Live updates for Devon and Cornwall have finished for the day, but we'll be back at 08:00 on Tuesday with the latest news, sport, travel and weather.
- Updates on Friday 27 May 2016
- More news, sport, travel and weather from 08:00 on Tuesday
BBC NewsbeatCopyright: Getty Images
With Radio 1's Big weekend taking place in Exeter tomorrow, what do we need to know about this city?
- Exeter is home of Diagon Alley (maybe). Exeter is where JK Rowling went to university so there are a few places here which have inspired locations in Harry Potter.
- There are Coldplay links everywhere..."I was born and raised in Exeter so being part of Radio 1's Big Weekend this year means a huge amount to me personally," says Chris Martin.
- Chris Martin isn't the only famous Exeter boy. Tristan Evans drummer from The Vamps was brought up in Broadclyst where his drumming career started out.
- Randomly, Michael Jackson was once Exeter City FC's director. This is not a joke.
Back in January the BBC's 40 local radio stations - including Devon and Cornwall - joined up with the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) and called on amateur gardeners and garden designers to come up with a "Feel Good Front Garden".Copyright: Eden Project
The four winning designs were presented to the public at the Chelsea Flower Show earlier today and the designers, all students at the Eden Project, will now get to create a show garden at the RHS Hampton Court Palace Flower Show.
Jenny Booty from Lavendon, Lizz Dobinson from Exeter, Nicky Shellis from Portreath and Tim Walker from Snowdonia's garden 'Tre Wostiwedh', Cornish for 'home at last', is based on the idea of a Cornish miner coming up from the dark depths of the earth and stepping into an exotic garden full of colour and life.
BBC News Online
The A30 at Bodmin has reopened in both directions after a four-vehicle crash which left one person dead and injured several other people.
One lorry and a van overturned on the eastbound carriageway and the road was closed for more than six hours.
BBC Local LiveCopyright: Rex Features, Getty Images, Press Association, Christopher Lee, BBC
This weekend is unprecedented for South West sport. Saturday sees Exeter Chiefs looking to conquer the reigning Premiership and European rugby champions Saracens at Twickenham.
It's a high noon shoot out for the Cornwall County rugby team on Sunday. Having faced Lancashire over the past three years, this time they face Cheshire in their bid to keep the Bill Beaumont Cup.
Meanwhile more than 30,000 Plymouth Argyle fans will travel to Wembley for their play-off final against AFC Wimbledon on Monday. The number of supporters may grow even bigger as the club has 5,000 extra tickets that will be on sale until 16:00 on Saturday.
Delays on the A30 eastbound at Bodmin are easing after a severe crash which has left one dead and several people injured.
One lorry and a van overturned in the collision which also involved two cars. The road has been closed for more than six hours.
Police are appealing for witnesses and anyone who saw the incident is asked to contact the police.
Mevagissey could follow the example of St Ives in trying to put the brakes on the number of holiday homes in the village.
BBC News Online
- The A30 remains closed eastbound after a fatal crash which left one person dead, injured several and involved four vehicles.
- A newly-elected police and crime commissioner under investigation over election expenses can continue in her role, a panel has ruled.
- A controversial carving of Merlin in the rock face at Tintagel Castle has been damaged.
- There's a huge sporting weekend ahead as Exeter Chiefs, the Cornwall rugby team and Plymouth Argyle head to London for finals.
- Powderham Castle prepares to host 50,000 music fans for Radio 1's Big Weekend.
Cornwall are favourites to retain their County Championship title on Sunday, according to head coach Graham Dawe.Copyright: Getty Images
Cornwall are the reigning champions and will head to Twickenham for their fourth successive final, meeting Cheshire for the first time since 1998 - when the latter won 21-14.
"I'd imagine we'd be billed as favourites," Dawe told BBC Cornwall.
"We've got a bit of responsibility there and it'll be an even bigger disappointment if we don't win."
A multi-million pound holiday park could triple in size under new plans. The owners of Towan Valley eco-resort have applied to Cornwall Council to add 72 holiday homes on the 11-acre former caravan site at Porthtowan.
Thundery showers will gradually ease overnight to leave many parts dry. Some clear spells will develop, although patches of low cloud and mist are also possible. Minimum temperature: 10 Deg C (50 Deg F).Copyright: BBC
Tomorrow morning will start dry with low cloud or mist lifting to give some warm sunshine. However, there will be an increasing chance of more thundery showers breaking out later in the day. Feeling humid. Maximum temperature: 18 Deg C (64 Deg F).
BBC Radio Cornwall
The Cornwall rugby team have won the County Championship on four occasions, the first was in 1908 when they beat Durham 17-3 at Redruth Rugby Club and went on to play in the Olympic Games that same year.
It was a long wait until Cornwall’s next triumph – 83 years – when they beat Yorkshire at Twickenham in 1991. They won again in 1999 with a 25-15 victory over Gloucestershire.
2013, saw the start of three match finals against Lancashire. Cornwall lost the first two but won in 2015 by 18 points to 13. In this year’s final on Sunday they will attempt to win back to back trophies for the first time in their history.
BBC News Online
A newly-elected police and crime commissioner under investigation over election expenses can continue in her role, a panel has ruled.Copyright: BBC
Alison Hernandez faces allegations she failed to declare expenses as an election agent in Torbay in 2015, but told the panel she has done nothing wrong. Those allegations are also being reviewed by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
At an emergency meeting, the Devon and Cornwall Police and Crime Panel said it would continue to scrutinise the decisions made by Ms Hernandez. The panel also told her to stop making political statements. The recommendations say: "The panel notes that whilst the commissioner is subject to allegations she has not been charged with a criminal offence."
- On the A30 the Bodmin Bypass is closed eastbound between Carminow Cross and the Callywith turning due to investigation work following a fatal crash.
- On the A38 in both directions between Saltash and Trerulefoot there's busy traffic.
- Around Cruwys Morchard, in Devon, the B3137 is partially blocked due to a fallen tree.
- In Paignton, Hoyle's Road is partially blocked between Ramshill Road and Pines Road due to an incident.
BBC Local Live
Some of the biggest names in the music world will be performing at Powderham Castle this weekend for Radio 1's Big Weekend 2016.Copyright: BBC
Tickets for the two day festival were given away live on Radio 1 and online, with lucky winners paying just £8 to see acts like Coldplay and Ellie Goulding (pictured), Fetty Wap, Chvrches, Mumford & Sons and Jess Glynne.
A campaign to encourage people to take part in two-minute litter picks on beaches is spreading inland for the first time.Copyright: BBC
The two-minute beach clean was started by Martin Dorey from Bude, after fierce storms two years ago left beaches covered with debris and plastic. Now it's being carried out on parts of Dartmoor.
Police officers have renewed their appeal for missing June Gorvin who was last sighted near Levant Mine on Wednesday afternoon.