Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Summary

  1. Woman guilty of 999 call murder
  2. Charity fraudster escapes jail after pocketing £5,000
  3. Corfe Mullen WW2 bomb blown up by RAF
  4. Duchess of Cornwall to open refurbished children's cancer ward in Southampton
  5. Saints face Sparta Prague in Europa League
  6. Updates from Thursday 24 November

Live Reporting

By Stephen Stafford

All times stated are UK

Get involved

Southampton players react after falling behind to Sparta Prague

Neil Johnston

BBC Sport

Southampton's Europa League fate will go down to the final group game after losing away to Sparta Prague.

Read more

That's all for today

BBC Local Live for Hampshire and Dorset returns tomorrow at 08.00. We hope to see you then.    

Bank fraudster targeted 'vulnerable' customers

We told you yesterday how a former Santander bank employee was jailed for stealing more than £50,000 by targeting some of the bank's "most vulnerable customers".

Natasha Bassi, 23, of Cobden Crescent, Southampton, was sentenced to two years.

Southampton Crown Court heard she had transferred the money into accounts of a man called Leroy who she had met in Leeds and had become "Smitten".

Police have released a statement about the case...

It would have been distressing for her victims when they discovered the money missing from their accounts. As well as risking the financial well-being of several vulnerable and elderly customers, her actions also had a detrimental effect on Santander.

Det Con Hannah EllisEcomonic Crime Unit, Hampshire Constabulary
Natasha Bassi
Hampshire Constabulary

Sparta Prague v Southampton: Saints team news

Injured Southampton captain Jose Fonte has not travelled with Claude Puel's 21-man squad for the Europa League match against Sparta Prague.

Midfielders Dusan Tadic, who broke his nose while on international duty, Harrison Reed plus winger Matt Targett are also out.

James Ward-Prowse
Getty Images

But midfielder James Ward-Prowse (pictured), who missed last weekend's draw against Liverpool, has recovered from injury.

Striker Charlie Austin, defender Ryan Bertrand and midfielder Steven Davis have also been included in the squad.

Titanic memorial plaque not stolen after all

A memorial plaque to victims of the Titanic disaster which was believed stolen from its plinth in a Southampton park has been found.

The British Titanic Society, which erected the plaque in the 1990s, believed it had been targeted by scrap metal thieves.

Now police investigating the theft have confirmed it was not stolen. 

The memorial
British Titanic Society

According to a spokeswoman the plaque was discovered by staff from Associated British Ports who saw it had fallen off its plinth onto the floor. 

They then "took it to safety" so that thieves would not find it. The British Titanic Society has since been notified and the plaque will be returned to them. 

Third car in 24 hours to crash into building

Southern England NHS frontline services to get £69m investment

Sarah Lee

South Online

Up to £69m will be invested in frontline NHS services in parts of southern England over the next four years, a report suggests.

A draft document proposes investments in North East Hampshire and Farnham, Surrey Heath and East Berkshire.

Nurse
BBC

Funds will go towards improving waiting times, self-care services and the creation of 14 new "health hubs" to provide weekend appointments.

An additional £11m will go towards improving mental health services.

Murder happened during 999 call

Deborah Napier, who has been found guilty of murdering her partner Jolyon Wray in Ryde, stabbed him in the back while a 999 operator was listening on the phone, a court heard.

Charles Gabb, prosecuting, said the call, made by Mrs Napier on 13 June, suddenly ended after two minutes of muffled noises and shouting.

When the operator called back, Mrs Napier said: "I think I've killed him".

She added: "I just got so fed up of him hitting me".

Murder victim's daughter had 'stabbing lesson'

The daughter of Ryde murder victim Jolyon Wray has told a court how she was asked to take part in a stabbing reenactment at school, following his death in June.

In a statement read at Winchester Crown Court, Violet Wray told how she fled a drama lesson which "acted out a stabbing scenario".

She said she had recurring nightmares about his murder and felt nervous about going out.

Mr Wray's partner, Deborah Napier, 53, has been found guilty of murdering him by plunging a 12.5cm (5 inch) steak knife into his back at his flat in East Hill Road.

Deborah Napier
Hampshire Constabulary

Czech cuisine ahead of Europa League clash

Pre-match meal for BBC Radio Solent's commentator Adam Blackmore.

If you are in Hampshire, Dorset and the Isle of Wight you can listen to Adam's commentary of Sparta Prague v Southampton on 96.1FM from 18:00GMT. Or you can follow the action on BBC Sport.

View more on twitter

Investigating officer in Jolyon Wray murder case hopes result will bring family "closure"

Deborah and Jolyon clearly had a troubled relationship, which, following a vicious attack, resulted in the tragic loss of Jolyon’s life. Despite it being clear from the outset who was responsible for Jolyon’s death, and that Deborah Napier had already pleaded guilty to manslaughter at the beginning of the trial, the investigation team worked hard to present evidence for the jury to consider murder. I hope today’s guilty verdict goes some way to giving Jolyon’s family closure and that they can now put the terrible events of this day behind them. I would like to thank them for their support and understanding throughout the investigation, especially Jolyon’s brother and sister who courageously gave evidence at the trial."

