Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Live Reporting

Thomas Mackintosh, Sarah Lee and Claire Timms

All times stated are UK

  1. Goodbye

    Claire Timms

    Editor, BBC London Online

    Jodie Chesney

    That concludes our live coverage of the Jodie Chesney murder trial.

    BBC London online reporters Thomas Mackintosh and Sarah Lee sat through more than eight weeks of evidence to bring you daily coverage of the proceedings from the Old Bailey.

    Further reading: Stabbed in the back and left to die

    Watch: Justice for Jodie: Searching for the killers

  2. This was some justice, says Jodie's uncle

    Speaking on behalf of Jodie's family, her uncle Terry Chesney thanked the police for their work.

    He said: "Everyone involved from start to end has been amazing."

    Asked if the family would be able to move on following the sentences, Mr Chesney said: "We try."

    "She will never be back but this was some justice," he added.

    Mr Chesney explained that Jodie's father, who was not present at court, had been informed of the sentences and was "very happy".

  3. Chesney family 'have been through a great ordeal'

    Speaking outside the Old Bailey following the sentencing hearing, detective chief inspector Dave Whellams, from the Metropolitan Police, said the force was "pleased and proud of these convictions".

    He paid tribute to Jodie's family who he said had been through a "great ordeal" and expressed hope they would now be able to find "some form of closure".

    Surrounded by Jodie's family members, Det Insp Perry Benton said the "moving" statements read in court had left "a lot of people in tears".

  4. 'Cowards' have 'ripped apart a family'

    Cath Carrie, of the Crown Prosecution Service, said: "The court heard today how the cowardly actions of these two men have ripped apart a family and a community.

    "Jodie was a talented, caring and much-loved teenager and had gone to the park that night to spend time with friends. Her life was cruelly taken away as a result of a senseless dispute linked to the drug-dealing activities of these individuals."

  5. Judge: A blameless girl is dead

    Lifting reporting restrictions on Isaacs' identity, Judge Wendy Joseph said: "What is important is that a blameless girl is dead at the hands of those engaged in and those that associate with drug dealing on the streets which Jodie and other blameless young people must live.

    "This death has brought great unease in the community. Those suffering, which spreads much further than Jodie's friends and family, need and have a right to known and understand how this has come about."

  6. Met releases image of Arron Isaacs

    Svenson Ong-a-Kwie (left) and Arron Isaacs
    Image caption: Svenson Ong-a-Kwie (left) and Arron Isaacs

    The Met Police have just released an image of 17-year-old Arron Isaacs who, along with Svenson Ong-a-Kwi, 19, has received a life sentence for murdering Jodie Chesney, 17.

    The BBC applied for a section 45 order to be lifted by Judge Wendy Joseph QC allowing the media to name the juvenile.

  7. Who is Arron Isaacs?

    Arron Isaacs was born on 27 January 2002. He is now - and was at the time of Jodie Chesney’s murder - 17 years old.

    In March of this year Arron was living in a flat in Barking, east London, with his mother and his brother.

    Arron was arrested on 11 March along with his co-killer Svenson Ong-a-Kwie at an address on Rogers Road, Dagenham.

    Both tried to flee from police and Arron ended up having to be talked down from a tree.

    While running he threw away a rucksack - containing a knife, two toothbrushes and some hair mousse.

    Arron was initially arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender and was released on police bail. He was re-arrested on 22 March, this time on the suspicion of Jodie’s murder.

    He was found asleep on the living room floor. After being interviewed Arron again was released on bail. It was not until 20 May that detectives decided to charge Arron with Jodie’s murder - but he did not sign on at Barking police station and he was not found at his home address.

    On 25 May Arron was found by police in Acklington Drive, Colindale - who by this time had shaved his head.

    He was formally charged the next day and remanded into Feltham Young Offenders Institute.

  8. BreakingTeenage killer can now be named as Arron Isaacs

    Thomas Mackintosh

    BBC London News

    Judge Wendy Joseph QC has removed the Section 45 order on the 17-year-old defendant and he can now be named as Arron Isaacs.

  9. Who is Svenson Ong-a-Kwie?

    Svenson Ong-a-Kwie

    Born on 29 March 2000, Svenson Ong-a-Kwie then spent most of his life growing up in the east London area of Harold Hill.

    At the time of Jodie Chesney’s murder Ong-a-Kwie was aged 18 and he is now 19 years old.

    He was brought up by his mother in Harold Hill - not too far from the park where Jodie was murdered.

    Ong-a-Kwie has four sisters and in 2015 he met his father, from Belgium, who had been absent in his life while he was growing up. He lived with his father for a bit, but returned to London.

    Ong-a-Kwie was kicked out of his home by his mother “for being disrespectful” and since some time in 2017 he had been living in a hostel in Collier Row which is owned and managed by Romford Social Services.

