Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Summary

  1. Updates on Thursday 14 February

Live Reporting

All times stated are UK

Get involved

  1. Goodbye

    BBC London News

    Updates for London have ended for the day but we'll be back on Monday with the latest news, sport, travel and weather.

    Have a great weekend.

  2. Activists demand justice for Grenfell victims at London Fashion Week

    Justice for Grenfell

    Activists lined the catwalk at the start of London Fashion Week to call for justice for victims of the Grenfell Tower fire.

    Bereaved family members and people from the west London community were joined in central London by musician Emeli Sande, and models Adwoa Aboah and Clara Paget, 20 months after the 2017 fire.

    Seventy-two models, representing those who died in the tower block blaze, wore t-shirts which asked: "72 dead and still no arrests? How come?"

    The t-shirt was designed by local community members to "serve as a reminder of why we continue to campaign as a community."

  3. Mayor announces £24m 'to accelerate' electric cabs

    The new electric TX eCity taxi

    An extra £24m has been announced "to accelerate" the conversion of London's black cabs to electric vehicles.

    Under the plans an extra 1,000 drivers will be able to access £10,000 subsidy to trade their older vehicles in for new electric cabs.

    Black cabs are exempt from the Ultra Low Emission Zone, but they cause 20% of road transport emissions in central London.

    TfL’s proposals aim to reduce taxi-based Nitrous Oxide emissions by 65% by 2025.

    The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: “Working with cabbies to reduce the number of polluting taxis is a key part of our plans to improve London’s air quality.

    Other plans include ending licences for taxis beyond their 15th anniversary, leading to a phased reduction in the age limit for the most polluting taxis to 12 years by 2022.

  4. Enfield Council 'dictators' jibe over bin collection cut

    Local Democracy Reporting Service

    Enfield Council has been accused of acting like a dictatorship over a decision to cut bin collections in the face of public opposition.

    The council’s Conservative group leader Cllr Joanne Laban urged the Labour administration to “respect the will of the people” after two-thirds of those who were consulted said they wanted to keep weekly collections.

    The consultation – which drew the biggest response in Enfield’s history – showed just 9% of more than 5,500 respondents backed the proposals favoured by council officers to move to fortnightly collections for refuse and recycling.

    But senior councillors this week gave the green light to cutting bin rounds after a lengthy debate with council officers over why the changes had been recommended.

    Cllr Laban said: “The Conservative Group is extremely disappointed that the Labour administration has recommended to change the wheeled bin service to fortnightly collection for refuse and dry recycling.

    “There were many options to choose from in the consultation, but the administration has chosen the one that least reflected people’s views.

    “The Labour administration in this regard is acting more like a dictatorship than a democratic institution.”

    Labour councillors argue that failing to save money from waste collections would mean having to make cuts to areas such as adults’ and children’s social care, as local government continues to bear the brunt of austerity measures.

  5. Construction firm fined £500k over fatal fall

    A construction company has been fined half a million pounds after a worker fell to his death at one of its sites.

    Rydon Construction Limited initially denied contravening health and safety regulations after Vasile Nichitut fell 14 metres (46ft) and died in 2015.

    But the firm, part of the Rydon Group, changed its plea to guilty on the third day of a trial.

    Mr Nichitut died on 24 July 2015 after the collapse of a stairwell platform on the fifth floor of an under-construction high rise at Green Man Lane estate in Singapore Road in Ealing.

    He had been employed by Oliver Connell and Son Limited to work on the site, and the main contractor was Rydon Construction Limited.

    Sentencing the firms at Southwark Crown Court on Friday, His Honour Judge Jeffrey Pegden said Rydon Construction Limited had been "the principal contractor on site with overall responsibility for ensuring the health and safety of those working there".

    He said while the precise cause of the platform collapse had not been identified, the prosecution on behalf of the Health and Safety Executive had argued "that the collapse of the platform is evidence that workers on site, including Mr Nichitut, were exposed to risks to their health and safety".

    Rydon Construction Limited pleaded guilty to contravening health and safety regulations under regulation 13(1) of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015.

    The company was fined £500,000 and ordered to pay costs of £40,740.88.

    In fining them, Judge Pegden said he took into account that they are a large organisation with a turnover of £123 million to the year ending September 2018.

    Oliver Connell and Son Ltd had pleaded guilty to contravening a prohibition notice under regulation 4(1) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005.

    They were fined £360,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,834.08.

  6. Tower of London walkout suspended

    Planned strikes by staff at the Historic Royal Palaces in a dispute over pensions have been suspended. Members of the GMB union at sites including the Tower of London were due to walk out tomorrow and next Thursday.

    The union said that following talks, the industrial action has been suspended to allow members to vote on a new and improved offer.

  7. Video content

    Video caption: The art cafe helping London's homeless

    A cafe in London is helping the homeless become profitable artists.

  8. Made In Chelsea star: Being an influencer made me 'a puppet'

    BBC Newsbeat

    Andy Jordan

    Andy Jordan didn't even have an Instagram account before he started on Made in Chelsea in 2012.

    "Overnight, there were hundreds of thousands of people watching what I was doing," he says about appearing on the show.

    He's now got 290,000 followers.

    "You're like, 'Everyone wants to follow me and talk to me' - that's almost like a drug," he tells the Victoria Derbyshire programme and Panorama.

    Andy was struggling. His TV persona and pushing out a constantly filtered life on Instagram were already taking their toll.

    Selling things he didn't believe in was the last straw.

    He says he got to the point where he "just turned into a ghost... I didn't even care if I got hit by a bus".

    Find out more here.