
One of the buses, called “Hello Future Me” and also known as the “Space Bus,” has been designed by Year 7 pupils from Childwall Sports & Science Academy.
A hero leapt into a Chester canal to rescue a woman who had jumped in shouting "I don’t want to go back to prison".
Two boys had their bikes stolen after being attacked by teenagers wearing balaclavas outside an Aigburth chip shop.
- South Yorkshire's Police and Crime Commissioner confirm out-going Chief Constable David Crompton won't be sacked
- Liberal Democrats in Sefton accuse the council's cabinet of a lack of transparency after its most recent meeting apparently lasted 48 seconds
- Liverpool confirm they'll be playing their reserve matches at Tranmere Rovers this season