    He told jurors he was a keen boxer and had plans to ditch his drug dealing ways to become a professional athlete.

    The teenager has previous convictions for dealing Class A drugs and for possessing a knife.

  10. Defendants led down to cells

    Thomas Mackintosh

    BBC London News

    Judge Wendy Joseph QC is about to hear the BBC's application to lift the Section 45 order on the 17-year-old boy.

    Before that, she asks for both the defendant and Svenson Ong-a-Kwie to be sent down.

  11. Teenager's family walk out of court

    Sarah Lee

    BBC London

    As the sentence was read out for the 17-year-old killer, his brother and mother could be seen walking out of the public gallery.

    The brother appeared to give a salute gesture towards the 17-year-old.

  12. BreakingTeenager also detained for life

    The 17-year-old boy has been detained for life and Judge Wendy Joseph QC has set a minimum term of 18 years minus the days he has served on remand.

  13. BreakingSvenson Ong-a-Kwie jailed for life

    Judge Wendy Joseph QC has jailed Svenson Ong-a-Kwie for life and he must serve a minimum of 26 years in prison - minus the time he has spent on remand.

  14. 'Teen had a very sad and hard start in life'

    Thomas Mackintosh

    BBC London News

    Making reference to the arrest of the 17-year-old boy, Judge Wendy Joseph QC said he had not learned from the fatal attack of 1 March.

    This is because when he was arrested, a knife was found in a rucksack the teenager threw when police tried to detain him.

    Judge Joseph said the teenager had a "very sad and hard start in life".

    She added: "But at the end of the day he must take responsibility for his actions."

  15. 'Tit-for-tat attacks with increasing ferocity'

    Thomas Mackintosh

    BBC London News

    The relevant law and sentencing guidelines have been read out by Judge Wendy Joseph QC.

    She said she was satisfied the attack on Jodie Chesney "was part of a series of tit-for-tat attacks increasing in ferocity who have carved up areas of this capital city into turf".

    "Although the target was not Jodie," Judge Joseph added, "there was a degree of planning.

    "I am satisfied both defendants were prepared to carry out their attack.

    "Svenson has a significant history of drug dealing, however, in this case there is no history of violence.

    "When that knife was driven into Jodie, that intention was to kill."

  16. 'Both have shifted the blame and shown no remorse'

    Sarah Lee

    BBC London

    Jodie Chesney and Lucy Chesney with their nan

    Judge Wendy Joseph QC described Jodie Chesney as "a bright warm and loving girl who could have given so much to many".

    She added: "All of that was taken away by callous and casual violence.

    "Those present at the scene will have to live with that for a very long time.

    "Above all, those who loved Jodie, will never get over her death.

    "'There are no words' is what her father said.

    "Jodie is dead forever and I sympathise with the members of her family who have sat through this trial where the defendants have shifted the blame between them both and have shown no remorse."

  17. Judge 'satisfied' Ong-a-Kwie was the stabber

    amy's park

    Both Svenson Ong-a-Kwie and the 17-year-old boy knew a weapon was being carried and it would be used, Judge Wendy Joseph QC told the court.

    She said Jodie Chesney's murder was a "planned attack" and they "mistook their target".

    Reflecting on the facts which have been presented in the case Judge Joseph said she is "satisfied" that Ong-a-Kwie was the stabber.

    She added: "The teenager was a willing supporter who got as close to the scene as he could get."

  18. 'Jodie screamed until she could scream no more'

    Sarah Lee

    BBC London

    amy's park

    Judge Wendy Joseph QC continued to speak about what happened on the night Jodie Chesney was stabbed.

    She said: "What matters is that they left the area, and prepared to attack and that is exactly what they did.

    "They came back to the park in the car of Manuel Petrovic.

    "He was asked to help because Ong-a-Kwie trusted him.

    "I reject that Svenson went back to his hostel to pick up two small bags on cannabis.

    "One of you plunged a knife into Jodie's back.

    "Jodie screamed until she could scream no more. Svenson burnt his clothes that night and the teenager disposed of his too."

  19. 'Jodie Chesney was not mistaken for rival drug dealer called Jade'

    Amys Park

    Judge Wendy Joseph QC began by saying Jodie Chesney was 17 years old when Svenson Ong-a-Kwie and the 17-year-old murdered her.

    She added the death has caused "loss, grief and anguish" to her family.

    Judge Joseph said: "Facts have emerged that Svenson Ong-a-Kwie was a well-established drug dealer in Harold Hill and Collier Row areas of east London dealing in cannabis and cocaine.

    "The 17-year-old was his young associate and close companion."

    Judge Joseph said she "entirely rejected" the suggestion Jodie was mistaken for a rival drug dealer called Jade.

    "The killing is far more sinister and dangerous than that," she added

  20. Judge back into court

    Judge Wendy Joseph QC has returned to court and she has started her sentencing remarks.

    She said it will take her "a little while" to go through everything.