Entertainment & Arts

Peaches Geldof: Police launch inquiry into drug supply

Peaches Geldof Image copyright PA
Image caption Geldof's body was found "slumped across the bed" by her husband, Thomas Cohen

Police have launched a criminal inquiry after it emerged that heroin was likely to have played a part in the death of Peaches Geldof.

Kent Police said there was an "ongoing investigation into the supply of drugs" in connection with her death.

The 25-year-old was found on 7 April by her husband, Thomas Cohen, in a spare bedroom in their home.

Police have said Mr Cohen is "not in any way under suspicion of involvement" in her death or the supply of drugs.

Toxicology tests showed Geldof had heroin in her system, an inquest heard on Thursday.

Det Ch Insp Paul Fotheringham, told the hearing: "Recent use of heroin and the levels identified were likely to have played a role in her death."

Kent Police confirmed that an investigation into the supply of drugs was under way but no arrests had been made.

Det Ch Insp Fotheringham later said: "Following recent speculation in the media, I would like to make it clear that Thomas Cohen is not in any way under suspicion of any involvement in Peaches Geldof-Cohen's death or our concurrent investigation into the supply of drugs. He has not been arrested or interviewed under caution and there is no plan to do so."

He added: "Inaccurate reports have also been made suggesting that no drugs paraphernalia was found at the address, with suggestions that the scene had been 'tampered' with prior to police arrival.

"While no detail will be provided around specific items, to prevent further speculation I will confirm that contrary to rumour in the media my officers did seize drugs paraphernalia from the address on 7 April. The coroner has authorised the disclosure of this information."

Image copyright AFP
Image caption Geldof was dropped from an underwear campaign in 2010 over drug allegations

Geldof's mother, TV presenter and writer Paula Yates, died from a heroin overdose at her London home, aged 41, in 2000.

At the inquest, Det Ch Insp Fotheringham described how Geldof's husband had tried to make contact with his wife before he found her body.

Mr Cohen, a musician, had been away for the weekend with the elder of their two sons, Astala, leaving Geldof at home with their 11-month old son, Phaedra.

This was their normal weekend arrangement, the officer explained, allowing Geldof to concentrate on her work as a columnist.

"It is believed that Peaches spent Saturday afternoon, into the evening, and Sunday morning at her home address alone," he told the inquest.

"Throughout this period she maintained telephone contact with family and friends, including contact with Thomas's mother to arrange a family activity, but this was cancelled.

"All of the friends and family who had contact with Peaches during this period described how she seemed her normal self and was making plans for the future, including a family outing for her sons for the following weekend," he continued.

"There was no cause for concern."

But on Monday morning, 7 April, Geldof's husband tried to contact her without success. He then travelled to the family home in Wrotham, Kent with his mother, Sue, and son Astala arriving at around 13:30 BST.

"Thomas entered the property and located Peaches in the spare bedroom," he said.

She was slumped across the bed "with one leg hanging down to the floor and the other leg tucked underneath her," he added. It was apparent she was dead.

Police and paramedics were called and Geldof was pronounced dead at the scene.

An initial post-mortem did not establish a cause of death and further toxicology tests were ordered. Those tests confirmed the recent use of heroin, it was disclosed on Thursday.

None of the Geldof family attended the hearing, which opened and adjourned within 10 minutes. Coroner Roger Hatch adjourned the inquest for a full hearing to take place on 23 July.

Image copyright Reuters
Image caption The funeral took place last month at the same church where Geldof's mother's funeral was held in 2000

Reacting to her death last month, Geldof's father Bob described the family as "beyond pain".

"She was the wildest, funniest, cleverest, wittiest and the most bonkers of all of us," said a statement released by her family.

"Tom and her sons, Astala and Phaedra, will always belong in our family, fractured so often, but never broken."

At her funeral service in Davington, on Easter Monday, her body was carried into church in a poignantly-decorated coffin which included a picture of her young family.

Geldof had spoken openly about her struggle to deal with her mother's death - and of experimenting with drugs in her teenage years - but had cited motherhood as a central part of her "healing" process.

Following Astala's birth in 2012, "everything started to heal", she told Elle magazine.

"Even if it's an archaic idea, I want Astala to have a mummy and daddy together for ever," she said at the time.

More on this story