In Pictures

In pictures: Inside former Swiss army bunkers

Bunkers built to defend Switzerland in case of invasion during World War Two and the Cold War are being given new life as restaurants, data centres or storage depots.

Image copyright Arnd Wiegmann / Reuters
Image caption A machine-gun bunker, part of a former Swiss artillery fortress called Fuchsegg, is camouflaged as a stable, beside the Furka mountain-pass road near the village of Realp. Built in 1943, the fortress remained in military use until 1993.
Image copyright Arnd Wiegmann / Reuters
Image caption This former bunker on the St Gotthard mountain pass is now home to the Hotel La Claustra.
Image copyright Arnd Wiegmann / Reuters
Image caption The hotel's restaurant can be found in one of the caverns that formed the army bunker.
Image copyright Arnd Wiegmann / Reuters
Image caption The company Gotthard-Pilze produces some 24 tonnes of shiitake mushrooms per year in 11 former bunkers. Here, Alex Lussi picks one inside a former ammunition bunker near the town of Erstfeld.
Image copyright Arnd Wiegmann / Reuters
Image caption Shelves that once held ammunition racks now hold raclette cheeses.
Image copyright Arnd Wiegmann / Reuters
Image caption Built from 1937 to 1939, Reuenthal fortress, on the Swiss-German border near the rivers Rhine and Aare, remained in military use until 1988. Now, it is a museum.
Image copyright Arnd Wiegmann / Reuters
Image caption Another former-bunker-turned-museum is in the town of Faulensee. This artillery control was part of a fort that was operational from 1943 to 1993.
Image copyright Arnd Wiegmann / Reuters
Image caption A former infantry bunker is camouflaged as a medieval house in the town of Duggingen. During World War Two, Switzerland had about 8,000 bunkers and shelters. In the 1990s, a programme to reduce that number was set up, with some sold off and others sealed up or preserved as historical sites.
Image copyright Arnd Wiegmann / Reuters
Image caption This former control room has been preserved at a decommissioned military command bunker near Attinghausen.

Related Topics