Detective Constable Luke DonovanInvestigating officer

In Pictures: Duchess of Cornwall visits Aldershot

Some more pictures of the Duchess of Cornwall on her visit to Normandy Barracks.

Duchess of Cornwall
BBC
Duchess of Cornwall
BBC
Duchess of Cornwall
BBC

'I always knew she was evil'

The 14-year-old daughter of Ryde stabbing victim Jolyon Wray has said she can "never forgive" his partner Deborah Napier, who has been found guilty of his murder.

In a statement read at Winchester Crown Court, Violet Wray recalled how she was told of the death of her father, who had cared for her until she was eight.

She said: "I was not really surprised. I never liked Deborah... I always knew she was evil.

"When I close my eyes I see Deborah stabbing dad, or stabbing me."

Deborah Napier

A woman is found guilty of murdering her partner while a 999 operator was listening on the phone.

Read more

'Sad' theft of Titanic memorial

Police are investigating the theft of a memorial plaque to victims of the Titanic disaster that has been taken from its base in a Southampton park

The plaque had been erected in 1993 at the entrance to Dock Gate Four, near the area where the liner departed on its fateful maiden voyage. It had recently been moved to the redeveloped Vokes Park.

The British Titanic Society has pledged to fundraise to replace the plaque.

RMS Titanic
AP

It is sad for a Titanic memorial to be destroyed, particularly in Southampton. It marks the importance of the port and the docks' role in the Titanic story.

Dr Rudi NewmanBritish Titanic Society

Isle of Wight murderer to be sentenced tomorrow

Deborah Napier will be sentenced tomorrow for murdering her partner Jolyon Wray.

Winchester Crown Court heard how the pair had a violent three-year relationship, "blighted by alcohol".

Napier, of Amazon Close, Basingstoke, said 10 minutes before Mr Wray died, he had woken her up by shouting and swearing and calling her a "lazy cow".

She said he dragged her from the bedroom into the lounge, hitting her across the face with a boot before she saw him reach down to pick up what she assumed to be another weapon.

Her next clear memory was Mr Wray "gasping and sitting back", she said.

"I knew I had done something really bad," she told the jury. "He didn't move, he wasn't talking."

BreakingWoman guilty of 999 call murder

A woman has been found guilty of murdering her partner while a 999 operator was listening on the phone.

Deborah Napier stabbed Jolyon Wray in the back during a drunken row at his flat in Ryde, Isle of Wight, in June.

She told Winchester Crown Court she phoned the police after being hit in the face with a walking boot, but then stabbed Mr Wray, 46, because she "didn't want to be hurt any more".

Mrs Napier, 53, admitted manslaughter but was found guilty of murder.

Jolyon Wray with his daughter Violet
Family photo
Jolyon Wray with his daughter Violet

Police appeal over man missing from Lymington

Duchess of Cornwall visits Aldershot

The Duchess of Cornwall has paid a visit to Normandy Barracks in Aldershot.

The duchess, in her capacity as Royal Colonel, 4th Battalion, The Rifles, met service personnel as well as family members of soldiers who have recently been deployed to Iraq.

The Duchess of Cornwall meeting service personnel at Normandy Barracks
BBC
The Duchess of Cornwall met service personnel at Normandy Barracks
Lydia Pengilly and family
BBC
Lydia Pengilly, whose husband is currently in Iraq, was among those who met the duchess, with her daughter Louise, 8, presenting a posy

Woman admits sexual offences against child

A Dorset woman has pleaded guilty to three sexual offences involving a child.

Suzanne King, 48, of Sandford, near Wareham, admitted taking and distributing indecent images and inciting the child to engage in sexual activity.

Sentencing at Winchester Crown Court was adjourned to 26 January.

Saints stroll before Sparta

Southampton players have a walk around Prague before their Europa League match later.

View more on twitter

Sport headlines: Saints in Europe

BBC Sport

  • Southampton face Sparta Pargue in the Europa League knowing a win would all but seal their place in the knock-out stages for the first time in their history
  • Bournemouth's on-loan midfielder Jack Wilshere has spoken of his frustration at having to have to sit out this weekend's game against his parent club Arsenal
  • Poole Pirates have announced that Krzysztof Kasprzak will return to Wimborne Road as their number one rider for 2017

Chancellor announces £1.6m for arts centre

The government has given £1.6m towards the cost of a new arts centre, due to open in Southampton next year.

Chancellor Philip Hammond announced the grant for Studio 144 in Wednesday's Autumn Statement.

Studio 144
Thierry Bal

The development in Guildhall Square will include a theatre and an art gallery.

Supporters, including Arts Council England and Southampton City Council, said the project would attract around 350,000 visitors a year and boost the city's annual income by about £21m.

