My dog scratched me and almost killed me
Media playback is unsupported on your device
Video

Dr Jaco Nel: I lost my legs and part of my face after sepsis from a dog scratch

Dr Jaco Nel lost both his legs, all the fingers on one hand and suffered a facial disfigurement after he was scratched while playing with his dog.

He told the Victoria Derbyshire programme he contracted sepsis caused by bacteria in cocker spaniel Harvey's saliva.

Despite disinfecting the small scratch, Dr Nel was in a coma for several days and had to learn to walk again.

  • 20 Apr 2018
Go to next video: Victim's mum: 'We need to talk sepsis'