Murder trial judge will accept majority verdict

The judge in the case of a Basingstoke woman who stabbed her partner to death at his flat in Ryde while a 999 operator was listening on the phone, has agreed to accept a majority verdict.

The jury at Winchester Crown Court has been deliberating for more than four hours.

Deborah Napier, 53, of Amazon Close, denies murdering Jolyon Wray in June, but has admitted a charge of manslaughter.

Jolyon Wray with his daughter Violet
Luke Wray
Jolyon Wray, pictured with his daughter, was stabbed in the back at his Isle of Wight flat in June

Corfe Mullen bomb: Village trending

It looks like there's been quite a bit of interest in this morning's detonation of a World War Two bomb in a quarry in Corfe Mullen.

"Corfe Mullen" was a trending topic on Twitter earlier - not something that happens every day.

Corfe Mullen trending
BBC

Corfe Mullen bomb: WW2 device 'not viable'

Some more information about the World War 2 ordnance that was destroyed by RAF bomb disposal experts at a quarry near Corfe Mullen this morning.

Dorset Police said it was a 5,000kg ordnance prototype and was not a viable explosive.

A rest centre was set up for residents in Sturminster Marshall and staff and pupils from Castle Court School were taken to another site ahead of the explosion.

Pedestrian dies on A33 at Kings Worthy

A 21-year-old pedestrian has died after being hit by a car on the A33 at Kings Worthy.

Police said the man, from Cheriton, was struck by a white Ford Kuga shortly before 17:30 yesterday.

He was taken to hospital in Southampton but died this morning. His next of kin have been informed.

The driver, a 45-year-old man from Chandler’s Ford, was uninjured.  

A33
Google

Watch: Charity fraudster refuses to answer reporters' questions

Fraudster Karolin Jones who stole up to £5,000 donated at charity events for a children's hospital ward refused to answer reporters' questions when she left court.

Jones, of Ordnance Way, Marchwood, was sentenced to 18 months, suspended for two years following a trial at Southampton Crown Court. 

She hosted fundraisers in aid of Southampton General Hospital, but suspicions were raised after she failed to disclose how much was raised.

Titanic Southampton docks memorial plaque stolen

A memorial plaque to victims of the Titanic disaster has been stolen from its base in a Southampton park. 

The British Titanic Society, which erected the plaque in the 1990s, said it was likely to have been targeted by scrap metal thieves.

Police said they were investigating a report of theft thought to have happened around 16 or 17 November.

Titanic memorial
British Titanic Society

Singing star to start festivities in Bournemouth tonight

Karolin Jones

A mum-of-three who stole up to £5,000 meant for a children's hospital ward has been branded "utterly despicable and mean".

Read more
Harry Arter

Harry Arter believes Bournemouth will feel no pressure against Arsenal, even without Jack Wilshere in their side.

Read more

Emily Wood brings you today's forecast

Weather for the South of England

Charity fraudster sentence 'no deterrent'

Karolin Jones had hosted a couple of fundraising events to make money. 

The first was held at Lloyd Recreation Ground in Marchwood, which is owned by the parish council.

Karolin Jones
Southern Daily Echo

The event was a family fun day which featured about 50 stalls, games for children, tombola and a raffle.

A local mum from the village, who did not wish to be named, said that it had been a great day and no one could have suspected what would happen. 

She said: "The main thing is that she has been found guilty. I just worry that the sentence won't deter others enough."

Charity fraud mum 'despicable'

A mother-of-three who stole up to £5,000 after hosting a family fun day to raise money for sick children at Southampton General Hospital has been described as "utterly despicable".

Karolin Jones was handed a suspended sentence after being found guilty of fraud.

The exact amount of money has never been determined as Jones did not donate any funds to the charity or tell people helping with the fun day how much was raised.

Sentencing, Judge Burrell QC said: "What you did in depriving the hospital of significant sums of money was utterly despicable and mean."

Fraudster had fundraising target of £50,000

Fraudster Karolin Jones kept money from a charity event she hosted to raise cash for the children’s ward at Southampton General Hospital.

The 29-year-old from Ordnance Way, Marchwood, organised the event at Lloyd Recreation Ground in Marchwood and had a target of raising £50,000 to pay for televisions and extra facilities for patients to use.

She was apparently inspired to host the event after spending a lot of time at the hospital with her son who suffers from “many conditions”, according to her fundraising page.

Southampton hospital
University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust

Jones was found guilty of two counts of fraud and one count of theft during her trial. She was cleared of another count of fraud.

BreakingCharity fraudster escapes jail after pocketing up to £5,000

A mum-of-three who pocketed up to £5,000 raised for a sick children's charity has avoided jail.

Karolin Jones was sentenced to 18 months, suspended for two years. She was also given a 12-month community order, must carry out 250 hours of work for the community and pay £300 to Southampton hospital.

The judge described her offences as "utterly despicable and mean".

Bomb disposal team

Homes, businesses and a school are evacuated and roads closed after a World War Two bomb was found in a quarry in Dorset

Read more